My changing opinion on sailing Explora...

Nashna

I have a few questions, for anyone who cares to chime in (especially people who have booked as non-couples): 

1.  So is it now clear that the quoted "per suite" pricing on the website is really, reliably  per *suite*, regardless of how many people are in it, (e.g., 1, 2 , or even 3 assuming the sofa is a sofabed) or is the "per suite" pricing assumed to be for 2 people?  Or does it depend on itinerary?

Nashna and Gourmet Gal provided conflicting information previously.  Has the discrepancy been sorted out and clarified?  There are often situations where *both* reports can be correct, depending on what else is going on (e.g., there may be some asterisk or footnote, written or unwritten,  that explains things).  I would have trouble believing that one could put 4 people into a suite (e.g., a couple and their 2 adult offspring) and be charged the same price as 2 in a "per suite" price, like one pays in a hotel room with 2 double beds in the U.S. (e.g., the fee is usually the same if there is only 1, or 4 people in the room overnight).

2.  If the "per suite" pricing is really per suite, even if you go solo, the prices would be competitive with SS (the non-door to door variety) and SB (assuming of course, that they deliver on what they promise)

3.   The 'wellness' literature for Explora has reference to a "thermal" pool.  I wonder if that just means it has a cover, e.g., can be made an indoor pool on demand, or if it will be with truly warm water (i.e., not for lap swimmers, who go for 82-83 F tops, but more like a therapeutic pool used for patients with musculoskeletal problems).

4.  Do we know what the pax/staff ratio will be?  This can be an indirect measure of how "luxurious" a ship is, as a lower ratio (and some redundancy) can help avoid major service problems.  

5.  Are there plans to have classical music in any of the mini-entertainment venues (at least part of the cruise?  Or will it just  be the standard Broadway and/or crooner/lounge singer style, like most luxury ships have (a couple exceptions)?

6.   And of course the most important question to some of us,  is will one of the sit-down dining rooms be reliably open for both breakfast and lunch, even if the ship is in a port? 🙂

3 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I have a few questions, for anyone who cares to chime in (especially people who have booked as non-couples): 

1.  So is it now clear that the quoted "per suite" pricing on the website is really, reliably  per *suite*, regardless of how many people are in it, (e.g., 1, 2 , or even 3 assuming the sofa is a sofabed) or is the "per suite" pricing assumed to be for 2 people?  Or does it depend on itinerary?

Note that you first have to specify the number of people.  THAT is what triggers the "per suite" number.

Try doing it for one person, then start over and ask for two.  Note the difference.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Nashna and Gourmet Gal provided conflicting information previously.  Has the discrepancy been sorted out and clarified?  There are often situations where *both* reports can be correct, depending on what else is going on (e.g., there may be some asterisk or footnote, written or unwritten,  that explains things).  I would have trouble believing that one could put 4 people into a suite (e.g., a couple and their 2 adult offspring) and be charged the same price as 2 in a "per suite" price, like one pays in a hotel room with 2 double beds in the U.S. (e.g., the fee is usually the same if there is only 1, or 4 people in the room overnight).

2.  If the "per suite" pricing is really per suite, even if you go solo, the prices would be competitive with SS (the non-door to door variety) and SB (assuming of course, that they deliver on what they promise)

3.   The 'wellness' literature for Explora has reference to a "thermal" pool.  I wonder if that just means it has a cover, e.g., can be made an indoor pool on demand, or if it will be with truly warm water (i.e., not for lap swimmers, who go for 82-83 F tops, but more like a therapeutic pool used for patients with musculoskeletal problems).

4.  Do we know what the pax/staff ratio will be?  This can be an indirect measure of how "luxurious" a ship is, as a lower ratio (and some redundancy) can help avoid major service problems.  

5.  Are there plans to have classical music in any of the mini-entertainment venues (at least part of the cruise?  Or will it just  be the standard Broadway and/or crooner/lounge singer style, like most luxury ships have (a couple exceptions)?

6.   And of course the most important question to some of us,  is will one of the sit-down dining rooms be reliably open for both breakfast and lunch, even if the ship is in a port? 🙂

Here are some answers for you! (well, at least about staffing!)

I have heard that they are happy/profitable at 80% occupancy…..

