Live-NCL Breakaway 10/30-11/06/2022-New England/Canada-Club Balcony Suite

graphicguy

38 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Ah, well the OP said he was right around $900, so probably excluding the travel insurance (he didn't say he was paying that), it makes sense you would be seeing roughly double the price.

When I booked, I paid something like $486 out of pocket for my balcony, but the pricing was different then. I think it was slightly more than it is currently, but I had $500 of CruiseFirst and a 20% off coupon. I didn't buy the insurance, because I get travel insurance through my credit card.

If I were to try to book a Club Balcony Suite right now, as the OP did, the total solo price comes out to $1051.40 without insurance, so perhaps the price has gone up a bit since he booked.

So he is paying 900 for a club balcony suite and I would be paying 1,800 for an inside.  Although I will admit I thought he was paying less than 900 - perhaps I didn’t read it correctly (or too quickly which I tend to do). Thanks for your responses. I appreciate it. 

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Ah, well the OP said he was right around $900, so probably excluding the travel insurance (he didn't say he was paying that), it makes sense you would be seeing roughly double the price.

When I booked, I paid something like $486 out of pocket for my balcony, but the pricing was different then. I think it was slightly more than it is currently, but I had $500 of CruiseFirst and a 20% off coupon. I didn't buy the insurance, because I get travel insurance through my credit card.

If I were to try to book a Club Balcony Suite right now, as the OP did, the total solo price comes out to $1051.40 without insurance, so perhaps the price has gone up a bit since he booked.

I think it has gone up since we booked.  Here's my breakdown for a Club Balcony Cabin-Solo....

PASSENGER CHARGES
Description 1
Cruise Fare $ 590.50
Beverage Package Service Fee  $ 138.60
Dining Package Service Fee  $ 17.80
Future Credit Certificate  $ -419.90
Tax / Fees $ 226.00
PASSENGER TOTAL  $ 553.00

On top of that, I get $75 OBC.  I get $200 OBC + LeBistro dinner and a bottle of wine from AMEX Platinum.  I get another $100 of OBC for being an NCL stock holder.  TA will pick up the tips (service fees) of $139+$18=$157 when I embark.  I get another 2 Specialty Dinners for "FREE AT SEA" and another 2 Specialty Dinners for Latitude Sapphire.

So, that figures to be....

$553

($157) tips

$375 OBC

5 Free Specialty Dinners

1 bottle of wine

I know OBC doesn't cost NCL anything, but that's money that doesn't come out of my pocket.  And, the FCC was the result of my last cruise's price drop.  So, I've already paid that, regardless.

But, if you total it up, this cruise costs $178.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, graphicguy said:

And, the FCC was the result of my last cruise's price drop.  So, I've already paid that, regardless.

But, if you total it up, this cruise costs $178.

This is what we call Emotional accounting. 

You pre-paid $419.

Just because you didn't pull the money out of your pocket on THIS exact cruise doesn't mean you didn't spend that money lol. 

Still a good deal 🙂 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

On 9/22/2022 at 2:59 PM, GSLMOM said:

Yes, however I’m not solo. There will be two of us.  And those are the prices I see, but once all is said and done, an inside with perks and insurance came to $1,800.  

That's crazy. Just looked, and a Club Balcony Suite is only $300 more (for 2) than an inside cabin.

The last time I had a solo fare that didn't penalize me for sailing solo (charged the 2 passenger rate) was on the Celebrity Edge over a year ago.

This fare is what I just saw for a Family Inside....

PRICE SUMMARY

Total

$1,646.80 

STATEROOM

2 Guests

Family Inside 

$1,496 

40% OFF All Cruises

$897.60

FREE AT SEA

Open Bar

Selected

Specialty Dining

Selected

Shore Excursions

Included

WiFi

Included

+MORE OFFERS

40% OFF All Cruises

Included

Subtotal 

$897.60 

Gov. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses 

$452 

Open Bar Gratuities 

$277.20 

Specialty Dining Gratuities 

$20 

Total Due

$1,646.80 

41 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Here's the pricing I've seen for Oct 30 ...

