Hey Shrek...can you please call off Fiona?

island lady

8 hours ago, perfect match said:

@island lady, We’re on Harmony now. Seems like Fiona won’t be able to catch up with us. I’m just hoping she doesn’t follow us home. We don’t need another round of fried electronics at our house! Hope Fiona turns into a fish 🐠 🐟 storm so you and everyone else cruising next week can enjoy your cruises.

It was pretty violent yesterday with the lighting and heavy downpours here yesterday afternoon.  Not too bad today, but still predicting rain.  

Enjoy the rest of your cruise...and safe journey back. 🙂   Thanks for bringing her back home for us!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MightyMike said:

Sounds like Harmony's next cruise is heading West!

It is.  Got the email yesterday.  

We are skipping St. Maarten and St. Thomas in favor of going totally west to Cozumel and Costa Maya. Had to cancel my private tour in St. Maarten...and hope for a refund.  

I am actually shocked that they found room this late at those busy docks there.  😮 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

FYI

Maya Chan is closed until I think mid October.  Tried to book it for the first week of October.  Closed for updating and protection from hurricane season I guess. 

Makes sense...thanks for the update!  🙂   Even if they were open during this time...probably would have been booked up weeks ago.  

7 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Though 20-30 yrs ago the end of Aug threw mid Nov was really cheap compared to other times, now not as much $$$$ off

Especially now with ships sailing full and RCI having a whole lot of catching up to do to get back to making money again.  😉 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, island lady said:

Especially now with ships sailing full and RCI having a whole lot of catching up to do to get back to making money again.  😉 

Won't being paying top dollar like before for the product they are  delivering now until things are back to the way they were. Until then we will just sit it out and put our $$$ toward other things.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:15 PM, AmbitionatBay said:

Thank you so much @Pelican Bill for your updates and interpretation!  We are going to be on the 5 day Getaway leaving NYC this Thursday at 4:00 and are headed to Bermuda. I am hoping if it takes the path you show we can head down South a bit and then over to Bermuda to miss rough seas Thursday night and Friday.

Any thoughts?

On 9/16/2022 at 3:13 PM, Another_Critic said:

Unless the storm pops up when you’re docked and can’t depart because the channel is too narrow to transit.

Got caught in a Tropical Storm on Nordic Empress when docked at the Dockyard in Bermuda. Had tugboats holding us to the dock, but the ship was still rocking and rolling.  Norwegian ship was in St. Georges and snapped the lines and started drifting.  

Had to delay departure while waiting for the airport to open so a crew from Miami could come to inspect the long gash in the ship from repeatedly hitting the dock.

Oh Jesus. 😞 

Stay safe, those that are cruising and those where the storms reach land. 

I have often questioned the wisdom of cruise companies sailing in known storm seasons and locations. I get it, cruises are prob cheaper for people and its not storms everyday but for us who have to save hard to cruise once a year its not a risk we would take. 

But for those that do, hope you enjoy and stay safe. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 8:32 AM, LEMJMcC said:

Cruising through a storm can be a lot of fun, if you're one of the lucky ones not prone to seasickness!  We were on Freedom some years ago and sailed from Cozumel back to Port Canaveral in a storm.  Boy was that ship rocking and rolling...we had the pool to ourselves!  We had a blast watching the waves break on the bow of the ship and send showers all the way up over it.  Enjoy the ride!

But it is really annoying when they close the outside decks.🤨

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Stay safe, those that are cruising and those where the storms reach land. 

I have often questioned the wisdom of cruise companies sailing in known storm seasons and locations. I get it, cruises are prob cheaper for people and its not storms everyday but for us who have to save hard to cruise once a year its not a risk we would take. 

But for those that do, hope you enjoy and stay safe. 

You do know that Hurricane season is 6 months long I hope. So, they're supposed to not sail  June 1-Nov 30?  Worst seas we were ever in was in March in the Atlantic.  3 Low Pressure systems created high waves and wind.  30 foot waves.  That was outside of Hurricane season.  What most people do not understand is that the ships can handle the storms quite well.  Any changes to itinerary are for guests comfort.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

My husband and I were on the Anthem in 2016 when they took us through Hurricane Hermine. If I remember correctly I think they were trying to go east to get around the storm and it decided to go east so to get to Bermuda we basically had to go through it. At one point our cabin tv said 90 knot wind speed. They closed all outside decks but we were not confined to the cabin. It was rough seas and very rocky but the ship got through it fine. Saturday is our first cruise since then…to Bermuda. 🤪 If it was just my husband and I, I would go and trust the cruise lines to navigate the storm. We are bringing our young kids this time and if their first cruise is what we experienced before they would be terrified and we probably wouldn’t get them on another cruise for a while. We are watching the storm closely. Hoping all the islands get through it fine. Good luck to everyone cruising this week and the ships can handle some pretty crazy weather. 

• Like 1

We are (surprisingly) docked up at Coco Cay right now, and the sun is out.  Though very warm and humid, I would suspect we might get an afternoon thundershower.  

Last night around 3 am, cruising just south of Grand Bahama...we went through one doozy of a thunderstorm...lots of lightning, wind, and rain.   Though I think most slept through it.  😉 

Calm seas, and happy pax on the island right now.  

