Luggage size

Nextcruise42

2 hours ago, Nextcruise42 said:

Does anyone know what size luggage can be carried on and go through security? 

It is totally dependent upon the x-ray machines used by the local port (not NCL). That being said, your fellow passengers would be reeallllly happy if you would use the porter versus dragging your luggage through the terminal, gangway, in the dining rooms, in the halls, on the pool deck. 

• Like 1

the porters at the dock do an excellent and remarkable job of taking care of the luggage. although it's totally up to you, i think  youre doing yourself a major disservice dragging a large suitcase around the ship with you, until your cabin is ready. remember, before  you get into your cabin, you are directed to the pool area, or the buffet. imagine dragging a 26 or  28 in suitcase around. you need to get into an elevator, with other people going  to essentially the same places. give the porter the luggage, give him/her about $10, and dont worry about it. you wouldnt drag these pieces on board a plane (and they wouldnt let  you anyway) why drag them along on the ship.  it's ok to bring  your carry-on with you, we do it all the time. but the big pieces fahgaddaboutit!

My husband and I pack one backpack and one carry-on (think airline carry-on) for a 7 - 9 day cruise for both of us combined. We're lazy and check the carry-on, even though it's super easy to maneuver. We just don't want to deal with it in the terminal. The backpack will get us through the evening since it has our phone chargers in it. 

I agree, I have never had an issue with porters getting bags to the ship. We always bring 1 backpack with Meds, Boarding documents as well as a bathing suit each as we tend to get right to the pools once onboard. Pretty much if it can fit through the xray machine your good!

On 8/19/2022 at 6:30 PM, BirdTravels said:

It is totally dependent upon the x-ray machines used by the local port (not NCL). That being said, your fellow passengers would be reeallllly happy if you would use the porter versus dragging your luggage through the terminal, gangway, in the dining rooms, in the halls, on the pool deck. 

Thats too bad for them. Their are zero rules or regulations against carrying your own stuff. Both my wife and I drag our 22 inch carryon and backpacks. Having seen several people who ended up with "Lost" luggage we will continue to do it. We only check our large luggage 

We've never had a problem with getting our bags on board when we use the porters.  The only problem I have ever witnessed during the loading of luggage onto the ship was when a forklift operator dropped the holding pallet of suitcases into the water....ooops.....I was glad our bags were not among those going for a pre cruise swim!

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Thats too bad for them. Their are zero rules or regulations against carrying your own stuff. Both my wife and I drag our 22 inch carryon and backpacks. Having seen several people who ended up with "Lost" luggage we will continue to do it. We only check our large luggage 

I sincerely doubt that my carry-on and backpack parked next to my chair in the MDR for that first lunch aboard is bothering anyone.  I was interested in the answer to this because we are sailing out of our home port on a transatlantic but have a land itinerary using multiple trains in Europe afterwards.  We always travel carry-on only no matter how long the trip but sailing out of our home port presents us with the unique opportunity to bring "extra stuff" that would be convenient to have on the cruise but we will use up by the end of the cruise.  I'm thinking we will just pack this extra/disposable stuff in a plastic "rice bag".  I would want to keep it with me because a cheap rice bag is not any protection at all for its (likely flimsy) contents.  So . . . back to the question asked by OP.  I am going to assume that the scanners are okay with any bag that is standard carry-on size or smaller.

I also want to point out that most people do check a big bag, particularly on cruises.  BUT those of us who travel carry-on only are generally less trusting about checking the the carry-on bag because we have NO other luggage.  Losing that carry-on bag would be a much bigger problem for us than it would be for someone who has checked a big bag with plenty of stuff in it. 

4 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I sincerely doubt that my carry-on and backpack parked next to my chair in the MDR for that first lunch aboard is bothering anyone.  I was interested in the answer to this because we are sailing out of our home port on a transatlantic but have a land itinerary using multiple trains in Europe afterwards.  We always travel carry-on only no matter how long the trip but sailing out of our home port presents us with the unique opportunity to bring "extra stuff" that would be convenient to have on the cruise but we will use up by the end of the cruise.  I'm thinking we will just pack this extra/disposable stuff in a plastic "rice bag".  I would want to keep it with me because a cheap rice bag is not any protection at all for its (likely flimsy) contents.  So . . . back to the question asked by OP.  I am going to assume that the scanners are okay with any bag that is standard carry-on size or smaller.

I also want to point out that most people do check a big bag, particularly on cruises.  BUT those of us who travel carry-on only are generally less trusting about checking the the carry-on bag because we have NO other luggage.  Losing that carry-on bag would be a much bigger problem for us than it would be for someone who has checked a big bag with plenty of stuff in it. 

If your only taking a carry-on I would not even think about checking them. And yes, driving to the port like for us on cruises out of NYC affords you the ability of bringing extra stuff. I will usually carry all of our dive / snorkeling gear in a large rolling duffle bag that gets check. We twice brought small folding chairs to take with us on cruises to Bermuda

Edited by Laszlo

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Why drag a 22” case and check a bigger piece? Why not check both? 

Bermuda is definitely a place where you could use a couple of cheapo folding chairs and an umbrella.  Unless you can snag space in one of the sea caves, Bermudian beaches have a total lack of shade.  My husband is nice enough to nip out and get us 2 giant cups of coffee first thing in the morning on cruises.  Normally we bring our Yeti cups but this time I'm thinking a large sleeve (it's a 18 day crossing) of disposable coffee cups as one of our convenience items. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

My carryon is smaller than 22" but it does have my medications, camera, ipad etc.   Things that are more critical than my clothes, should it get lost, stolen, smashed or dropped in the harbor.

I could use a backpack but the suitcase has wheels so I don't have to actually carry it much (and camera equipment can get pretty heavy).

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Really? All the traveling you have done?

My backpack and 22 inch carry on contain certain things I never want to check.

One is a change of clothes for at least 3 days, usually 4. 

My laptop

Various camera gear, I usually carry 2-3 cameras alongs with the stuff that goes along with them

A couple meds I take

I always overpack so their is that also

In / On my backpack and carry on I keep a Tile tracker or AirTag

In our larger suitcase we put everything else, in my rolling duffle bag goes our snorkeling gear and any other large items.

Is it overkill? You bet it is Lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Bermuda is definitely a place where you could use a couple of cheapo folding chairs and an umbrella.  Unless you can snag space in one of the sea caves, Bermudian beaches have a total lack of shade.  My husband is nice enough to nip out and get us 2 giant cups of coffee first thing in the morning on cruises.  Normally we bring our Yeti cups but this time I'm thinking a large sleeve (it's a 18 day crossing) of disposable coffee cups as one of our convenience items. 

We have taken these beach chairs to Bermuda and some other islands a half dozen times. They are very light, compact and easy to carry. We tend to go off the beaten path or at least for enough away that renting chairs or an umbrella won't work

https://amzn.to/3R04uEP

We also take the smallest version of the Neso beach tent, its also light and compact. We have the larger version for our local beach

https://amzn.to/3CpXU6h

Edited by Laszlo

7 hours ago, Laszlo said:

We have taken these beach chairs to Bermuda and some other islands a half dozen times. They are very light, compact and easy to carry. We tend to go off the beaten path or at least for enough away that renting chairs or an umbrella won't work

https://amzn.to/3R04uEP

We also take the smallest version of the Neso beach tent, its also light and compact. We have the larger version for our local beach

https://amzn.to/3CpXU6h

That is a great product.  I would definitely buy it but, not being a Caribbean/beach type cruiser I would not get enough use out of it. 

• Like 1