What do I need to bring to play a app from my iPad to my cabin TV?

Cruiseoholic000

Supposedly you are able to stream direct from you device to TV but I haven't been able to with sucess.   First problem once you get to source and choose stream -  It lists about 25 TV's all with the same name so trial and error to the find the one that is yours.    2nd it is designed for Android and doesn't play nicely with Apple.

You could possibly get a Lightning to HDMI cable and then a HDMI Cable to the TV - Probably easiest.

image.png.6b0850fcdbba254045afbfca51e4a0f1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

...  It lists about 25 TV's all with the same name so trial and error to the find the one that is yours.

You could possibly get a Lightning to HDMI cable and then a HDMI Cable to the TV - Probably easiest.

I've always loved that game. (Major sarcasm)

Do you know for sure if the TV's HDMI port would be enabled? I've only tried it once, 10 or more years ago and the port was dead -- either disabled or broke, can't say which for sure. Cabin steward was no help, had never been asked about it before.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

Do you know for sure if the TV's HDMI port would be enabled? I've only tried it once, 10 or more years ago and the port was dead -- either disabled or broke, can't say which for sure. Cabin steward was no help, had never been asked about it before.

I know a lot of places disable them because people who used them wouldn't reset the TV causing issues for stateroom hosts  (or housekeepers in hotels) and the next guests.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

The new TV's are more of a monitor than a TV of the past that need them enabled.  I'm currently on Summit and using my Roku -

The most difficult part is getting to the ports -  in the upper suite they are in a box on the wall and only about 4"-5" to get your hand in and try to plug the hdmi device in. 

I did a short video on how you access and select the Source -  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I know a lot of places disable them because people who used them wouldn't reset the TV causing issues for stateroom hosts  (or housekeepers in hotels) and the next guests.

The current systems on Celebrity no longer do it the old way.   The default is the equivalent to a Web Page and the various ports are just a selection -   In the suites they also use it to access the soundbar.

2 minutes ago, weregoingcruising said:

On youtube seach Jim smaltz's play list for how to get into settings on Silouette Samsung tv. He was able to use his roku on it.

You can also do mirroring and direct a device like pc or phone using an HDMI cable.

The most important thing is you need the device plugged in prior to turn power on the TV for the port to be recognized.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Supposedly you are able to stream direct from you device to TV but I haven't been able to with sucess.   First problem once you get to source and choose stream -  It lists about 25 TV's all with the same name so trial and error to the find the one that is yours.    2nd it is designed for Android and doesn't play nicely with Apple.

image.png.6b0850fcdbba254045afbfca51e4a0f1.png

Unless your iPad is new enough to have a usb-c port, then you will need one that connects to usb-c.

• Like 1

What you need is a USB-C to HMDI adapter for current iPads and a long HDMI cable, probably with a right angled socket at the tv end and you also need to make sure that the HDMI socket on the TV sorted to allow it to be used. I have done this once using the lightning adapter on an older iPads and once the HDMI socket was sorted on the tv it worked fine.

Unless it’s an hotel TV and locked. :classic_mellow:Sometimes you even might need an universal remote to even select the output.

We too like to enjoy our local news (live TV app), subtitled movies (easier to follow :classic_happy:) etc from our own iPads or iPhones but we gave ships up..

Renting an HD movie through Prime or AppleTV and watching it on our lap with a pillow as support instead. :classic_smile:

Sometimes we do bring our adapters and HDMI cable to (smaller) land based destinations, with a 50% succes rate.

6 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

What you need is a USB-C to HMDI adapter for current iPads and a long HDMI cable, probably with a right angled socket at the tv end and you also need to make sure that the HDMI socket on the TV sorted to allow it to be used. I have done this once using the lightning adapter on an older iPads and once the HDMI socket was sorted on the tv it worked fine.

5 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Unless it’s an hotel TV and locked. :classic_mellow:Sometimes you even might need an universal remote to even select the output.

We too like to enjoy our local news (live TV app), subtitled movies (easier to follow :classic_happy:) etc from our own iPads or iPhones but we gave ships up..

Renting an HD movie through Prime or AppleTV and watching it on our lap with a pillow as support instead. :classic_smile:

Sometimes we do bring our adapters and HDMI cable to (smaller) land based destinations, with a 50% succes rate.

All sounds a bit of a faff ! 

Each to their own - but not for me !     

I have found that some of my streaming apps are blocked when out of US, which is where I reside. Wouldn’t even play on my iPad.  I was on RC Odyssey and was surprised when I found I could stream from my devices.  Would play close to US on my recent TA but was blocked the closer I was to Europe.  Curious if others were able to stream i other parts of the world. 

51 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

I have found that some of my streaming apps are blocked when out of US, which is where I reside. Wouldn’t even play on my iPad.  I was on RC Odyssey and was surprised when I found I could stream from my devices.  Would play close to US on my recent TA but was blocked the closer I was to Europe.  Curious if others were able to stream i other parts of the world. 

Yes, many of us use a VPN service with servers in the US to assure that this is possible.  Research VPN for your devices.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Yes, many of us use a VPN service with servers in the US to assure that this is possible.  Research VPN for your devices.

Should also be advised to research for a reputable VPN service. Some operate with devious intent (or just don't care), and of course that kind of risk just grows and grows over time. But also over time, a reputable VPN service can be a growing plus.

I recommend (1) checking reviews by experts like pcmag.com, maybe tomsguide.com (used to be some good folks working there, can't say for sure now); and (2) reading up on good advice, as is offered here:

https://www.wired.com/story/best-vpn/

Edited by Moonarino

15 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

I still have my old universal set up for Samsung, but haven't needed it on an X ship in quite a while.  The new systems don't even have a 'hotel mode' like the old ones used to, so no need for the extra remote and the magic codes to get them out of hotel mode.  MUCH less hassle!

22 hours ago, texkat said:

Similar question:  is there a way to stream music from iPhone or IPad to the TV/soundbar (specifically in upper suite on Millenium)?

I did it last week in a RS. Using the remote for the sound bar use the input button, IIRC it’s the top right button, and keep pressing it until BT shows up on the display on the bar, it’s on the bottom right corner. Once it’s selected just go to your IOS device and pair it to the sounbar.

• Like 1

I tried a universal remote that used to work on the Oasis of the Seas to change inputs. I tried it on my Samsung TV’s at home before I left and they worked fine there. But on the ship it would not change the input, other buttons works but not input.

4 hours ago, t18c97 said:

I did it last week in a RS. Using the remote for the sound bar use the input button, IIRC it’s the top right button, and keep pressing it until BT shows up on the display on the bar, it’s on the bottom right corner. Once it’s selected just go to your IOS device and pair it to the sounbar.

Excellent- thanks!

4 hours ago, t18c97 said:

I tried a universal remote that used to work on the Oasis of the Seas to change inputs. I tried it on my Samsung TV’s at home before I left and they worked fine there. But on the ship it would not change the input, other buttons works but not input.

That's why you need to get the HDMI unlocked. The butler will get someone to do it or will do it himself if he has seen it done before.

I bring a Chromecast and a travel router when I go on cruises. 

I replace the cruise lines HDMI cable with the chromecast to avoid having to change inputs and then connect it to the travel router which I have set to repeat the ships wifi and allow me to connect as many devices as I want to the wifi when in my stateroom.  

Works great. Was watching MLB baseball and Netflix in the middle of the Atlantic during my TA in the spring. 

20 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

That is where VPN comes into play.   If you wish to use make sure you subscribe and download prior to boarding.  Summit and many others block the sites but the VPN works perfect to shift location.