Will wander on shore in a bit, do our walk, and pick up a couple of Coco Locos. 😄 

Tonight we head west, instead of east.  Got an email from our private tour that we had booked, that it is now cancelled and refunded.  Will try again when we go there in January.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BND said:

You do know that Hurricane season is 6 months long I hope. So, they're supposed to not sail  June 1-Nov 30?  Worst seas we were ever in was in March in the Atlantic.  3 Low Pressure systems created high waves and wind.  30 foot waves.  That was outside of Hurricane season.  What most people do not understand is that the ships can handle the storms quite well.  Any changes to itinerary are for guests comfort.

No idea we dont have them here in the UK.

• Haha 3

On 9/17/2022 at 5:50 AM, island lady said:

Ooooohhh...wave rider in the main pool!!   No lines...no waiting.  😄 

20-30yrs ago I use to Cruise almost every yr over Labor Day. Many times Pool water would be going back/forth over the sides before they shut it down. Lot passengers in Pool were enjoying this..

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, island lady said:

It is.  Got the email yesterday.  

We are skipping St. Maarten and St. Thomas in favor of going totally west to Cozumel and Costa Maya. Had to cancel my private tour in St. Maarten...and hope for a refund.  

I am actually shocked that they found room this late at those busy docks there.  😮 

Enjoy the Western C.  Try Jaime's Blue Reef in Costa Maya. He's on FB and might be able to take you depending upon  # of ships in.  Tell him CrewSweeper said to let you in , LOL.

If he's full, then either non-AI  Krazy Lobster or Tropicante would be my second choice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Enjoy the Western C.  Try Jaime's Blue Reef in Costa Maya. He's on FB and might be able to take you depending upon  # of ships in.  Tell him CrewSweeper said to let you in , LOL.

If he's full, then either non-AI  Krazy Lobster or Tropicante would be my second choice.

Thanks.  Have done Tropicante many times in the past.  Steve left years ago.  Just not the same without him now.  

Unfortunately we don't arrive to Costa Maya until 11 am, and that is assuming we are there on time.  Most things we would like to do would be starting in the morning, before it gets hotter than the devil.  Will just walk around early, then back to the ship for lunch and to enjoy the empty ship.  

Definitely looking forward to our usual favorite there....Karlita's Mexican Kitchen cooking class in December on Serenade.  🥰

• Like 2

3 hours ago, island lady said:

We are (surprisingly) docked up at Coco Cay right now, and the sun is out.  Though very warm and humid, I would suspect we might get an afternoon thundershower.  

Last night around 3 am, cruising just south of Grand Bahama...we went through one doozy of a thunderstorm...lots of lightning, wind, and rain.   Though I think most slept through it.  😉 

None of that would have been from Fiona. The only impacts to the Bahamas (as far as cruising goes) could be some rough surf the next couple days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

None of that would have been from Fiona. The only impacts to the Bahamas (as far as cruising goes) could be some rough surf the next couple days.

Absolutely beautiful day at Coco Cay.  Little sprinkle this morning for a couple of minutes , but everything else is about perfect.  We are the only ship here.  

We are enjoying the empty beach at Chill beach. It has been empty all day long. Don’t know where everyone is but they’re certainly not at chill beach. We came out a little earlier than usual, we left right when they had the black out emergency test, we were here about 9:15. We walked over to the pool and it wasn’t too crowded. 

it’s now 2 o’clock, chairs have remained empty all day and it’s been picture perfect, except  perhaps for a couple of jellyfish in the ocean. 

i would have preferred the Eastern side, but I’ve been through this before and I have no issues. We are back to back and have western next week, but luckily completely different ports except of course we were visiting Coco Cay both weeks. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Agree...just a normal Carib summertime thunderstorm squall.  It was pretty wild for awhile though early this morning on the way here. 

Still calm here in Coco Cay...though a bit of quick passing rain a few times already.  Still plenty of sun, and have already witnessed a few "lobsters" coming back to the ship.  😄 

We will be long gone before we would feel any effects of Fiona.  Westward bound.  😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Absolutely beautiful day at Coco Cay.  Little sprinkle this morning for a couple of minutes , but everything else is about perfect.  We are the only ship here.  

We are enjoying the empty beach at Chill beach. It has been empty all day long. Don’t know where everyone is but they’re certainly not at chill beach. We came out a little earlier than usual, we left right when they had the black out emergency test, we were here about 9:15

it’s now 2 o’clock, chairs have remained empty all day and it’s been picture perfect, except  perhaps for a couple of jellyfish in the ocean. 

i would have preferred the Eastern side, but I’ve been through this before and I have no issues. We are back to back and have western next week, but luckily completely different ports except of course we were visiting Coco Cay both weeks. 

m

We were at South Beach having a Coco Loco at the bar there when we saw that one downpour of rain coming.  Was just nice to wash the air for a bit...and add to the humidity.  😉  

Bucky opted out of his usual hot dog at Chill Island buffet for a taco.  I love the taco bar there...you can get quite creative.  

That indeed was an odd test...the blackout.  Have not seen that before, that I have noticed anyway.  Almost everything electronic shut down.  Heard some howling upset pax on the stairs that were grumpy about the elevator shut down.  We always take the stairs down anyway...I guess those pax just got stuck with bad timing.  Did not bother us.  We headed to south beach on our usual walk around 10:30.  

Back to the ship for after lunch for beer and wine in the almost empty SL.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1