What are your favorite most memorable complimentary dishes from HAL?

zhuangcorp

Panama Rolls which are also known by other names depending upon the geographic location of the ship when they are served.  

Dutch Pea Soup, served on the outer decks and in the Crow's Nest, when the ship is sailing in an environment where it is appropriate:  Prinz Christian Sund, Antarctica, Alaska as examples.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

I've heard some people recommend the bread pudding from Lido, somebody mentioned peanut butter pie. 

What are your favorite or most memorable complimentary dishes from your HAL cruise?

Currently on Niew Statendam. The hot chocolate in Dutch Cafe was great to have 

after walking around Greenland and Iceland at 41° temps. Pea soup is delicious.

In the Lido for lunch, lasagna and bread pudding are favorites. I agree with the 

person who liked the black forest cake.

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

Currently on Niew Statendam. The hot chocolate in Dutch Cafe was great to have 

after walking around Greenland and Iceland at 41° temps. Pea soup is delicious.

In the Lido for lunch, lasagna and bread pudding are favorites. I agree with the 

person who liked the black forest cake.

No sugar added, really!?

I just can't imagine how that could taste good. But if several of you insist on it, maybe I should try it. 

I recently bought some "Keto" peanut butter cups at Costco thinking that you can't mess up a peanut butter cup, but actually it tastes awful to me. Almost like medicine. 

8 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

No sugar added, really!?

I just can't imagine how that could taste good. But if several of you insist on it, maybe I should try it. 

I recently bought some "Keto" peanut butter cups at Costco thinking that you can't mess up a peanut butter cup, but actually it tastes awful to me. Almost like medicine. 

I HATE the taste of sugar substitute, and can spot it a mile away, but whatever they do to the Black Forest Cake they have managed to remove that “flavor”.  I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.  No idea how they do it but I’m not complaining.  

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The bitterballen are only served from 4 or 4:30 to maybe 8 or so unless something has changed.

During HH, if then.  Certainly not one of the usual "goodies" that I have been served during HH during recent cruises.

12 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

The pea soup and Dover Sole on Dutch Night, a crime they stopped Dutch Night.

Want Dover Sole?  Make a booking for Rudi's Sel de Mer.  You won't be disappointed.  Expect to see it offered in the MDR?  Buying a Mega Million Lottery ticket  might give you a better chance of winning anymore.  

9 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

In the Lido for lunch, lasagna and bread pudding are favorites

Bread Pudding with vanilla sauce?  Yes.  I have been surprised that Indonesian, Indian, and other chefs of different nationalities can prepare many Italian items as well as they do.  At least, for my taste buds.  

12 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

a crime they stopped Dutch Night.

Agree!  Once upon a time, Dutch Night was not solely an event in the MDR.  It extended into the public rooms as well.  Rotterdam V, early '70's, it was a Dutch Fair atmosphere, the Club Room hosted an extensive late night buffet, Captain LaGaay and some of his Officers mingled with the guests.  It was a "vibe" that made cruising Dutch" different!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

During HH, if then.  Certainly not one of the usual "goodies" that I have been served during HH during recent cruises.

Want Dover Sole?  Make a booking for Rudi's Sel de Mer.  You won't be disappointed.  Expect to see it offered in the MDR?  Buying a Mega Million Lottery ticket  might give you a better chance of winning anymore.  

Bread Pudding with vanilla sauce?  Yes.  I have been surprised that Indonesian, Indian, and other chefs of different nationalities can prepare many Italian items as well as they do.  At least, for my taste buds.  

Agree!  Once upon a time, Dutch Night was not solely an event in the MDR.  It extended into the public rooms as well.  Rotterdam V, early '70's, it was a Dutch Fair atmosphere, the Club Room hosted an extensive late night buffet, Captain LaGaay and some of his Officers mingled with the guests.  It was a "vibe" that made cruising Dutch" different!  

Agree about Dover Sole in Rudi's Sel de Mer. It was delicious. It was a big piece and 

the waitress deboned it at the table. I would recommend making reservation asap.

I bought 2 of Rudi's cookbooks that that sell - one for me and one for a friend back home.

Also agree that the Italian food on this ship is terrific. When my stepfather and I 

ate at Canalettos, I ordered chicken parmesan. I ordered 1/2 size and it was big 

enough for me. My stepfather wanted the veal meatballs as an entree, but it was an 

appetizer. They gave him an entree sized portion. It's good to ask.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

What is bitterballen?

image.thumb.jpeg.d57a99135f3c5b466082fe0f4cb48ed0.jpeg

It is a typical Dutch treat and they are small fried crispy balls with a filling of ragout (very dense stew) with veal or beef (prawns or cheese is also possible). They taste great with some mustard and a nice cold beer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

I absolutely love them, and I'm not even on a Keto diet!  A bit more chalky in texture, but I love the chocolate density.  I'm now switching to Keto ice cream as well.

Favorite complimentary dishes on HAL?  I've only been onboard 8 nights in total, so I don't remember.  Love the breakfast options, especially Asian breakfast.

On recent cruises I have been enjoying the varieties of candied salmon entrees.  Of course they don’t call them that but that is what the are, nice planks of salmon with different sweet crusts or glazes.  

After reading this thread, I'm really interested in trying the 'bitterballen' treat on a future sailing (next on NA March 2023). 😋

Is it available at any time on other than Pinnacle Class ships with the Grand Dutch Cafe venue? 🤞

• Like 1

I am not sure exactly when they are available because I still have to make my first cruise with HAL (just 449 more nights before we go) but I did see a youtube video of food on one of the HAL cruises and they had "kroketten" as a late night snack at the Lido Market.

Bitterballen and kroketten are essentially the same thing, the only difference being the shape. A bitterbal is round and a kroket is longer. I attached a picture showing both.

So, if you can't find a bitterbal, you might get be able to find a kroket in the evening at the lido Market.

VG-DB-OVEN-FORM-PAGE-ELEMENT-011.png

Edit: found the video showing the kroketten and some other typical dutch treats after 24 seconds.

Edited by firsttimer1971
Added link to the video
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, firsttimer1971 said:

I am not sure exactly when they are available because I still have to make my first cruise with HAL (just 449 more nights before we go) but I did see a youtube video of food on one of the HAL cruises and they had "kroketten" as a late night snack at the Lido Market.

Bitterballen and kroketten are essentially the same thing, the only difference being the shape. A bitterbal is round and a kroket is longer. I attached a picture showing both.

So, if you can't find a bitterbal, you might get be able to find a kroket in the evening at the lido Market.

Edit: found the video showing the kroketten and some other typical dutch treats after 24 seconds.

The MDR lunch as a "Veal Kroket". Is that the same thing as these 2 Bitterballen and Kroketten?

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, firsttimer1971 said:

Awesome... thanks! Looking forward to trying one or both of them on our NA sailing next March!