Yippie ... checking in here, now that we're rested up after yesterday's fast-track express Joy disembarkation, looking at your steal, ooops, I meant, sweet deal.   What do I see (for a smart solo traveler like you) - forget the studio and oceanview, go straight to a balcony (GTY) with all the Free At Seas promo, just $499 as base fares plus the extras/usual add-ons ... wow and OMG comes to mind, at more than a month out.  There is simply no way for this sailing to be anywhere near being sold out ... DW too busy on her iPad to pay attention on let's book, pack and go ... something about "not really going to hit up some of the same ports again, we got went"  Okay, if prices drop even further - maybe I'll just hit the "Enter" key.  

BTW, I have a funky feeling that some of the Fall/early winter cruises out of NY to Bermuda/Norfolk & Nassau/GSC and Nassau are going to somewhat identical, excluding the ones around holidays.  Afterall, NCL wouldn't be doing on-the-spot at the lobby Guest Services counter for an instant "Deal or No Deal" upgrade on recent sailings ... applying even available OBC right there & then.  

Looking at the NYC calendar of events, you do know that you are disembarking into the city on Marathon Sunday ... plan your transport route to LGA (assuming the same airport on the return segment) as it's known that some taxi, car services and even Uber/Lyft drivers take that day off just to avoid the city's gridlock and key route closures.  

• Like 7

Well….I guess if they can’t even remember my name, I must not be too special to them.  Got this email from MSC today.  I don’t recall the perks to be all that good to begin with….and they did a status match, so I’m Diamond with them.

According to MSC, I have to book and sail by December.  But, their discounts are only valid if I book 6-12 months out.  What’s the point?

Dear ,

Did you know that your MSC Voyagers Club card is due to expire on 2022-12-31?

If that happens, you will miss out on all the benefits you have earned by cruising with us in the past.

But don't worry! To maintain your membership status book a cruise and depart before the expiration date:

As an MSC Voyagers Club member, you are eligible for 5% off all of our cruises.

Plus, you can save even more on your next cruise with Voyagers Exclusives by booking more than 12 months before departure for special benefits such as 5%+5% Discount + Double Points. Silver, Gold, and Diamond members will also receive $50 Free Onboard Credit per person. 

Or book more than 6 months in advance for a 5%+5% Discount, and if you are a Silver, Gold, or Diamond member and book 9 months in advance you will also receive $50 Free Onboard Credit per person.

Don’t miss out. Book now!

We would love to welcome you back on board and we hope to see you again soon.

The MSC Voyagers Club Team
Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dcipjr said:

Come with us, Henry!

@graphicguy, @mking8288, and @JamieLogical on the same sailing—the CC boards would implode.

OMG ... thanks, and rest assure this is on my "short list" to book last minute.  The other is the 5 nighter on the Prima, just to smell the new ship and see what all the fuzz is all about.  Going to play the let's watch prices & decide on the spot that the deal is too good to pass up.  CC board will be fine, the NCL sub-forum would be buzzing for sure with some of us covering the ship, bow to stern.  I am NOT going to a semi-live and just sit back & watch, too familiar with the BA although we haven't sail her since the not-so-recent dry dock days.  It also look (reading about it) that the Roll Call and Meet & Greet being in good hands too, as it often do ... 

The other good news is that post disembarkation last Friday, we self-tested twice with negative C19 results, that's good b/c at least 1 couple on the roll call shared/reported they began feeling it toward the end of the cruise & were positive upon coming home.  Canada dropping the mandatory ArriveCAN requirement is also good.  

Regardless, just a heads up for all - pass it along to the Roll Call as I'm not "barging" in there (not yet anyway) to alert out-of-towners that they will disembarking the ship into NYC Marathon Sunday, to allow extra ground travel time to airports and confirm transport pickup ... last week with the U.N. General Assembly going on, East Side of Manhattan, that surge pricing kicked in & out with Uber & we couldn't book our usual Carmel for the return trip to Queens, luckily - Lyft came thru, although we did pay about 15% more in total.  

Dan as GG, maybe you should inform MSC that you are waiting for them to relocate one of their ship to NYC in 2023 ... and, then see what they say

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

OMG ... thanks, and rest assure this is on my "short list" to book last minute.  The other is the 5 nighter on the Prima, just to smell the new ship and see what all the fuzz is all about.  Going to play the let's watch prices & decide on the spot that the deal is too good to pass up.  CC board will be fine, the NCL sub-forum would be buzzing for sure with some of us covering the ship, bow to stern.  I am NOT going to a semi-live and just sit back & watch, too familiar with the BA although we haven't sail her since the not-so-recent dry dock days.  It also look (reading about it) that the Roll Call and Meet & Greet being in good hands too, as it often do ... 

