Scooter on Anthem of the Seas

dleahy4444

My sister, who has mobility issues, wants to accompany my family on a November sailing of the Anthem. She does not need an accessible room per se but does need to use a scooter to get around. There is currently only one accessible stateroom is available on our sailing. Does anyone know if a scooter will fit in a standard inside cabin or balcony cabin? Thanks

I believe the company that has rentals for a cruise ship can provide scooters that will fit inside a standard cabin. It can be a problem  with where to put it while inside and still be able to move around.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

If she needs a scooter she has to store it in her cabin, so unless it can dismantle or fold to fit through the narrow doors she needs an accessible cabin.

1 hour ago, dleahy4444 said:

My sister, who has mobility issues, wants to accompany my family on a November sailing of the Anthem. She does not need an accessible room per se but does need to use a scooter to get around. There is currently only one accessible stateroom is available on our sailing. Does anyone know if a scooter will fit in a standard inside cabin or balcony cabin? Thanks

I just had a regular Junior Suite in May and my rented scooter fit in the room, but there were other rooms by mine where theirs did not fit in their room.  They would leave it outside their room in the evening and a crew member came and picked them up and took them somewhere to be charged all night and returned them to the hallway outside their cabin in the morning.  And through out the day when they came back to their cabin they just parked them in the hall.  I rented mine from Scootaround.

Edited by suebcoop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As long as it's not a bariatric (extra large) scooter size, it WILL fit through the door of a regular balcony room.  

When people leave it out in the hall, that's because they don't want it taking up floor space in the room, not because it won't fit through the doorway.

You do not need to have an accessible room in order to have a mobility scooter.  You can if you want to, but it is not necessary.  If the room has a coffee table, you can ask the room attendant to remove it to make more floor space.  Or you can move it to a different part of the room (I push it between the couch and the bed to make a larger nightstand).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We recently rented a standard scooter from specialneedsatsea.com (they had the best pricing for our scenario).    It fit thru standard door no problem.    The problem was trying to open the door yourself when on a scooter, best to have someone there to assist with the door. 

if you get an accessible cabin most, if not all ships, have a button you press that will open the door, plus other conveniences in the bathroom, closet and I think I heard they have a lower bed too.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We recently rented a standard scooter from specialneedsatsea.com (they had the best pricing for our scenario).    It fit thru standard door no problem.    The problem was trying to open the door yourself when on a scooter, best to have someone there to assist with the door. 

if you get an accessible cabin most, if not all ships, have a button you press that will open the door, plus other conveniences in the bathroom, closet and I think I heard they have a lower bed too.

I just grabbed the door handle and backed up a little at a time until I had it opened enough to start slowly going forward.  In 2 weeks I have an Accessible Junior Suite on the Allure so I really hope that one has this button you are referring to 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The accessible room beds on the Anthem and Oasis are the same height as regular room beds. I can't comment on the other ships.

12 hours ago, suebcoop said:

through out the day when they came back to their cabin they just parked them in the hall.

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

When people leave it out in the hall, that's because they don't want it taking up floor space in the room, not because it won't fit through the doorway.

Scooters parked in hallways are a safety hazard,  they also make it difficult for other scooters, wheelchairs, etc to get thru. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

If she needs a scooter she has to store it in her cabin, so unless it can dismantle or fold to fit through the narrow doors she needs an accessible cabin.

The poster literally asked if the scooter, can fit inside a standard room.......and scooters can fit through narrow doors.....I have first hand knowledge that they can, and they can go into a standard room, and a person that has a scooter, knows what it means to fold or dismantle a scooter

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Hi, you never said, if your sister has her own scooter?  If she does, than she needs to measure the wheel base width.  Without knowing what the scooter is, brand name, or width, makes it impossible to answer.  If it is scooter, designed to "fold up", which is considered travel scooter, than it is easily put into any cabin, often times with some help from the other person.  Some scooters will also disasemble, into four parts, which than can be done in the hall, and moved into the room, but a little more work.  Travel scooters sometimes will fit into the door, full sized ones, very seldom.  

Very seldom, we use an accessible room, have a fold up travel scooter, and just unfold it in the hallway when needed.  Yes, of course, some people will tell you it takes up room, but anyone disabled, does not care, because like other people, what they bring, is what they need.

43 minutes ago, F355c5 said:

Off subject, but I have a scooter rented for a week on the Oasis and wonder how hard is getting an elevator that isn’t crowned?

I know around just dinner they all seem to be full.

any suggestions?

Thanks 

Elevators and how crowded are driven by peak events, and not an issue to be concerned about (things that you can't control, go with the flow)

42 minutes ago, F355c5 said:

Off subject, but I have a scooter rented for a week on the Oasis and wonder how hard is getting an elevator that isn’t crowned?

any suggestions?

Thanks 

We've had mobility scooters on the Oasis class ships and didn't have problems with the elevators but you should avoid during the high usage times as you mentioned..  The aft elevators go to the WJ so they're a little more crowded during prime eating times.  

6 hours ago, F355c5 said:

Thanks for your reply.

I felt peak time are to be avoided 

I don't know where you are located on the ship so take what I am saying with a grain of salt. We tend to book rooms on the opposite side of the ship from the dining room. And we make sure our table is located on deck five. Then all we need to do is get off the elevator and go through the promenade to the dining room across the way. We bypass all the hassles and congestion with those elevator banks.

12 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Travel scooters sometimes will fit into the door, full sized ones, very seldom.  

This is NOT TRUE. Please stop telling people this false information.

Unless it's an oversized (bariatric) scooter, a full sized / standard scooter most definitely WILL fit through a standard stateroom doorway.

THIS SCOOTER FITS INTO A STANDARD STATEROOM:

Cruise-Scooter-Rentals-Scootaround.thumb.png.e9f1d653a09610974eb420de0e45cd31.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, F355c5 said:

any suggestions?

Thanks 

My DH had a scooter on our Oasis sailing on 8.28 with 6500 +/- passengers it was very difficult to get an elevator and lots of rude people that would jump ahead of us like we were invisible.   

That sailing had lots of rude people, large groups of them.   

If you are sailing at a non peak time it should be better.

16 minutes ago, brillohead said:

This is NOT TRUE. Please stop telling people this false information.

Unless it's an oversized (bariatric) scooter, a full sized / standard scooter most definitely WILL fit through a standard stateroom doorway.

THIS SCOOTER FITS INTO A STANDARD STATEROOM:

Cruise-Scooter-Rentals-Scootaround.thumb.png.e9f1d653a09610974eb420de0e45cd31.png

We rented from specialneedsatsea.com and their standard scooter 21" wide fit just fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Wheelchair, but 22” wide, had to fold to get through, the door.

Does the 22" measurement include the wheels?  Or is it a youth sized wheelchair?  

Most wheelchairs are wider than 22" is why I ask.  That's really small for a standard wheelchair.