Itinerary changed for 10/2 Encore Sailing - No more Skagway, Icy Strait Point it is!

Lupush

Just received a notification that Skagway has been replaced with Icy Strait Point on my upcoming sailing on the Encore 10/2.  Can any recent cruisers offer suggestions on best excursions/things to do in Icy Strait?

Thanks.

The same change has been made for my Encore 9/25 sailing. I was in ISP last fall before the new gondola to the top of the mountain was finished. Going to do that for sure this time.  It is a great place to go whale watching as well. My parents have done the cooking class and enjoyed it enough to repeat it on subsequent visits. The zip line looks fun if that is your kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, Lupush said:

Just received a notification that Skagway has been replaced with Icy Strait Point on my upcoming sailing on the Encore 10/2.  Can any recent cruisers offer suggestions on best excursions/things to do in Icy Strait? Thanks.

Not much to do in ISP. They have their bear watching (if your lucky) and whale watching.

We were there earlier this year and just took the gondola to the top of the mountain. They have not built any of the "entertainment center" up there except for the gondola station.

BUT,,, they have an AT&T tower on top of the mountain, so you have excellent cell service! (which you don't get down by the dock). 

We spent a couple of hours up there walking the trails. It is beautiful.

image.thumb.png.ca9de9fee7bc96f0d3b3ad970477ceb6.png 

image.thumb.png.cb5e3c076cc78237d309c03529b13d94.png

From the top of the mountain, the Bliss on her way to her next port. On this day, the Bliss left someone behind on the mountain top (they thought that the ship would wait for them). 

image.png.93ebd26f2beae7169d9af4dff28471a7.png

Wyland sculpture donated to ISP by NCL. 

image.thumb.png.9770859c572c25a25b30f7bf21df0741.png

We even did some whale watching from the dock

image.thumb.png.80b863260a1c2fb0a8469c72701e53ad.png

• Like 1

We loved going to ISP.  Hoonah is a genuine Alaska town, unlike the touristy nature of Skagway and Ketchikan.   Despite the rain, the whale watching and bear watching excursion was great. We did see bears as well as salmon swimming in the Spasski River.    Just make sure you bring rain jackets with you and also rain hood for your camera.  I actually think walking through the woods in the rain added to the experience.   

We are on the same cruise as you are.  The biggest challenge will be which excursions are available. As with end of season a lot of tour companies closed down.  NCL has not updated the travel summary, so not able to see what is available 

Wulfwyn 

15 hours ago, hallux said:

The same change has been made to every sailing since the rock slides closed docks at Skagway a month ago.

I am on the 10/3 Spirit sailing and we have not been notified of any change, our itinerary on NCL.com is still showing Skagway as well. We are just over 3 weeks away from sailing.

Sitka is one of our other ports already.

Its possible I missed something? But there is no mention of it on our roll call and I see no excursion refund either.

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I am on the 10/3 Spirit sailing and we have not been notified of any change, our itinerary on NCL.com is still showing Skagway as well. We are just over 3 weeks away from sailing.

Sitka is one of our other ports already.

Its possible I missed something? But there is no mention of it on our roll call and I see no excursion refund either.

Spirit uses a different dock, so you shouldn’t be affected. Encore is too large to use any dock there other than the one affected by the rock slide.

18 hours ago, Lupush said:

Just received a notification that Skagway has been replaced with Icy Strait Point on my upcoming sailing on the Encore 10/2.  Can any recent cruisers offer suggestions on best excursions/things to do in Icy Strait?

Thanks.

Whale watching with Glacier Winds is excellent. If they are booked, try Hoonah Travel Adventures. 

Icy Strait Point is out favorite port since it relatively undeveloped and does not have any shopping other than some local vendors in the restored cannery. The scenery is beautiful, the hiking trails are nice, the mini donuts at the stand near the end of the zip line are excellent.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Icy Straight. We walked into Hoonah and took the shuttle back. Hoonah is small town and we were able to talk to locals. We also watched men making a totem pole which was cool. The walk is about 1.5 miles along the water. There is a great little donut shack in Icy Straight right near the tribal show. Icy Straight itself is the port where you get off the ship and it has some shops and restaurants. 

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

Whale watching with Glacier Winds is excellent. If they are booked, try Hoonah Travel Adventures. 

Icy Strait Point is out favorite port since it relatively undeveloped and does not have any shopping other than some local vendors in the restored cannery. The scenery is beautiful, the hiking trails are nice, the mini donuts at the stand near the end of the zip line are excellent.

Totally agree with you about Glacier Winds. Funny thing we were supposed to be at Icy Straits Point yesterday on the Quantum of the Seas but they cancelled their stop there a few months ago because of continuing engine problems so we cancelled that cruise. But we are getting on the Encore in about 6 weeks to do the Panama Canal cruise.