Hairdryers on the Westerdam?!!

crystalspin

Let's help Sally of @Sallyandtex -- She has thick hair and needs a powerful hairdryer. I have 1" long hair and never tried out the hairdryers on HAL!

I seem to remember there is a permanently plugged in one in the bathroom, that is under-powered and one in the desk drawer, that may be better suited?

Recent cruisers, help a girl out!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Let's help Sally of @Sallyandtex -- She has thick hair and needs a powerful hairdryer. I have 1" long hair and never tried out the hairdryers on HAL!

I seem to remember there is a permanently plugged in one in the bathroom, that is under-powered and one in the desk drawer, that may be better suited?

Recent cruisers, help a girl out!

You are very kind!

Reading below looks like the one in the drawer should ok 😃😃.

Thanks so much everyone,  especially crystalspin!

17 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

(Just to add, my near sight isn't that great. )

Have the bathrooms got those magnifying mirrors?

No magnifying mirror in bathroom but there is one at the desk. I found the light to be very dim (both on the mirror and by the desk). Plus I think the mirror is only 3X. I bring one with a suction cup that can attach to the bathroom mirror. I only put it on the bathroom mirror when I need it. I don’t want it to be in the way of the stewards cleaning, nor fall off the mirror if the suction cup fails.

• Thanks 1

I have thick thick medium long wavy hair. At home I use a powerful dryer with defuser to help in drying. I have found the HAL hairdryers like most hotel dryers to be okay. That said, I prefer to shower at night, condition well, wrap my head in a towel, and sleep on it to dry it to be honest. There might be a bit of wetness left in the AM but the dryer HAL provides can definitely handle that. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Thanks 1

To my knowledge, a hair dryer from home is not allowed. It's considered a fire hazard. The ships' hairdryers have a special pulg that must be held in place by hand; otherwise, the plug will fall out of the socket. I have never had a problem. They have all worked okay, and you can always ask for another one if the one in your cabin doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

To my knowledge, a hair dryer from home is not allowed. It's considered a fire hazard. The ships' hairdryers have a special pulg that must be held in place by hand; otherwise, the plug will fall out of the socket. I have never had a problem. They have all worked okay, and you can always ask for another one if the one in your cabin doesn't work.

That is not correct.  You can’t bring irons or steamers.  I don’t like the hal hair dryers and I bring my own in my carry on with zero problems. 

• Thanks 1

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or post-cruise hotel packages may want to bring converters and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped with hair dryers. Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/ adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution.

If such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

Not true. However you are not supposed to use the plug in the bathroom for anything but a shaver. Perhaps that is why you had trouble with the plug. In over 200 days drying my hair on HAL ships, I have never experienced the my hair dryer plug falling out of the outlet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

Not true. However you are not supposed to use the plug in the bathroom for anything but a shaver. Perhaps that is why you had trouble with the plug. In over 200 days drying my hair on HAL ships, I have never experienced the my hair dryer plug falling out of the outlet.

Me either.  I’ve never tried the plug in the bathroom.  Much more comfortable at the desk for me.

• Like 1