Captain

Hill4963

2 hours ago, Hill4963 said:

Hi do anyone no which captain is on N233 1 Dec '22 - 5 Jan '23 (Xmas and New Year) thanks.

I'm curious to know what difference it makes as to who the Captain is.

I kind of get at one time doing transatlantic crossings, and going for the Blue Ribbon, but there are so many cruise ships now, I can't see it making any difference.

I wouldn't ask who the no.76 bus driver is, or who the Leeds to London train driver is.

As it is a Xmas cruise perhaps you're hoping for a Captain with a long white beard.

Have you actually booked the cruise in question, or is it dependant on whom the Captain is?

Do you not want to know who the entertainers are? You are far more likely to see them as opposed to the Captain.

Is it perhaps that you are a P&O Captain and you've lost your rota, and can't remember if you're on this one or not?

I hope you are not Captain Hill, because your username on here may have given you away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

You are far more likely to see them as opposed to the Captain.

As the Captain usually has a role to play on Christmas Eve needing a nice red coat you might have hit the nail on the head about the white beard.  N indicates Iona as the ship.  As the Capitain/Santa appears at the funnel at least the pollution won't choke the reindeers ....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

There are a couple of captains out there who I feel have brought a bit extra to our overall experience.  As well as other crew ranging from cabin stewards to senior officers from all departments.

I agree. We used to love being on Hamish's ships and in latter years Neil Turnbull always makes us smile.

• Like 2

Have to agree.  i couldn't care less who the Captain is as long as he knows what he is doing.  Gone are the days, when you had skippers like Captain Box, who gave running commentaries whilst going through the Bospherus etc.  Doesn't happen any more.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I won't mention names, but the captain on Arcadia earlier this year was the most uninspirational individual I have ever heard. 

Just a monotonous voice reading a prepared script- really awful.

If you mean the one who was standing in for Martyn Sharples for the first week of 5th July cruise I agree. He was probably fed up at having to do cover. However, Martyn Sharples was the complete opposite, patrolling the decks, talking to passengers, etc. Very amusing and personable.

14 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

If you mean the one who was standing in for Martyn Sharples for the first week of 5th July cruise I agree. He was probably fed up at having to do cover. However, Martyn Sharples was the complete opposite, patrolling the decks, talking to passengers, etc. Very amusing and personable.

No, I'm talking about the March/April cruise this year.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 6:15 PM, Hill4963 said:

Hi do anyone no which captain is on N233 1 Dec '22 - 5 Jan '23 (Xmas and New Year) thanks.

We are on this cruise.  The Moments  magazine said Alan Hawkins is the captain up until  Dec 18th.   No mention of who will replace him after this date.  

15 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks.  Must remind myself to chase up P&O re mail, even though we're opted in.

Dont even bother wasting you time and energy you might as well talk to a brick wall. I did not receive Christmas calendar last year and contacted them they eventually sent one at end of January. Queried with them as to why I had not received it as opted in to receive mail from P&O, they said they didnt know why but would sort it. Still no mail or e-mails from P&O so contacted them via P&Os Faceache page and every time they have said they will sort it. Still got no joy so contacted them again and they sent an e-mail address to write to Loyalty department so they could sort it. Still no success so have given up, bit annoying as have been cruising with P&O for 22yrs was Baltic but now Caribbean for few years and only have 4 cruises currently booked with P&O for 2023/24 obviously I am not loyal enough.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Dont even bother wasting you time and energy you might as well talk to a brick wall. I did not receive Christmas calendar last year and contacted them they eventually sent one at end of January. Queried with them as to why I had not received it as opted in to receive mail from P&O, they said they didnt know why but would sort it. Still no mail or e-mails from P&O so contacted them via P&Os Faceache page and every time they have said they will sort it. Still got no joy so contacted them again and they sent an e-mail address to write to Loyalty department so they could sort it. Still no success so have given up, bit annoying as have been cruising with P&O for 22yrs was Baltic but now Caribbean for few years and only have 4 cruises currently booked with P&O for 2023/24 obviously I am not loyal enough.

There's your problem right away. There's no point contacting the Loyalty Dept. they don't reward loyalty.

Here's the email you need foroperationalreasons@p&o.co.uk.

I contacted them to ask them, whilst I didn't have a BLC card, I had just eaten a BLT, and could I get extra OBC as a result. They were very polite but said this didn't qualify, however I have been assured that I am on their mailing list and the For Operational Reasons Department will be in touch should  a BLT qualify in the future. 

This department really seems to know what they are doing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

There's your problem right away. There's no point contacting the Loyalty Dept. they don't reward loyalty.

Here's the email you need foroperationalreasons@p&o.co.uk.

I contacted them to ask them, whilst I didn't have a BLC card, I had just eaten a BLT, and could I get extra OBC as a result. They were very polite but said this didn't qualify, however I have been assured that I am on their mailing list and the For Operational Reasons Department will be in touch should  a BLT qualify in the future. 

This department really seems to know what they are doing.

After repeated requests to P&O on their Faceache page with no success it was them that gave me Loyalty Dept e-mail and told me to e-mail them and they would sort it out.

• 9 months later...

Can anyone confirm who is the current Captain of Iona? We are on cruise G321 leaving Southampton on 1st July so starting to get excited now only 3 weeks to go. We are taking my wife’s mother, her first cruise so wanting things to be as good as possible. The Captains announcements can really add to the experience IMHO.

thanks