Can you use ROKU on Ovation of the Seas balcony staterooms?

Has anyone been able to connect their ROKU to the television to be able to stream shows - we will have Surf and Stream

Any suggestions - greatly appreciated - have a lot of days at sea and the last time we were on Royal the programming was not great - if any update news on programming would appreciate your advice

Thank you - stay well and safe

1 hour ago, Tolkmit said:

Officially, you are not allowed to plug any electronic devices into your television. Per Royal Caribbean policy.

Where does it say that? I have never read that in anything I have received. Nor has anyone ever said anything to me including a TV repair man or the Voom Desk who came in to our suite to figure out why we were unable to stream. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

Where does it say that? I have never read that in anything I have received. Nor has anyone ever said anything to me including a TV repair man or the Voom Desk who came in to our suite to figure out why we were unable to stream. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-i-connect-devices-into-my-stateroom-television

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I had a Firestick on Ovation last week, and the first day I looked to see if I could stream to the room TV.  The TV had a metal contraption on it that made the ports inaccessible, and it even covered the HDMI cable which was plugged into the TV so I couldn't unplug it to plug in the Firestick.  I have used Firesticks on other ships, but this was the first time I have seen something like this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

If you're taking Ovation on an Alaska cruise, it won't matter anyway.  From what I hear, Internet service is VERY slow.

They mentioned a lot of sea days, so I’m thinking more to Hawaii and possibly on to Australia. Just a guess.

• Like 1

Makes me wonder if the TVs are starting to be like the ones I've seen in hotels in the past year, where they're running some kind of proprietary firmware. Last time we were on a road family trip, we were greeted by a personalized display on the TV when we checked into some hotels. (It greeted us by name, gave us the wifi passwords, and other such things related to the stay.) It wouldn't surprise me if cruise ships started to do something similar, particularly to display schedule or weather information.

Now, we're not really TV watchers so I didn't attempt this, but I found myself wondering if some of those proprietary TVs support miracast or chromecast or something similar. 🤔 Anybody here on a ship that can test this?

See my post in this thread. It references 2 other threads with information about connecting devices to TVs. But I was able to use my Firestick in Norway, even above the Arctic Circle, the resolution/quality kept degrading, but it was usable.

Edited by RobInMN

Ovation had the worst TV of all the ships I have been on.  Only one channel had a movie playing all day long.  No ondemand of PVP movies.  Several cartoon and news channels.  We like to watch a movie occasionally.   I could not stream any movies on Netflix on my laptop.   

If you have an iPad, download the Roku App using your profile, I am sure it will work on an Android  and you will mirror the apps that you have on your home page on Roku and then you can watch them, from Netflix, HBO, Roku Channel, Freevee, Apple, Prime, Tubi, etc.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

If you have an iPad, download the Roku App using your profile, I am sure it will work on an Android  and you will mirror the apps that you have on your home page on Roku and then you can watch them, from Netflix, HBO, Roku Channel, Freevee, Apple, Prime, Tubi, etc.

How can I mirror my Android device to the cabin TV? Thanks in advance,!

7 hours ago, seapad said:

How can I mirror my Android device to the cabin TV? Thanks in advance,!

I was on Ovation in 2019 and I was able to watch Netflix by using a 10 foot HDMI cable hooked up to my laptop and changing the input on the tv to HDMI, then I brought along a GE TV remote from Walmart that had a sticker indicating that it was Samsung ready, (use the auto code search) in order to play movies.  Don’t forget the batteries for the remote.

I had no problem watching it since Netflix recognize me based in Miami through Royal’s Miami location.

Now if they block the HDMI ports, then you will need to watch from your device of choice.

Edited by Plum Happy

In the past I have also connect my laptop via HDMI cable and used a universal remote to change the inputs.  To my surprise on my last cruise on Odyssey (Jun '22) the RCI software on the TV had a "Casting" option. So once connected to the ships wifi I was able to cast content from my phone (Netflix, other) to the TV and while it did have a disconnect or two overall it worked pretty well.  Not sure if this option is rolled out widely yet so I'd be curious if other ships and sailings have seen this option.

• Like 3

I made a post when I sailed Anthem of the seas. Should be the same since it is a quantum class ship. ( The newest TV's have option right in the menu to screen cast other user's have reported, also some TV models' are locked down, I verified this on Oasis of the seas when I sailed in April22 ).

You can refer to this post :

Pictures of back of TV here:   You can screen Mirror your device to TV and or plug into HDMI1 or HDMI2 

image.thumb.png.a299b7991232fea2e6aa5443d3de150b.png
image.thumb.png.2ebcd4541bf90f7cef53bb7bee4c0be7.png
image.thumb.png.911f30b79b4cb1b223aa5e097b51c36e.png

Edited by alexgtp
  • Like 1