Pre-Cruise Covid Test

vppro

Does anyone know if I can use the AG Covid test kits sold at drugstores instead of buying the Binax test and still use eMed for the supervised testing?  Seems like the tests bought though Celebrity are much more expensive than buying from Walgreen's or CVS.  Thanks.

39 minutes ago, vppro said:

Does anyone know if I can use the AG Covid test kits sold at drugstores instead of buying the Binax test and still use eMed for the supervised testing?  Seems like the tests bought though Celebrity are much more expensive than buying from Walgreen's or CVS.  Thanks.

No, but you can use those tests with onpoint testing instead of emed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, teacherman said:

Can I use the FREE tests the government will send us together with the Onpoint testing monitor?

Yes, i received ours a week ago with exactly this in mind.  But when is your cruise and where?  The rules just changed yesterday for many cruises starting 10 Sept.  No proctoring required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vppro said:

Seems like the tests bought though Celebrity are much more expensive than buying from Walgreen's or CVS. 

The reason they are more expensive is because the price includes monitoring.

1 hour ago, teacherman said:

Can I use the FREE tests the government will send us together with the Onpoint testing monitor?

Yes with a caveat. They want the test box to be unopened. I know in my last round of free tests, I got sent a large box of 4, so if I had two left in there, I could not use it since the box was open. Otherwise, the free tests are fine. Two in my group just used Onpoint with the free test kits that were in the orange box and there was no issue. 

The Abbot tests provided by emed/Optum are not the same as the ones you buy over the counter.  Well yes they are probably the same but the emed ones are labeled as RX and have a red band and the over the counter ones are blue band box.

I believe with OnPoint if using the tests which come several to the box the internal components are all sealed and you can't open those sealed packages without the proctor observing.

12 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Yes with a caveat. They want the test box to be unopened. I know in my last round of free tests, I got sent a large box of 4, so if I had two left in there, I could not use it since the box was open. Otherwise, the free tests are fine. Two in my group just used Onpoint with the free test kits that were in the orange box and there was no issue. 

Interesting.  They sent me four individual MaximBio tests in a bubble wrap bag.  For our cruise, no proctor required, so it turns out that the OnPoint acceptance is moot.

4 hours ago, thethreeofus said:

Testing policies changed yesterday for sailings Sept 5 and after.  Depending on where you are sailing from, you may not need proctored testing.Check the website for your particular port and date. 

Where did you find the link for the particular port and date?   We are leaving out of Los Angeles (Mexican Riviera) and I am seeing conflicting information.

1 hour ago, 2belgiantervs said:

It seems strange to me that cruises out of LA 5 nights or less do not need proctored testing for vaccinated guests, but cruises of 6 nights or more need the proctored testing?

Its the same for all US ports. Not strange, just a step by step away from full testing.

15 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Probably something cooked up by the corporate Lawyers to test  the waters (so to speak) before going Full blast open cruising again.

My two lawyer daughters just said “Yup”. With two lawyer daughters, I tell people: “Watch out….I have lawyers on retainer!”.

den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I often travel with my  (retired) Nurse Wife and her multiple (retired) Nurse Friends.

People say "Gee you are Really in good hands if you have a Health Emergency?" 

Nope they ALL say if you Need medical help we will run the other way. We Did our time in that field.......

Another Incentive to stay Healthy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I would check the website first to see if you even need a test.  Royal just announced new testing guidelines and I suspect Celebrity will follow.

Celebrity announced theirs yesterday. No more vaccines necessary and new guidelines for testing. Check the website for your particular sailing.