My changing opinion on sailing Explora...

Nashna

Did you notice the egg on my face? A month ago, I created a cruise critic storm when I posted that I would not sail on Explora because I feared that I would not enjoy sailing as a passenger in steerage after experiencing the YC. In addition, our cruising budget would not allow for a suite; we would be sailing in a standard balcony. Well...I failed at interpreting Explora's advertising. I neglected to notice the "per suite" pricing and doubled the amount I thought would be charged.  

While exploring 2023 Canada/New England options today, I went back to Explora. I was delighted to realize that the fare was quite reasonable for the experience. In addition, Explora's pricing was lower than Viking & Oceania for a similar category. Therefore, we will take a chance on the new line at this price point. I sincerely hope that Explora offers all its guests an excellent quality experience.   

• Like 1

Just booked an option for Canada/New England and it is pricing at the total amount at the suite price.  When confirmed it does show the per person rate which is half of the suite price.  I did find it interesting that there was no opportunity to choose a stateroom during the booking process. 

I would suggest that you might want to find a decent high volume reputable cruise agency that handles Explora bookings (our two favorite agencies have no problem booking Explora).  They can access available cabin inventory and make cabin choices, do not pay double (LOL), and may be able to offer some generous on board credits.  I say this having just (yesterday) talked to our favorite cruise agent who can do all this with no  issues.

Hank

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestion.  I work with a TA at a major luxury cruise agency in Florida.  I am in contact with them about this sailing.  The company is a Virtuoso agency that typically offers additional benefits.  Explora is listed as one of their approved cruise lines.  

July Booking here made via agent in £ two weeks ago after getting direct quote from the company.  I’m both cases the price was as advertised (per suite).  My agent was very impressed with the responsiveness of the call staff. Streets ahead of current experience elsewhere 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

I booked on the Explora website and received an e-mail within the hour offering to help with any issues I might have.  I replied that I would be turning over the reservation to a TA, and they responded that Explora would prefer to work with a travel agent.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 8:37 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

When I do a booking for 2 pax the total price is double the suite price.  Weird.

I noticed that you have the option of pricing per person or per suite when I was looking at a couple cruises yesterday 

On 8/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, Hlitner said:

I would suggest that you might want to find a decent high volume reputable cruise agency that handles Explora bookings (our two favorite agencies have no problem booking Explora).  They can access available cabin inventory and make cabin choices, do not pay double (LOL), and may be able to offer some generous on board credits.  I say this having just (yesterday) talked to our favorite cruise agent who can do all this with no  issues.

Hank

Can you say who the travel agencies are?  I am interested in learning more about Explora.  The travel agent I contacted had never booked anything with them before.  Makes me a little nervous.

Hank - you are right that you can't hint at TAs.  You can't even describe the size of their building in the way you did!  But if you google 'explore journeys travel agent' you will gets links to TAs who claim to have familiarity with them.

23 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Hank - you are right that you can't hint at TAs.  You can't even describe the size of their building in the way you did!  But if you google 'explore journeys travel agent' you will gets links to TAs who claim to have familiarity with them.

ROFL on your "familiarity" comment.  We are all dealing with a complete unknown (cruisers as well as travel/cruise agents) and only have our MSC experience as a rough guide.  One would hope that Explora has better customer service than MSC :). 

Hank

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL on your "familiarity" comment.  We are all dealing with a complete unknown (cruisers as well as travel/cruise agents) and only have our MSC experience as a rough guide.  One would hope that Explora has better customer service than MSC :). 

Hank

Explora is definitely making a pitch to woo travel agents:

Explora partners with Amadeus to optimise agent bookings

They have also announced relationships with two of the biggest TA consortia.  So even though TAs don't yet have much experience sailing on or booking clients on Explora, they have had lots of opportunities to get themselves educated about Explora (or at least Explora's promises).

BTW I'm not an expert on the TA business, but my impression is that the two consortia I mentioned are oriented toward luxury cruises.  So I'm assuming that TAs who work on huge volumes and mass-market cruise lines are less likely to know about Explora.

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Explora is definitely making a pitch to woo travel agents:

Explora partners with Amadeus to optimise agent bookings

They have also announced relationships with two of the biggest TA consortia.  So even though TAs don't yet have much experience sailing on or booking clients on Explora, they have had lots of opportunities to get themselves educated about Explora (or at least Explora's promises).

BTW I'm not an expert on the TA business, but my impression is that the two consortia I mentioned are oriented toward luxury cruises.  So I'm assuming that TAs who work on huge volumes and mass-market cruise lines are less likely to know about Explora.

One of our favored cruise agencies is part of the Signature Travel Network (a consortium) and they have apparently worked out some kind of agreement with Explora since they now handle bookings with various OBC perks.  Explora has also hired a very experienced CEO but we will all have to wait and see how they compare to the other luxury lines.  DW and I are giving a lot of consideration to booking a 18 day Explora cruise (2023).  While not our normal style to try an untested product, we have some faith in the Aponte family's ability to get it right.

Hank

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

One of our favored cruise agencies is part of the Signature Travel Network (a consortium) and they have apparently worked out some kind of agreement with Explora since they now handle bookings with various OBC perks.  Explora has also hired a very experienced CEO but we will all have to wait and see how they compare to the other luxury lines.  DW and I are giving a lot of consideration to booking a 18 day Explora cruise (2023).  While not our normal style to try an untested product, we have some faith in the Aponte family's ability to get it right.

Hank

I look forward to your report on that cruise, as I trust your judgment.  My dance card is full through 2024, but at that point the bucket list will be done and if I haven't kicked 'it' I will be much more open to interesting ships even if they don't have a must-see itinerary.

It is clear that the Explora people are giving us the impression that their product will be competing with the other cruise lines in the "luxury" cruise segment.  However, until we see exactly how they are going to execute their business, we have NO IDEA what this would look like.  I think it is somewhat impossible to really evaluate the "reasonableness" of the cruise fare on a brand new cruise line, until we can actually see what is going to be offered for the pricing.

That's one of the reasons we haven't seriously considered Explora for now.  Same with the new reincarnation of Crystal, which is reportedly attempting to re-start in the Summer of 2023.  We are "playing it safe" and booked a mid-range cruise for 2023.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Psoque said:

It is clear that the Explora people are giving us the impression that their product will be competing with the other cruise lines in the "luxury" cruise segment.  However, until we see exactly how they are going to execute their business, we have NO IDEA what this would look like.  I think it is somewhat impossible to really evaluate the "reasonableness" of the cruise fare on a brand new cruise line, until we can actually see what is going to be offered for the pricing.

That's one of the reasons we haven't seriously considered Explora for now.  Same with the new reincarnation of Crystal, which is reportedly attempting to re-start in the Summer of 2023.  We are "playing it safe" and booked a mid-range cruise for 2023.

I sound like a shill for the company but if you look at all of the computer simulations of the suites, restaurants and cabins you have a pretty good idea!

They've been pretty clear to show you what you’ll be getting. Their leadership and Captain are luxury travel experts. 

• Like 2