Stingray City Grand Cayman

rdcmadden

I took one in 2017 through Celebrity.  It was a catamaran, the Cockatoo.  It had stairs.   Do you see that listed under the excursions?   The name was definitely listed when we booked.  

Great experience!  The crew, stingrays, water etc...  🥰

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

Marineland Tours has a boat called the Cayman Explorer that has stairs. My mom and I went on their tour back in 2013. Check out their website to see pictures of the boat. The stairs were great for her. Not sure if one of the Celebrity Excursions uses this company. When we used them, we booked through Royal Caribbean, so it is possible Celebrity also uses them.

I hated this tour.  I felt so sorry for the sting rays AND, the tour operators were so pushy with selling you photos.* it seemed shady that if you paid cash, you'd get all the pics at that very moment, but if you paid by card, they would have to send them to you later.   To each their own.  

• Haha 1

When we went to Stingray City on our Feb 2020 sailing on the Silhouette we booked a Celebrity excursion on a boat that had stairs and this feature was clearly noted in the excursion description (we were specifically looking for this due to mobility issues with someone in our group).  I'm sorry .... cannot recall the name of the boat/tour company offhand but if I do happen to remember it I will report back.

Edited by Reel Love

18 hours ago, calicakes said:

I hated this tour.  I felt so sorry for the sting rays AND, the tour operators were so pushy with selling you photos.* it seemed shady that if you paid cash, you'd get all the pics at that very moment, but if you paid by card, they would have to send them to you later.   To each their own.  

Why did you feel sorry for the stingrays?

They are not held captive on the sand bar and are there because they know there will be food.

Wen the stingray is done with the food and handling, it will leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Why did you feel sorry for the stingrays?

They are not held captive on the sand bar and are there because they know there will be food.

Wen the stingray is done with the food and handling, it will leave.

The stingrays were being passed around to give a kiss to. I don't think that's natural.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Maybe the kissing is not natural, but again, the stingrays can and will leave when done with the handling and feeding.

Of course they can leave.  I don't agree with the kissing and passing around.  PS:  How would you feel if a manatee calf( I've been to Homosassa State Park) was picked up and passed around to cuddle/kiss?  

3 hours ago, calicakes said:

Of course they can leave.  I don't agree with the kissing and passing around.  PS:  How would you feel if a manatee calf( I've been to Homosassa State Park) was picked up and passed around to cuddle/kiss?  

LOL - I volunteer at that Park.

How do you pick up a seventy pound baby (weight at birth about 66 pounds) while there is a two thousand pound mother separating you from her baby?

I have watched adult manatees charge people (they can put on a burst of speed of twenty mph) and knock them away from a threatened calf.

If the person survived the irate  mother  defending her calf, the immediate arrest of the breaker of the laws protecting manatees would solve the problem.

Edited by Homosassa

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

How do you pick up a seventy pound baby (weight at birth about 66 pounds) while there is a two thousand pound mother separating you from her baby?

Obviously, I was being facetious.  I think its better to observe the wildlife rather than disturb them. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, calicakes said:

Obviously, I was being facetious.  I think its better to observe the wildlife rather than disturb them. 

It wasn't obvious.

We get all types of fools in the Park and swimming out in the river harassing the wild manatees.

That is why there is Manatee Watch people out on the river to protect the manatees from the people.

On 9/10/2022 at 6:57 PM, Steve H said:

Stingray Sailings is a great tour operator he takes you out on a catamaran, with snorkeling after.

We did a similar excursion on Moby Dick Tours years ago. The Rays were fun but actually I liked the snorkel afterwards.   It was a little deeper area and the rays were swimming below with fish.  Water was crystal clear.  

On 9/10/2022 at 10:45 AM, calicakes said:

The stingrays were being passed around to give a kiss to. I don't think that's natural.

I am not certain, but I am pretty sure the sting rays could zap you with their stinger if they had any objections.   

On 9/10/2022 at 9:23 PM, calicakes said:

Hey I get your point.  You can choose not to participate.  I did kiss one after I was pushed into it, but I wouldn’t do it again.

When we saw penguins in South America we totally left them alone.