Disappointed with princess

cruisejunkie

13 hours ago, getaway101 said:

Don't crucify me for my next question.....but......are the formal nights really formal?

As formal as you prefer to make them.

Don't be surprised if many people don't follow the routine of dressing up the way they did in years past. Princess has relaxed their attitude of what was once a formal night for everyone and now leaves it up to the individual to choose what they consider appropriate. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 5:46 PM, cruisejunkie said:

We just returned from the Discovery Alaska cruise and felt disappointed with the over all quality. The ship itself was wonderful, no complaints there.  The extra things that make princess special were lacking. No mints at turn down, no tote bags on first land day, no snacks at bar to name just a few.  Madallion was great for unlocking door but otherwise useless because of poor wifi. No special lotions in bathroom for elite.  Food quality was not up to snuff.   This was our first princess cruise since Covid and we don’t like the changes. Has anyone else felt this way?

Not us.....

although hesitant due to covid, last spring we did our first post pandemic  cruise on the Regal to the Caribbean...it was outstanding.... as others have said, the staff, as always, was exceptional!

25 plus princess cruises prior, and with only one exception, we always were very satisfied.to incredibly satisfied. Only bad experience was on a princess cruise out of LA, when a tour group of 500 passengers tried to make everyone believe that they were they only folks that mattered during the entire cruise.....

we enjoyed our return to cruising so much that we booked up a TA on the Regal this November an scarfed up some additional FCC's. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DrSea said:

I get that they have to cut costs to make ends meet. But conversely, cutting back on the product quality will also make you lose customers too.

2 sides to every story. It's a give n take and everyone's calculus is different. 

AND the cruise fares are significantly higher as far as I can tell.  Gone are the days that we could cruise for $100/day after factoring the obc and bonus'

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, and while you are at it...buy yourself a large bottle of mac nuts with caramel covered in chocolate.  I do not dare to buy myself a bottle.  My waistline would object loudly.  I have to make sacrifices so that I can cruise more.Still working the pounds off the last cruise.  Anyone else having difficulties?  So much harders as I put on the years.

🙋‍♀️  The "I'll just have one" strategy sure doesn't work with the caramels!!   OK, maybe 2 and I can hold off till the next day but, boy, is it hard!  LOL!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, suzyed said:

AND the cruise fares are significantly higher as far as I can tell.  Gone are the days that we could cruise for $100/day after factoring obc and bonus'

Agreed. The calculus is changing fast with cruise lines raising prices. 

Conversely, we are technically in a recession and there is a lot of unease with the market. I expected the prices to be lower. 

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

We always ate them. I often had mine for pre-breakfast the next morning.

We might eat one or two on board but most times we bring them home and put them in a bowl on the kitchen counter so each time I saw them it would bring back memories of the cruise!  Sometimes I will put one on my and DH's pillow just so the cruise withdrawal is lessened.  LOL

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I expected the prices to be lower. 

With inflation running at 8.5% in the US, surely you would expect prices to at the very least rise at a similar level. 

Carnival is servicing a massive debt, and cannot afford to reduce prices during an inflationary period.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mjmalino said:

As I don't think anyone discussed the snacks in the bars on this thread, the reason for them no longer being out is due to covid. Too many people reaching into the nuts/pretzels/etc.

I do understand the reason. I also think they could just give everyone their own little snack, when requested. Then send the jar through the dishwasher…same as I would have expected pre Covid cruises. 

Edited by Happiest when cruising
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Agreed. The calculus is changing fast with cruise lines raising prices. 

Conversely, we are technically in a recession and there is a lot of unease with the market. I expected the prices to be lower. 

Or at the very least stay the same or increase only slightly.  It's easier for us now since we are still working off FCCs we got from the Coral Covid cruise (except for our Alaska cruise which we paid for and it was pretty high).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

With inflation running at 8.5% in the US, surely you would expect prices to at the very least rise at a similar level. 

Carnival is servicing a massive debt, and cannot afford to reduce prices during an inflationary period.

How can they keep prices so high when the economy is cooling and people are cutting back?

Just now, suzyed said:

Or at the very least stay the same or increase only slightly.  It's easier for us now since we are still working off FCCs we got from the Coral Covid cruise (except for our Alaska cruise which we paid for and it was pretty high).  

Agreed

36 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I do understand the reason. I also think they could just give everyone their own little snack, when requested. Then send the jar through the dishwasher…same as I would have expected pre Covid cruises. 