The other good news is that post disembarkation last Friday, we self-tested twice with negative C19 results, that's good b/c at least 1 couple on the roll call shared/reported they began feeling it toward the end of the cruise & were positive upon coming home.  Canada dropping the mandatory ArriveCAN requirement is also good.  

Regardless, just a heads up for all - pass it along to the Roll Call as I'm not "barging" in there (not yet anyway) to alert out-of-towners that they will disembarking the ship into NYC Marathon Sunday, to allow extra ground travel time to airports and confirm transport pickup ... last week with the U.N. General Assembly going on, East Side of Manhattan, that surge pricing kicked in & out with Uber & we couldn't book our usual Carmel for the return trip to Queens, luckily - Lyft came thru, although we did pay about 15% more in total.  

Dan as GG, maybe you should inform MSC that you are waiting for them to relocate one of their ship to NYC in 2023 ... and, then see what they say

All input is welcomed, here.

Yeah....I'll send MSC a letter reminding them of their missed opportunities by not having a ship out of NYC.  Actually, I think that's a great idea.

Thanks for the "heads up".  Was looking at Super Shuttle to EWR after I disembark.  Already booked Super Shuttle from LGA to the pier on Embarkation Day.  Thinking I'm in decent shape as my home bound flight departs at 2:00 p.m.  Figuring I'm good to go.

Haven't been on Breakaway since it was "refurbished".  But, I'm imagining it's the same as the Getaway, which I sailed this past July.

From what I understand, Canada doesn't require ArriveCAN any more.  And, it's sounding like testing is no longer required, either.  So, good on all fronts (although, I did schedule a proctored C19 test, which is non-refundable, but it was only $14).

Edited by graphicguy

5 hours ago, mking8288 said:

There's already been several posts on the Roll Call about the marathon being that day, so most should already be aware.

• Like 1

@graphicguy It looks like I could upgrade to a GTY Club Balcony Suite for ~$60 more than I paid for my current angled balcony on deck 13. The room I am currently booked in, I have stayed in before and I definitely enjoyed the slightly larger balcony, since the balconies on the Breakaway are so teeny tiny. But with this being a cold weather cruise, I might not spend much time on the balcony anyway. Think it's worth the extra space and nicer bathroom, but giving up the balcony space and the choice of room location?

12 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

@graphicguy It looks like I could upgrade to a GTY Club Balcony Suite for ~$60 more than I paid for my current angled balcony on deck 13. The room I am currently booked in, I have stayed in before and I definitely enjoyed the slightly larger balcony, since the balconies on the Breakaway are so teeny tiny. But with this being a cold weather cruise, I might not spend much time on the balcony anyway. Think it's worth the extra space and nicer bathroom, but giving up the balcony space and the choice of room location?

I also have a GTY Club Balcony.  Can't think of any of those locations being bad, plus it comes with all the perks.

I know it will be chilly.  But, I'm all about having a nightcap on the balcony.  Also like having a.m. coffee out there.  If it's 50º, I can. throw on a sweatshirt and be fine.  

I do like the bigger bathroom, too.  Not that I take up a lot of space, I just like it more.

$60?  I'd jump on it.  Even if it only means you'll be able to see NYC as we sail away, that by itself would be worth it to me.

Let us know what you decide.

Edited by graphicguy

Slooooowwww days waiting for this cruise.  So, pretty much open on post topics.

Anyway, mentioned I used to use a GoPro for live posting here at CC.  That has since turned into a newly acquired iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Looking for a case, since this thing was not cheap. I don’t want to skimp.  But, am looking for something in leather with MagSafe charging capability, even a wallet type would be nice.  I know, not asking for much.

Any suggestions?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

Thought of you yesterday, @graphicguy. Yesterday’s hurricane reminded me of your flight to Florida several years ago only to find out your cruise was cancelled.

