Thanksgiving Dinner Menu

TN Roz

Just now, TN Roz said:

We will be on the Valor for Thanksgiving. Does anyone have/know what the menu will be for dinner? That is assuming they have a special menu for Thanksgiving dinner...

Whole roast turkey is carved in the buffet in the evening on Thanksgiving. Pressed turkey is served at the plated sit down in the MDR. We prefer the real deal so opt for a casual Thanksgiving in the lido and practically have the whole place to ourselves every time.

Pano Turkey.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Whole roast turkey is carved in the buffet in the evening on Thanksgiving. Pressed turkey is served at the plated sit down in the MDR. We prefer the real deal so opt for a casual Thanksgiving in the lido and practically have the whole place to ourselves every time.

Pano Turkey.jpg

Yes, we've had the turkey in the MDR on Thanksgiving on Carnival and it's definitely NOT fresh carved turkey. The whole meal was disappointing TBH. This year we'll be on the Celebration for Thanksgiving and won't make the same mistake. 

Edited by kwokpot

17 minutes ago, TN Roz said:

We will be on the Valor for Thanksgiving. Does anyone have/know what the menu will be for dinner? That is assuming they have a special menu for Thanksgiving dinner...

To add to the previous posts you'll have to make some HARD decisions. Yes, there's a special Thanksgiving Day menu but to be very frank it's generally not very good, not real fresh turkey, and it's busy, crowded and noisy as hell. The servers were all stressed as hell. If you go to the buffet you can get REAL fresh carved turkey, so your actual meal is going to be better in quality, in a quieter and less busy environment. You can still dress up if you like, but yes it will be in the buffet and you'll have to serve yourselves. So you and your family will have to decide what's more important to you for Thanksgiving dinner. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Yes, we've had the turkey in the MDR on Thanksgiving on Carnival and it's definitely NOT fresh carved turkey. The whole meal was disappointing TBH. This year we'll be on the Celebration for Thanksgiving and won't make the same mistake. 

The pressed turkey is like this:

Swanson TV Dinner ~ Trust Swanson Tender Turkey ~ 1962 Vintage Print AD B41  | eBay

This wasn't a hard decision for us after our first Thanksgiving on Carnival. We look forward to Thanksgiving with Carnival now knowing how good the bird is in lido.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2

We have been on 6 Tday cruises and usually get one turkey dinner for us all to have a symbolic bite.  Then we chow down on our better dinners in the MDR.  I like being waited on so dinner on Lido is not in the cards for me.  Plus I know I will be making my awesome brined turkey for Christmas so we will get our turkey fix then😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Last Thanksgiving, 2021. Posted by John Heald. Google.

😉

Interesting. I've never seen a menu that extensive on a Carnival ship since the restart. There are things on that menu I've never seen before, carpaccio,figs, and mozzarella, for example. So far I've spent 45 nights this year on a Carnival ship and never have seen that appetiser before. I would love to see this menu on the Celebration this November. My last Thanksgiving on Carnival was on the Horizon in 2018 and the menu was one third that size. 

That was the menu I had on my Freedom cruise over Thanksgiving 2021. I agree it was very good. My wife and I ate in the MDR and then went up to Lido for some more turkey and dressing. We had another Thanksgiving cruise booked for this year but ended up switching it to a different week. But we would love to go on another Thanksgiving cruise again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

es, we've had the turkey in the MDR on Thanksgiving on Carnival and it's definitely NOT fresh carved turkey.

Agree - same at Christmas.  I was surprised - typically I'm fine with MDR food, but the Turkey was not very good on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

6 hours ago, woozles said:

I was thinking of reserving Cucina for Thanksgiving evening 

We are thinking about reserving  the steakhouse after everyone's comments. I prefer steak over turkey, but my husband was looking for a more traditional sit down meal. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Pressed turkey is served at the plated sit down in the MDR

What is pressed turkey? You talking about boneless turkey roast with mixed white and dark meat? I bought a bunch of those one year on special and they were delicious, heck, I only buy the whole turkey's because the stores offer them so cheaply during the holidays ($5-$7) and stick a few in the freezer. I actually prefer the turkey roasts (or a bunch of turkey legs/thighs), I don't really like the white meat much because it's usually dry, even if you cook it perfectly and pull it right on time, you only have a very small window when the white meat is supple/moist, after that it's better off in a sandwich slathered with mayo and cranberry sauce.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ... REALLY ... dislike special/holiday meals onboard. Last Thanksgiving we cruises and that happened to be "Formal" night, so Turkey instead of Prime Rib... fast forward to Christmas, yep, Christmas was on formal night as well, and they kicked Prime Rib off AGAIN!!!

Tom

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I ... REALLY ... dislike special/holiday meals onboard. Last Thanksgiving we cruises and that happened to be "Formal" night, so Turkey instead of Prime Rib... fast forward to Christmas, yep, Christmas was on formal night as well, and they kicked Prime Rib off AGAIN!!!

Tom

Did they offer prime rib on the second formal night? I'm booked Thanksgiving next year and hope it's a nice menu. I like turkey and would not be disappointed, but I like prime rib more. I just hope lobster is not kicked off, may have have to riot! And we know how to have a right-proper riot, being from California and all. 😄

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mondello said:

@Tom-n-Cheryl This thread made me think of you. I thought you were “cheated” last year, I was thinking Emeril was fixing your Thanksgiving dinner, not just a couple riffs on the Chef’s Table?

Yep - no Turkey dinner from Emeril... just a knock-your-socks-off gumbo.   B A M !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Did they offer prime rib on the second formal night? I'm booked Thanksgiving next year and hope it's a nice menu. I like turkey and would not be disappointed, but I like prime rib more. I just hope lobster is not kicked off, may have have to riot! And we know how to have a right-proper riot, being from California and all. 😄

I want to say yes, but there's a chance I'm mixing up cruises. I know last year I rolled snake eyes twice w/regard to holidays and Prime Rib. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I want to say yes, but there's a chance I'm mixing up cruises. I know last year I rolled snake eyes twice w/regard to holidays and Prime Rib. 🙂 

Yikes!  I just checked our schedule for this Tday cruise and Tday is on Elegant night.  Argh!!

14 hours ago, TN Roz said:

We are thinking about reserving  the steakhouse after everyone's comments. I prefer steak over turkey, but my husband was looking for a more traditional sit down meal. 

Maybe hit the buffet and grab a heaping plate of fresh carved turkey to take to the steakhouse with you.

• Like 1