I do miss the snacks at the bars, but totally understand their removal.  I have seen so many unhealthy/unsanitary handling of the glass:  Passengers picking through the assortment.  Pouring it into their hand (not napkin) picking out what they wanted and pouring the rest back.  I stopped eating them a long time ago (pre covid).

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I do miss the snacks at the bars, but totally understand their removal.  I have seen so many unhealthy/unsanitary handling of the glass:  Passengers picking through the assortment.  Pouring it into their hand (not napkin) picking out what they wanted and pouring the rest back.  I stopped eating them a long time ago (pre covid).

Ain't that the truth....and think nothing of it. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It was never for me, either. I did think they were dumped after each guest handled them, though. I hoped the jar wasn’t just topped up for the next guest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tml1230 said:

Not us.....

although hesitant due to covid, last spring we did our first post pandemic  cruise on the Regal to the Caribbean...it was outstanding.... as others have said, the staff, as always, was exceptional!

25 plus princess cruises prior, and with only one exception, we always were very satisfied.to incredibly satisfied. Only bad experience was on a princess cruise out of LA, when a tour group of 500 passengers tried to make everyone believe that they were they only folks that mattered during the entire cruise.....

we enjoyed our return to cruising so much that we booked up a TA on the Regal this November an scarfed up some additional FCC's. 

I was on the regal princess last year and the service imho was below what PCL typically offers. Still better than other CL but it was subpar for PCL. 

It's funny how 2 ppl will have 2 completely different views of similar exp

15 hours ago, DrSea said:

I personally didn't know that they took away the blue bags until now. I actually like and use them. 

We had them in our cabin on Royal Princess this past May. We use them for grocery bags but they aren't super strong and have been known to rip.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We had them in our cabin on Royal Princess this past May. We use them for grocery bags but they aren't super strong and have been known to rip.

18 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We also got blue bags them in April. They're not the greatest but can serve in a pinch.

We've gotten them on all three cruises since the restart on Majestic (Oct), Ruby (Nov), and Crown (May). 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

We've gotten them on all three cruises since the restart on Majestic (Oct), Ruby (Nov), and Crown (May). 

I'm thinking it was just a temporary supply issue on the ships that didn't have them.  

• Like 1

Have been on 5 Princess cruises this year. The Princess bags, Elite amenity items vary by ship. Majestic had them, Grand and Ruby did not. If the ship has them you get them.

Currently on HAL Eurodam operations are more consistent and better, especially the MDR. However entertainment options/activities are lacking with 50% of activities being store, art or spa related. Though some of the dance company shows are looking more like production shows with a live singer involved in some portions. MDR food is much better. More like Princess used to be 5 to 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

We also got blue bags them in April. They're not the greatest but can serve in a pinch.

I just like the blue color lol

3 hours ago, DrSea said:

I was on the regal princess last year and the service imho was below what PCL typically offers. Still better than other CL but it was subpar for PCL. 

It's funny how 2 ppl will have 2 completely different views of similar exp

I agree... its funny! 

also....

"How can they keep prices so high when the economy is cooling and people are cutting back?"

perhaps the cost and availability of  fuel may have some impact?? maybe add covid protocols and restrictions too...not sure but pent up demand ??

Edited by tml1230
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

AND the cruise fares are significantly higher as far as I can tell.  Gone are the days that we could cruise for $100/day after factoring the obc and bonus'

You didn't indicate if meaning being able to do it at minimum pricing (Inside cabin) or pricing at least a Balcony.  I think it has been some time since you could count on getting a Balcony for $100/night net-net. 

Anyway, my net-net for our Fall Med cruises is:

1. ~$105/pp/night

2. ~$95/pp/night

3.~$103/pp/night

4.~$131/pp/night  (this one is a Balcony E now, but wasn't a lot more than we were paying for Inside).

These prices are all optimized after several re-farings or cancel/re-books from watching pricing.  Also, due to watching pricing and re-booking EZ-Air, I got the lowest airfares possible each way in Business which is on top of the prices above.

"Net-net" means cruise invoice, which includes a good TA discount, plus Crew Appreciation, plus MedallionNet, less all OBC's and SD credits.

So, $100 is possible in an Inside, but it might take some work and the help of a good TA.  The 4th voyage was always more expensive, so I would not say we are paying $30/pp/night for Balcony over Inside - not at all that much.

• Like 1