Norwegian Breakaway Rescues Refugees

BirdTravels

On it return from Cozumel to Miami, the bridge crew of the Norwegian Breakaway sited a small boat indicating that it was in distress about 30 miles off the coast of Havana. After circling back and assessing the situation, the Captain of the Breakaway, Andreas Karlstroem, ordered a rescue craft to begin transferring refugees from the small boat to the Breakaway. 
8476C4CA-48A9-4854-A1BF-105AAE7870A6.thumb.jpeg.daeae9d291d7e4840c66eae1299a116f.jpegB3F9114C-A43D-4FB6-849D-8AA416F88626.thumb.jpeg.014383801927fde52435b98633ce39c5.jpeg

CBFBFDC7-C5AA-4E2C-B816-63F3085628DB.jpeg

B2DBF817-78C6-4015-8E19-C29224EBF8F4.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 9

These folks were rescued in international waters.  I'm pretty sure US Border Patrol is not going to want them to land in Miami (maybe I am mistaken), does anyone know what the process/procedure is from here?

32 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

These folks were rescued in international waters.  I'm pretty sure US Border Patrol is not going to want them to land in Miami (maybe I am mistaken), does anyone know what the process/procedure is from here?

I believe the Coast Guard is responsible for migrants found at sea. At some point they will intervene and return them to their home countries. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Uff da said:

I believe the Coast Guard is responsible for migrants found at sea. At some point they will intervene and return them to their home countries. 

Yes they will be sent back. At one time if Cuban refugees actually made it to land in the US they were given asylum not sure if that’s still the case but these people will be sent back to Cuba eventually. 

Sad these people risk their lives on the ocean to get to US for the freedoms most Americans take for granted

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I’m sure the Captain notified the coast guard who will be waiting in Miami 

Just now, njkate said:

I’m sure the Captain notified the coast guard who will be waiting in Miami 

Not only did he notify the USCG, but he received clearance to take the refugees onboard from the USCG, this was not his decision alone.  Very often, if the people don't look like they are in imminent danger, the USCG will have the vessel merely standby until a cutter arrives on scene.

And, since the Breakaway is not US territory, there is no "dry foot" here, upon arrival in Miami, these people will be taken in custody by USCG and ICE and then returned to Cuba.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Not only did he notify the USCG, but he received clearance to take the refugees onboard from the USCG, this was not his decision alone.  Very often, if the people don't look like they are in imminent danger, the USCG will have the vessel merely standby until a cutter arrives on scene.

And, since the Breakaway is not US territory, there is no "dry foot" here, upon arrival in Miami, these people will be taken in custody by USCG and ICE and then returned to Cuba.

My daughter in laws sister was in Coast Guard this is just another day for those stationed in Florida and along the gulf coast. I did not realize the Coast Guard had to give the ok for Captain to rescue but makes perfect sense 

One thing for sure, those people were very lucky with the calmness of the ocean.  Look at the second picture and how much that craft is listing in very calm waters.  I do not think that craft could stand even a 2 foot chop with that many people on it.  

50 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

One thing for sure, those people were very lucky with the calmness of the ocean.  Look at the second picture and how much that craft is listing in very calm waters.  I do not think that craft could stand even a 2 foot chop with that many people on it.  

It looks to me like they've got about 2-3' of freeboard there.  It's listing because they've all crowded to the side nearest the tender.  That boat is high tech compared to some I've seen.  Had to stand by until USCG arrived for 4 guys in a packing crate with a 1x6 for an oar.

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It looks to me like they've got about 2-3' of freeboard there.  It's listing because they've all crowded to the side nearest the tender.  That boat is high tech compared to some I've seen.  Had to stand by until USCG arrived for 4 guys in a packing crate with a 1x6 for an oar.

How often does this actually happen?  I don't recall hearing anything about it on the news but I'd imagine with all the boats out there it isn't uncommon.

2 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

How often does this actually happen?  I don't recall hearing anything about it on the news but I'd imagine with all the boats out there it isn't uncommon.

Unless the ship involved is a high profile one like a cruise ship, you won't hear about it at all, especially when the ship doesn't take the people onboard, just stands by for the USCG, in case things go sideways.  I would say that weekly at a minimum there's a "craft" intercepted in the Straits.

• Like 1

How often does this happen?  We were on RC Symphony last week and someone on their balcony spotted a couple of people in the water.  The boat turned around and the US Coast Guard rescued them.  They supposedly had been searching for them for 18 hours.  I thought that this was a crazy coincidence but it seems like it happens more than I thought.  

They never said who the people were or if they were refugees but they did find a small raft on the other side of the boat.  They didn't give us much information.

Edited by jp2746