0FB4E4B1-1E75-4F44-9347-9CF41EC0D817.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are really interested in a Dec 2023 cruise.  We understand that there is no theatre for shows, but there is no mention of music at the bars or any other place.  We would love some classical music, but also some lively pop music at the bars.  If not, it would be too boring for us. Am I missing something? 

15 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

We are really interested in a Dec 2023 cruise.  We understand that there is no theatre for shows, but there is no mention of music at the bars or any other place.  We would love some classical music, but also some lively pop music at the bars.  If not, it would be too boring for us. Am I missing something? 

Here is a link to a section of the Explora online brochure:-

https://explorajourneys.com/uk/en/life-on-explora/dining

If you scroll down below the dining options, you can see that music/entertainment is indeed envisaged, although there will not be a traditional cabaret/theatre lounge.

Hope this helps.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:43 AM, kool kruiser said:

Here is a link to a section of the Explora online brochure:-

https://explorajourneys.com/uk/en/life-on-explora/dining

If you scroll down below the dining options, you can see that music/entertainment is indeed envisaged, although there will not be a traditional cabaret/theatre lounge.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for directing me to entertainment information., kool Kruiser!

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, daleandrews said:

The prices were per suite until about a month ago when they all switched to per passenger.  Happened at the same time that they raised fares.  (According to an email Explora sent out there is to be another price increase around January 16.)

Thanks. With another price increase, I will. not hurry to book. The current per guest prices are already too high (more than US 1200 per cabin per night for a simple itinerary?)

Ivi

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2022 at 8:49 PM, Catlover54 said:

Of course lots of unknowns until they launch, but I just attended a webinar with a lot of details. Multiple pools, all heated; one is covered; one is adults only; spa is open to all guests and has a large indoor jacuzzi.

all restaurants are table service so you should not have trouble finding breakfast and lunch on port days.

they have an exclusive partnership with Steinway which involves not only having the pianos on board, but guaranteeing classical artists on every sailing. No Broadway shows. Variety of entertainment in 4 different lounges every night and it sounds like a classical option every night 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

17 hours ago, JTor said:

Of course lots of unknowns until they launch, but I just attended a webinar with a lot of details. Multiple pools, all heated; one is covered; one is adults only; spa is open to all guests and has a large indoor jacuzzi.

all restaurants are table service so you should not have trouble finding breakfast and lunch on port days.

they have an exclusive partnership with Steinway which involves not only having the pianos on board, but guaranteeing classical artists on every sailing. No Broadway shows. Variety of entertainment in 4 different lounges every night and it sounds like a classical option every night 

Thanks this all sounds very good 👍 

Ivi

19 hours ago, JTor said:

I just attended a webinar with a lot of details. . . .

Interesting stuff. 

We are scheduled on the 24 day September cruise from Glasgow to NYC via Iceland and Greenland.  Did you hear any discussion as to when excursions might be posted?  I had earlier heard rumors of this month (February) but lately there was also a report that excursion booking and an updated website might not be up until April.

1 hour ago, daleandrews said:

Interesting stuff. 

We are scheduled on the 24 day September cruise from Glasgow to NYC via Iceland and Greenland.  Did you hear any discussion as to when excursions might be posted?  I had earlier heard rumors of this month (February) but lately there was also a report that excursion booking and an updated website might not be up until April.

I also attended a webinar yesterday and I believe they said February 16th for the excursions and also for the early 2025 itineraries for Explora I.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

We are so looking forward to our Vancouver R/T and hoping it lives up to the hype.  Could be a great new line going forward with what they are trying to do.  Hope they can get enough experienced crew to make it actually work to deliver.

I would expect they might be bringing some crew over from MSC.  Hopefully it will be some of their better people.

If you are doing the Hawaii cruise R/T from Vancouver we will be on that one too.  

9 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

I would expect they might be bringing some crew over from MSC.  Hopefully it will be some of their better people.

If you are doing the Hawaii cruise R/T from Vancouver we will be on that one too.  

That is the cruise we will be on.  Multiple reasons, we love Hawaii usually (until C19) went between 2 and 4 times a year for over 30 years.  Have been back a few times the last 2 years.  Plus a lot of sea days, which I enjoy as just a way to relax and unwind, but also IMO a good way to judge a cruise line I am trying for the first time since the crew will need be taking care of a full ship all day long for multiple days. 

