Celebrity says I have to contact TA for airport transfer

zitsky

Just thought I'd share my experience which maybe is common sense.  I asked Celebrity about an airport transfer.  They said "privacy" and talk to your TA.  Maybe TA will come through.  Or maybe we go with private transportation like I suggested to my fellow travelers.  We used a Viking transfer once when we also had a TA.  I don't remember any trouble booking it.  

1 hour ago, julia said:

You can arrange that in a few minutes at Guest Services and it will be charged to your account.

Thank you.  Very helpful.   But you won’t know ahead of time the price?  I’m comparing with private where I can get that price ahead of time.  But as I mentioned my party seems to want a Celebrity transfer.  I just don’t want to pay Celebrity $100 pp if private is $50 (for example).

My TA said she would do some research.  

Just now, zitsky said:

Thank you.  Very helpful.   But you won’t know ahead of time the price?  I’m comparing with private where I can get that price ahead of time.  But as I mentioned my party seems to want a Celebrity transfer.  I just don’t want to pay Celebrity $100 pp if private is $50 (for example).

My TA said she would do some research.  

It varies by port.  Don't think we've ever paid more than $20 when we've taken the ship transfer, but Civi to FCO is a longer bus ride than many.  We never knew until we were aboard and bought them, but always knew it would be reasonable.  Since Miami does the contracting, they should know the exact price.  I wonder if the shorex folks in Miami have that info?  If you have time, might be worth talking to them.

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

It varies by port.  Don't think we've ever paid more than $20 when we've taken the ship transfer, but Civi to FCO is a longer bus ride than many.  We never knew until we were aboard and bought them, but always knew it would be reasonable.  Since Miami does the contracting, they should know the exact price.  I wonder if the shorex folks in Miami have that info?  If you have time, might be worth talking to them.

Shorex will probably say talk to TA?

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Shorex will probably say talk to TA?

Absolutely no reason they should say that, any more than if you were booking a shore excursion through them, which you normally do entirely independently of your TA.  I've talked directly with both the shorex desk and Private Journey many times for details regarding excursions, and I always book through a TA.

I forget the name of the service we used...but just as a further benchmark, it was 157 Euros for 4 adults and a teenager in a nice Mercedes van. Well worth it imo...

This was mid-June of this year...

(the service jwlane posted sounds very familiar...lol...) 

Edited by dlh015

When you use a travel agent, the Travel agent controls the booking and Celebrity generally will not talk to you about its details.

For booking a transfer from the ship to the airport, you take care of that on the ship not ahead of time. And yes that means that you don’t know the cost of it until you are on the ship and they tell you that the booking is available.

On Beyond in Mai we could book X bus transfer from Civitavecchia port to FCO for 65 or 69 Euros or USD pp ( do not remember exactly and not much difference anymore between Euro and USD).

But we used a shared shuttle of Rome Limousines also because we could time it better (various times to chose from)and was only USD 80 per couple.  They were very punctual and good.

Edited by Michidoeme

The train station is pretty close to the pier and you can easily get a train to the airport for a lot less.  

We got a train to downtown Rome for €5 a person in May.  I think the Airport might be a bit more, but not much.  

2 hours ago, jules181 said:

The train station is pretty close to the pier and you can easily get a train to the airport for a lot less.  

We got a train to downtown Rome for €5 a person in May.  I think the Airport might be a bit more, but not much.  

It makes absolutely no sense to use the train if you need to go to the airport. It would mean taking the train to Rome then changing trains to go to the airport, making the trip twice as long and alot more effort. 

This would need added by the TA. You can try to call the number listed under Manage Reservations but they may or may not do it. FWIW, a transfer for four from the port to the airport is roughly 150/160 USD through all of the commonly recommended transfer services. 

Keep in mind this is my second Celebrity cruise.  The first was several years ago and I don’t seem to have notes about transfer.  I think it had something to do with a horse and carriage?

I was on a phone call with TA and Celebrity.

FROM Celebrity Reflection, Civitavecchia, Italy TO FCO International airport Oct 7, 2022 was quoted $71.95 PER PERSON.  Departing return flight is 12.30 pm local time.  ESTIMATED recommended departure time from ship was given by Celebrity rep as 7.30 to 8 am local time.

I will discuss with our party and decide how we transfer.

27 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It makes absolutely no sense to use the train if you need to go to the airport. It would mean taking the train to Rome then changing trains to go to the airport, making the trip twice as long and alot more effort. 

It would make sense if you'd rather spend €11/pp on a train rather than $72/pp that Celebrity have quoted for a private transfer. Drive takes about 50 mins depending on traffic. Train will take 1hr 20mins. Not that much in it really.

43 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It makes loads of sense if you would rather not spend 5-10x the cost of the train and are willing to take more time. 

We do that sort of thing often when travelling, like in London.  The tube to Heathrow may take an hour instead of 40 minutes, but it costs roughly 10% of what a taxi or private car might run you.  Easy choice if you aren't in a rush and are willing to walk a bit.

29 minutes ago, canderson said:

What, a post-cruise airport transfer?  When we've done this, probably a dozen times, we have always purchased aboard at Guest Relations early in the cruise.

You can do whatever you want on board, but there is a whole section of the TA portal dedicated to arranging transfers. Since Celebrity agents can't see a TA held reservation I'm not 100% sure they can even do it over the phone.