P and O latest offers

Bin man

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

The algorithms kick in and look at the booking history

Not just booking history but the amount of interest shown in a particular cruise. If you have a lot of people looking at the details of a particular cruise in a period of time then that price is liable to go up.

It has even been known for the price to go up part way through the booking process.

It has even been known for the price to go up part way through the booking process.
This happened to me, they raised the price by £300 as I was booking. At that point, I jumped ship (literally) and booked another line to try. It remains to be seen whether I enjoy it as much. 

23 hours ago, wowzz said:

Under the new offer,  our September 23 Britannia cruise is exactly the same price, but with £230 less obc.

And our October cruise has about £400 extra OBC. Hardly a bargain as the cruise has gone up by £1,700 for 2 people.

Just now, zap99 said:

And our October cruise has about £400 extra OBC. Hardly a bargain as the cruise has gone up by £1,700 for 2 people.

Wow, that's a hell of an increase.  Being nosey, which cruise is it and is it for 2022 ?  

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

2 October. We booked a select balcony for £3,200, checked yesterday. 4 900.

Slight porkies. We paid £3,322, they now want £4,958 but with £370 more OBC. Wowzz. Dont worry about being nosey. That's what this board is about isn't it?.

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Slight porkies. We paid £3,322, they now want £4,958 but with £370 more OBC. Wowzz. Dont worry about being nosey. That's what this board is about isn't it?.

Thanks. I do like a good nose, or "nebb" as they say around here !

£5000, even after you take the obc into account, is a pricey old fare for what is a fairly standard itinerary.  Can't see many last minute takers at that price. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks. I do like a good nose, or "nebb" as they say around here !

£5000, even after you take the obc into account, is a pricey old fare for what is a fairly standard itinerary.  Can't see many last minute takers at that price. 

If you like to take a forward deck 8 balcony you can pay £5058 for the privilege. The £4958 is on deck 15 midships with all the incumbent problems.

Even a saver fare on this cruise is now £4498 or £4598 for a forward cabin. Zapp's fare is therefore a winner by a long way.

12 hours ago, david63 said:

Not just booking history but the amount of interest shown in a particular cruise. If you have a lot of people looking at the details of a particular cruise in a period of time then that price is liable to go up.

I was researching flights to Iceland with a class of 11 year olds a few years ago - purely theoretical. They were working in pairs on laptops and making notes. We decided on a date quite a few months away, and within a few minutes, the prices started increasing. They were gobsmacked but we had a memorable lesson! 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I was researching flights to Iceland with a class of 11 year olds a few years ago - purely theoretical. They were working in pairs on laptops and making notes. We decided on a date quite a few months away, and within a few minutes, the prices started increasing. They were gobsmacked but we had a memorable lesson! 

A valuable lesson in dynamic pricing indeed!

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

They are now charging £3038 for the inside cabin three along from ours with £410 obc. It works out over £370 more than what we paid. However the option for the free coach has gone, so that makes it even dearer. There must be a lot of us northerners going on the cruise.

11 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Yes that's a certainty. I've previously looked at cruise and flight prices at home and seen them rise everytime so find what I want then go to work and get a better price as its a different ip address and it doesn't recognise me. Worth a try. 

6 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Yes that's a certainty. I've previously looked at cruise and flight prices at home and seen them rise everytime so find what I want then go to work and get a better price as its a different ip address and it doesn't recognise me. Worth a try. 

A modern myth, I'm afraid. Fares may alter, due to a general level of interest, but they do not change on a person to person basis.  

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

A modern myth, I'm afraid. Fares may alter, due to a general level of interest, but they do not change on a person to person basis.  

I disagree cookies follow your every move on pages. I've been following a marella cruise at home this week started at £849 and now up to £1049. 

At work £752 Go figure 🤔🤔

1 minute ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I disagree cookies follow your every move on pages. I've been following a marella cruise at home this week started at £849 and now up to £1049. 

At work £752 Go figure 🤔🤔

Would never consider Marella, so can't comment.

With regards to P&O,  every price I have ever seen when booking, is the same as the one my TA sees. If what you are saying is true, I and everyone else wouid be seeing totally different prices,  which is patently not the case.   

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

With regards to P&O,  every price I have ever seen when booking, is the same as the one my TA sees. If what you are saying is true, I and everyone else wouid be seeing totally different prices,  which is patently not the case.   

Maybe P&Os algorithm is not as sophisticated but, in the past when we did fly I certainly noticed that pricing increased on airline fares the more I researched them, and they were always higher in the evening than during the morning.

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If what you are saying is true, I and everyone else wouid be seeing totally different prices,  which is patently not the case.   

How do you know? Unless you are in contact with everyone who is booking that cruise at that moment in time you would never know.

And nobody is suggesting that this happens all the time for every cruise - just that it can, and does, happen occasionally.

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It depends on how many times you look at the particular cruise. If I go on several times on the same cruise the first time the price is always lower than the last time. They may not follow the person but certainly follow the number of times you look.

32 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

It depends on how many times you look at the particular cruise. If I go on several times on the same cruise the first time the price is always lower than the last time. They may not follow the person but certainly follow the number of times you look.

You are talking about dynamic pricing, which alters prices for everyone, not just individuals.

I see exactly the same prices as those quoted on these boards (eg the discussion about Britannia pricing yesterday), and my TA sees the same prices as I do. This would not be the case if P&O used a personal cookie algorithm.

51 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe P&Os algorithm is not as sophisticated but, in the past when we did fly I certainly noticed that pricing increased on airline fares the more I researched them, and they were always higher in the evening than during the morning.

It depends when the fare buckets get updated.

Lots of information about fare buckets and price variation on various frequent flyer forums, although these are usually behind a pay wall.

19 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

If you like to take a forward deck 8 balcony you can pay £5058 for the privilege. The £4958 is on deck 15 midships with all the incumbent problems.

Even a saver fare on this cruise is now £4498 or £4598 for a forward cabin. Zapp's fare is therefore a winner by a long way.

Our 3322 fare is for deck 9 midships. The 4958 was the cheapest select balcony. I didn't delve deeper.

12 hours ago, emam said:

They are now charging £3038 for the inside cabin three along from ours with £410 obc. It works out over £370 more than what we paid. However the option for the free coach has gone, so that makes it even dearer. There must be a lot of us northerners going on the cruise.

It makes a change for folk like me to comment that the price has gone up and we have won.us northerners like a bargain.🤣

• Like 1

We have a very easy old school method, we work on £100 pppn for a cruise (balcony) normally saver fare, this is what we believe is resonable.

Currently booked on B223 HF 14 nights at £1450 each now £2299 if it goes up or down we dont really stress about it any OBC would be a bonus not that you get that with saver. Just my musings!