Yeah…that was a cluster.  I was really steamed at NCL.  They refused to cancel our Caribbean cruise regardless of all the weather predictions of the impending hurricane.  They finally did cancel 7 hours before embarkation time (3:00 a.m.).  My TA called me at my hotel to inform me.  That‘s when I decided she would get ALL of my business, as she was dedicated enough to call her clients who she’d booked on the same cruise, staying up practically all night to do so.

Trying to get a flight back home was quite the endeavor, too.  One of those cruise (or, should I say “non-cruise” experiences) I’d rather forget.

Hoping those affected by Ian stay well and safe.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

Not sure everyone knows this about this cruise, but there are updates to the requirements to sail in, to, and from Canada……

For Sailings on or after September 30, 2022: 

Canada has removed all COVID-19 entry restrictions for all travellers regardless of citizenship. Guests will no longer have to:

• submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website
  • provide proof of vaccination
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.
Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah…that was a cluster.  I was really steamed at NCL.  They refused to cancel our Caribbean cruise regardless of all the weather predictions of the impending hurricane.  They finally did cancel 7 hours before embarkation time (3:00 a.m.).  My TA called me at my hotel to inform me.  That‘s when I decided she would get ALL of my business, as she was dedicated enough to call her clients who she’d booked on the same cruise, staying up practically all night to do so.

Trying to get a flight back home was quite the endeavor, too.  One of those cruise (or, should I say “non-cruise” experiences) I’d rather forget.

Hoping those affected by Ian stay well and safe.

@graphicguy I am sorry this happened to you.  I want to say, it was no NCL's fault but they could have handled the situation differently.  In our world today, health and safety have to take the lead over money/profits.  What really struck me about your post was the due diligence your TA did.  Bravo to them and I can see why you will use them in the future.  That is commitment.  

Traveling is bad weather on a cruise is awful.  This kind of weather is a new level of dangerous.  NCL could clearly see no cruise out of these port were going out.  Good decision to cancel bad decision to wait so long.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure everyone knows this about this cruise, but there are updates to the requirements to sail in, to, and from Canada……

For Sailings on or after September 30, 2022: 

Canada has removed all COVID-19 entry restrictions for all travellers regardless of citizenship. Guests will no longer have to:

• submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website
  • provide proof of vaccination
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.

It really is hard to keep up with all the changing requirements for cruising and different countries/destinations....I do hope that sometime soon Bermuda will opt for something similar (at least before April when I am going)

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@graphicguy I am sorry this happened to you.  I want to say, it was no NCL's fault but they could have handled the situation differently.  In our world today, health and safety have to take the lead over money/profits.  What really struck me about your post was the due diligence your TA did.  Bravo to them and I can see why you will use them in the future.  That is commitment.  

Traveling is bad weather on a cruise is awful.  This kind of weather is a new level of dangerous.  NCL could clearly see no cruise out of these port were going out.  Good decision to cancel bad decision to wait so long.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Gary....agree on all counts.  Still a bit miffed about it.  If I hadn't  flown to FL before that cruise, NCL could have checked guests in, cancelled the cruise immediately afterwards, and counted me as a "no show" and kept the entire cruise fare I paid.  Even insurance wouldn't have covered that.  

They knew the hurricane was coming.  And, they knew it was due to hit the day the cruise was supposed to set sail. I kept calling my TA to see if it was cancelled before I flew out.  She (shockingly) said it was going to sail.  

I even thought to myself..."well, if NCL believes they can sail around it, they know better than me".  Boy, was I ever wrong.

I think (I hope, I pray) that COVID shutdown has left, not only NCL, but all cruise lines, with a better understanding that their guests' safety isn't just something they can talk about, but must be proactive in protecting.

Said it before, I do give NCL credit. Up until just now, over the last 2.5+ years, they required everyone to be vaccinated and tested.  They didn't waver from that until recently.  Saw a stat that 95+% of their customer base is vaccinated as of right now.

But, as much as I have irritated by NCL (and, over the years, that's been a lot), I keep coming back. I'm not exclusive to NCL though.  I like the product Celebrity puts out, too.  I know @JamieLogical gas taken a similar route with her NCL frustrations and turning to Celebrity.

As an aside, I guess it could be worse.  I just saw a blurb that Carnival is now charging for Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.  Don't know the details, but talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face with a policy.......LOL!

• Like 1