When we get closer will have to connect on the roll call and meet up on the ship.  BTW, nice handle!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 10:30 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

That is the cruise we will be on.  Multiple reasons, we love Hawaii usually (until C19) went between 2 and 4 times a year for over 30 years.  Have been back a few times the last 2 years.  Plus a lot of sea days, which I enjoy as just a way to relax and unwind, but also IMO a good way to judge a cruise line I am trying for the first time since the crew will need be taking care of a full ship all day long for multiple days. 

When we get closer will have to connect on the roll call and meet up on the ship.  BTW, nice handle!

Can anyone see the itinerary on this cruise (or ANY cruise for that matter)?  When we click on DETAILS on the website, it shows a map of the cruise, but unable to scroll down to see each stop, and any info about the stops, such as hours there, days at sea, etc.  THis is the case for every itinerary.  Also, I am unable to search any months once a pick a month to search for cruises. Only that initial month or months I chose will be searched, even if I pick other months.   That Hawaii cruise might be interesting, but would like to know the "DETAILS."  Is it a Mac thing, maybe, that their website is pretty close to unusable on a Mac?   Agree with you abt Sea days as a great way to judge a cruise, and we do love sea days.  But we cannot determine IF there will be lecturers, trivia, or what other activities on sae days.  

1 hour ago, gwesq said:

Can anyone see the itinerary on this cruise (or ANY cruise for that matter)?  When we click on DETAILS on the website, it shows a map of the cruise, but unable to scroll down to see each stop, and any info about the stops, such as hours there, days at sea, etc.  THis is the case for every itinerary.  Also, I am unable to search any months once a pick a month to search for cruises. Only that initial month or months I chose will be searched, even if I pick other months.   That Hawaii cruise might be interesting, but would like to know the "DETAILS."  Is it a Mac thing, maybe, that their website is pretty close to unusable on a Mac?   Agree with you abt Sea days as a great way to judge a cruise, and we do love sea days.  But we cannot determine IF there will be lecturers, trivia, or what other activities on sae days.  

I just searched for a cruise and on the map page after clicking on the itinerary, I just scrolled down from there and it showed the daily stops. I used an iPad for the search.

Edited by sasejm

4 hours ago, gwesq said:

You’re correct it’s a Mac thing.  I have to use my iPad to see details. I have a booking and the same applies also for my shorex.

As far as I can see there will be a good range of lecturers given the topics mentioned (though they’re not yet posted by cruise). I’m not sure about trivia I think you’ll need to wait for reports from early cruises on that one.  However I know they’re trying to be “different” so it’s not going to be a clone of other lines activities.  You can see that already in the shorex posted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a Safari thing, not a Mac thing.  I just searched Jan. 2025 cruises.  Using Safari I get a pop-up window but can't scroll down to see itinerary details (can scroll down to see cabins).  Using Firefox, scrolling works for everything.  [It may also be an artifact of security settings.  I keep Safari set very tight.  That protects me, but it does break some websites.  Then I switch to Firefox, and if that doesn't work I take a big risk and try Chrome – since I don't trust Google to protect me anyway, I keep those security settings loose so it works almost everywhere...]

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think it's a Safari thing, not a Mac thing.  I just searched Jan. 2025 cruises.  Using Safari I get a pop-up window but can't scroll down to see itinerary details (can scroll down to see cabins).  Using Firefox, scrolling works for everything.  [It may also be an artifact of security settings.  I keep Safari set very tight.  That protects me, but it does break some websites.  Then I switch to Firefox, and if that doesn't work I take a big risk and try Chrome – since I don't trust Google to protect me anyway, I keep those security settings loose so it works almost everywhere...]

Chrome doesn't work for me to scroll down to look at the itinerary.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gwesq said:

The Hawaii cruise obviously has lots of sea days - two 5 day stretches.  There are overnights in both Hilo and Honolulu.  There are stops in Lahaina (Maui) and Nawillwilli (Kauai) -   It stops at Victoria on the return before Vancouver.  

50 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

Chrome doesn't work for me to scroll down to look at the itinerary.

Sorry, I didn't try it in this case because Firefox did work.  As I said, I save Chrome for dire emergencies...