How soon after final payment do prices come way down?

DebInAntigua

3 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Unless you have booked via a TA, when they want it well before Celebrity need it.

Our recent cruise, payment date 05/05/22 for cruise on 30/07/22.

Certainly not here or I'd be with a new agent as fast as I could dial for a new one.

Here, credit card is used on the day final is due, and not before.

They're paid well enough such that there's no need to live off the float from our payments -- not that 'the float' has amounted to much over recent years.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Certainly not here or I'd be with a new agent as fast as I could dial for a new one.

Here, credit card is used on the day final is due, and not before.

They're paid well enough such that there's no need to live off the float from our payments -- not that 'the float' has amounted to much over recent years.

There are agents here that want payt  14 weeks prior to sailing

Celebrity Silhouette
I2

Departure:
13th May 2023, 16:00

Return:
25th May 2023, 06:00

Total to Pay:
£2835.54
(£1417.77 each)

Total Deposit Price (Final Due Date 28th Jan 2023) £300.00

1 hour ago, canderson said:

So looks like they're holding your money for an extra month.  They have to pay X at 90 days out from sailing.

If I book direct with X it’s about 8 weeks . Just cancelled Equinox sailing 12th Nov and final payment was 12th September 

16 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

If I book direct with X it’s about 8 weeks . Just cancelled Equinox sailing 12th Nov and final payment was 12th September 

Wow - seems nothing is quite the same on your side of 'the channel'.

Here in the U.S., final is 90 days out from the sail date. 

I find no predictability.  
Basically, decide when and where you are interested, and check every day.  If you see an acceptable price, jump. 

For example, I got a balcony, cruise only, for $1049 for two including taxes and $250 OBC the first week of August for a Solstice LA to MX.  the $250 OBC covers the bottled water package we want, and our Elite+ covers the coffee shop.  I’ll pay the service charges at some point.  Still an amazing bargain. 

I just got my crystal ball out and I predict that if the ship is half empty 30 days before the cruise, they will probably drop the price somewhat.

Unfortunately, I can't predict if the ship will be half empty.  As others have said watch the prices and if you find an acceptable price make a purchase and then keep watching to see if it drops again.  If it does drop again call and try to get on-board credit.

On one of my cruises, I got an extra $700 of on-board credit during a price drop.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, emmas gran said:

I did use this agent and during soon realised they didn't pass payt on till maybe 4/6 weeks before sailing as you make payment to them not cruise lines. This is common with agents in UK.

We fell foul of this during the covid cancellations right at the end when sailings had started up again. The money had not been paid to the the cruise line by the TA. The cruise line that cancelled the cruise (a transatlantic) were refunding in 14 days. We had to wait 90 days for the agency to refund our money. 

Edited by downsmead

On 8/20/2022 at 10:25 AM, Lastdance said:

I made final payment over a month ago; my cruise has over 60+ suites available, not to mention so many cabins.  The suite prices are, as high as, they have ever been, so am expecting lots of MoveUp bids...over 14,000 for an S3, on a 12 day cruise in Europe.   I usually book a suite, but doing a b2b, I booked an SV on deck 11, getting a great deal and all perks, including premium  bev package.  My suite is on the second cruise, and those are all sold out.  I always book when cruises are first released, then watch for price drops.

How do you find out about price drops?

6 hours ago, emmas gran said:

We are on Nov 12 sailing, booked direct with X. Final payment was August 14.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:42 AM, DebInAntigua said:

I'm toying with the idea of taking a Caribbean cruise in early November, just because we miss it soooo much. We also want to test out a cheaper inside cabin to see if we can tolerate inside as a way to cruise a lot more often (and literally do some working cruises).

The final payment date for the cruise I'm eyeing is in just a few days. How soon after final payment does X tend to cut prices significantly to bring in more pax? Right away or much closer to departure?

We need to take an international flight up to Florida so waiting to save on the cruise could always backfire with more expensive flights. I would love to get advice from those who frequently book within final payment window. We book year(s) in advance normally!

Sometimes, never.

I saw the prices on several Celebrity trans-Atlantics drop to below $500 for a few days about a month after final payment. This was without booze, wifi, or tips, and these inside cabins are now up to almost $900. Still a good deal, but $450 is better.

12 hours ago, canderson said:

Wow - seems nothing is quite the same on your side of 'the channel'.

Here in the U.S., final is 90 days out from the sail date. 

This is why that have to pay substantially more than we Americans do for cruises. The government requires them to be more generous on refunds, so they make it up with increased fares.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, DebInAntigua said:

I'm toying with the idea of taking a Caribbean cruise in early November, just because we miss it soooo much. We also want to test out a cheaper inside cabin to see if we can tolerate inside as a way to cruise a lot more often (and literally do some working cruises).

The final payment date for the cruise I'm eyeing is in just a few days. How soon after final payment does X tend to cut prices significantly to bring in more pax? Right away or much closer to departure?

We need to take an international flight up to Florida so waiting to save on the cruise could always backfire with more expensive flights. I would love to get advice from those who frequently book within final payment window. We book year(s) in advance normally!

Do not count on prices coming down.  Now the prices are going up- seems like daily.  Ships are now sailing full.  Book as soon as you can- this goes for air also.  I do not recommend an inside cabin.  Good luck.

Edited by Cruise a holic

10 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Do not count on prices coming down.  Now the prices are going up- seems like daily.  Ships are now sailing full.  Book as soon as you can- this goes for air also.  I do not recommend an inside cabin.  Good luck.

I have been on inside cabins and been happy. It depends on what you care about. To each his own.