Carnival Splendor and rodents

Goldshep

4 hours ago, Goldshep said:

Carnival has hit an all time low in my book. 

We sailed on the Splendor out of Seattle at the end of May. We paid a pretty penny for this cruise as we stayed in a Suite. 

Alaska didn’t disappoint, but Carnival sure did. From not having enough staff to support the passengers, no food available at prime times ie 11:30am (except pizza & ice cream), no decent entertainment etc. etc., when we got home we found gnawed holes in our clothes. 

Background:

Upon boarding and checking out our suite my spouse noted a vent that was not covered, it looked like a return a/c vent. The vent was rectangular and the galvanized tube on the other side was round, the rectangular vent was maybe 16x8, and the tube 6x6 so there was a significant amount of open space around it. The vent was about 4” from the floor on the wall. It appeared to be going to the outside. My spouse closed the vent to prevent air from escaping (and for privacy). Done, we didn’t think anymore about it. Fast forward through a miserable week of missing  amenities, we fly home only to find that the dirty clothes we’d piled on the floor in our cabin now had gnawed holes in them. Apparently mice or rats had chewed our clothes for nesting materials. 

As suggested we contacted Carnival Guest Services. We waited weeks for them to respond. Carnivals response was simply we’re going to notify the ship of your reports and as a gesture of good will we’ll give you $25 pp to use on your next cruise. What a joke!

Take Away-

Beware of sailing on Carnival, they were always a more budget friendly cruise line but this has taken them to a new level. 

To the OP, the one line I saw actual bugs in my room was HAL. It was in an inside room with no windows for the bug to fly in and there was some bug there. My other guests, who were in a suite, thought I was making stuff up. I called the room stewert and some hotel floor supervisor. No one believed me. Everyone was rolling their eyes and giving me dirty looks. We were all in my room when I spotted another bug. So it can happen, even on lines that aren't cheap. 

The funny thing was that I spotted the bug on the wall behind the right shoulder of the floor supervisor. The supervisor was about to squish the bug when he was taking a step back toward the wall. Without thinking, I inadvertently man handled the supervisor by grabbing him by his shirt, and yanked him away from the wall so that he didn't squish or scare off the bug. The look of sheer terror on his face when being man handled was hilarious, especially since no one believed me and the floor supervisor had this very distasteful/why are you wasting my time look on his face. In my defense, him moving closer to the bug would have scared it away or squished it. I was merely preserving the evidence. haha.

Very gross, but infestations in guest rooms can happen. 

27 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Can you post a pic of your cloths? Just wondering what it looks like. 

Here is an example. And yes I have photos of clothing worn during the cruise w/o damage. 

299BC233-CE62-47F8-98D0-DEB0EEE18C8C.jpeg

50EEDC93-A7AB-4E5A-A342-D4A5B6A1D21E.jpeg

Edited by Goldshep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Goldshep said:

Here is an example. And yes I have photos of clothing worn during the cruise w/o damage. 

299BC233-CE62-47F8-98D0-DEB0EEE18C8C.jpeg

50EEDC93-A7AB-4E5A-A342-D4A5B6A1D21E.jpeg

Wow, I am sorry that you had to go through this. Do you have other pics? Consider posting it all here on CC so others to see in the future. CCL considers the case closed after giving you a measly $25. But if this thread gains infamy, then CCL may reach out to you to further discuss this matter. Just my 2 cents.

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

There are only so many places to put dirty clothes as they accumulate in your cabin...anyway who cares.

We have always put our dirty clothes in an empty suitcase that is under the bed. I assumed everyone else did that as well. 

• Like 4

Just now, staceyglow said:

We have always put our clothes in an empty suitcase that is under the bed. I assumed everyone else did that as well. 

That's what we do and throw a drying sheet in with it to help the smell. Works out well. 👍

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I put dirty in the drawers and leave my clean cloths in my backpack. The drawers I know never get wiped down. So for me, IDK how everyone could put their clean cloths into "clean" drawers

In Packing Cubes.

Other people actually wipe them down with Clorox Wipes or Lysol.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I put dirty in the drawers and leave my clean cloths in my backpack. The drawers I know never get wiped down. So for me, IDK how everyone could put their clean cloths into "clean" drawers

I clean the drawers. Then I put my clean drawers in the clean drawers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

34 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Thanks to availabity of public laudermat on Carnival and Princess ships, I always wash my dirty clothes on last sea day before I pack them up on my trip home. Wouldn't want it any other way. 

Best way to get the rat scat out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

If this is true, that is horrible/disgusting. Rats and roaches are a line too far, time to cancel the next sailing or push it back and fumigate the ship. Not saying it isn't true but your post count isn't compelling.  

Had roaches in my cabin on Panorama sailing. Carnival gave me and my cabin a free night in a restaurant as an apology. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Goldshep said:

Interesting for sure. This makes sense too since the Splendor had recently arrived in the states from Australia specifically for the Alaskan season. I think Carnival was trying to capitalize and put all their ships back in service  while the Australian ports were still closed to cruises. 

Splendor has not been in Australia recently at all - you are wrong there.  We have not had any ships here at all since Covid close down until very recently and Splendor was not one of the ones that restarted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrSea said:

Mostly because of people like you, I wipe down the drawers (and all shelves) with Clorox wipes, dry them, then use tissue paper or gift-wrapping paper (cheap brown roll from the Dollar Store, like butcher paper) as drawer/shelf liners.  My clean clothes never actually touch the insides of the drawers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Could you make that 100% using electricity (like an electric fence)? 

image.jpeg.8b30f779216f0e77979fff31b8e84d3c.jpeg

Rats coming up the mooring lines is a very minor problem.  Many ports do not require rat guards anymore, and really only cruise ships use them all the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Janet&Carl said:

Splendor has not been in Australia recently at all - you are wrong there.  We have not had any ships here at all since Covid close down until very recently and Splendor was not one of the ones that restarted.

Splendor was in Australia for 2 years during the Covid shutdown, but not cruising with passengers. It arrived in Seattle in late April for the Alaska cruise season. I was on the May 2 sailing, which was the first cruise with passengers in over 2 years for Splendor. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-splendor-heading-to-north-america-more-australia-sailings-canceled/65352

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janet&Carl said:

Splendor was over seas (I believe in Australia) until it arrived here in the states for the start up in early May. 

• Like 1

Is that the only piece of clothing with "chew" marks?  It sounded in your post like there were multiple.  And looking at the one photo, it doesn't look like animal chew marks to me, it looks burned, like maybe cigarette burn or leaning against something hot.  

• Like 2