Lobster rolls on MSC private island

jamon

For those in the Yacht Club they are a menu item in the YC's restaurant (on the island) at no extra charge.  I do not know the current price for outside the YC, but with the prices of everything always increasing you might want to wait and see.  DW and I are big fans of Maine Lobster and lobster rolls (as you get them in New England) and the version on MSC is just OK.  On a scale of 1-10 I would give them about a 4.  

Hank

Hi, the lobster rolls are at food truck on the left hand side before the entrance to the Yacht Club beach...just past the employees beach.

Can't remember the exact price, but under $15, well worth it.

Hours vary based on your ship arrival (actual arrival vs. scheduled due to wind/weather)...plus they have been known to sell out.

Enjoy OC regardless!

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

For those in the Yacht Club they are a menu item in the YC's restaurant (on the island) at no extra charge.  I do not know the current price for outside the YC, but with the prices of everything always increasing you might want to wait and see.  DW and I are big fans of Maine Lobster and lobster rolls (as you get them in New England) and the version on MSC is just OK.  On a scale of 1-10 I would give them about a 4.  

Hank

Any recommendations for Maine? DH and I are going in a few weeks, flying into Boston and will be going up the coast possibly as far as Bar Harbor.

43 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

Any recommendations for Maine? DH and I are going in a few weeks, flying into Boston and will be going up the coast possibly as far as Bar Harbor.

I will leave the recommendations to those who live in New England (we are only occasional visitors).  But decent lobster and lobster rolls are relatively common throughout coastal New England.   DW loves the lobster rolls at James Hook & Co, but this is a dumpy place (you can eat in their parking lot at picnic tables) located relatively close to Boston's cruise port (previously known as the Black Falcon Terminal).   But my own criteria for decent lobster roll is that it must be made from fresh Maine lobster (not lobster tails) with very little add-ins.  In simple terms a good lobster roll is loaded with the freshest and best lobster meat.  DW eats her lobster rolls, but my own preference is for a decent 2-3 pound lobster from the tank to the pot to my plate :).  

By the way, for cruisers that want really good lobster it can be found at Kelly's Landing which is located off 17th Street in Ft Lauderdale.  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

DW and I are big fans of Maine Lobster and lobster rolls (as you get them in New England) and the version on MSC is just OK.  On a scale of 1-10 I would give them about a 4.  

I'd rank them a 4, too.  And you definitely need to order more than one as it's about 2 1/2 ounces of lobster in them! 🙂

I was on the Seashore last week and thought the lobster roll hit the spot.  I'm not a lobster roll expert nor from NE but I'm not surprised if afficiandos thought they were mediocre.  It is why I don't eat crab cakes when outside of MD.  I know that it is extremely likely to not meet my expectations because of what I can get locally.  

5 hours ago, mnpurple said:

I would, if I had enough time, travel up US-1 North of Portland to Freeport to stop in LL. Bean's flagship store, then continue up US-1 to Brunswick to SR-24 that leads to Bailey Island.  Its an old quaint village with a gift store at the waters edge.  Beautiful.  At least was in the mid 80's when I lived in Brunswick.

Then next town North is Bath.  Small quaint downtown.  There is a shipyard there where Navy Destroyers are built. Not sure if tours are done.  I lived a block or 2 away from there in the mid 80's as well.

Then just travel up US-1.  You will see a ton of restaurants for lobster rolls.  I use to get them off the pier for a $1 a pound steamed right there then bring home in the mid 80's.  Am sure those days are long gone.

You can go as slow as you need or as fast.  Just know the faster you go, the more you will miss.

Bottom line.  Go US-1 North after Portland and you can's go wrong...

There, thats my 2 cents worth for visiting Maine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I agree.  We have had fabulous lobster rolls but not on MSC.  

The ones served at YC restaurant on Ocean Cay are OK.  I would call them "lobster" rolls because the last two times we had them, they were primarily shrimp with some small lobster bits. Mayonnaise based with onion and celery. Tasted like shrimp salad. I ordered two and combined filling into one roll 🙄

39 minutes ago, phissy said:

I ordered two and combined filling into one roll 🙄

Not a bad idea!  Whatever quality of the Lobster Roll, too much bread and not enough filling for me.  But, then, with the quantity of filling for two of the Rolls:  how in the world will I be able to keep it together to eat it?  (Ditch the roll and enjoy its contents!)

The Ocean House on Ocean Cay served a good Lobster Roll, I thought.  Probably not Maine quality.  But, I don't live close to Maine to enjoy such an item.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mnpurple said:

As you drive northwards try the lobster rolls at The Beach Plum in either Portsmouth or Hampton, NH.  Many other places too numerous to mention...