Basic Medallion question

Kruzkrazy

DW and I are elite but haven't cruised since before medallions were introduced, so please forgive my ignorance about this: If I use a Medallion, does that mean I have to keep my smartphone with me at all times? DW and I would rather not have to do that. Thanks. -- KK

6 minutes ago, Kruzkrazy said:

DW and I are elite but haven't cruised since before medallions were introduced, so please forgive my ignorance about this: If I use a Medallion, does that mean I have to keep my smartphone with me at all times? DW and I would rather not have to do that. Thanks. -- KK

You can only use the Medallion & not need your phone unless you want to use the app’s functions…some of those can be accessed from your cabin’s TV.

• Like 1

The medallion is a glorified room card. It does the standard functions plus it has a bluetooth interface (and a battery for that) for the long range detection and location on the ship.

The Medallion app runs on a phone and has almost nothing to do with the medallion.  The app lets you order drinks and food to be delivered. We found that function to be very unreliable and it was easier to just flag down a server. The only function I ever used was the locate shipmates function. That function is a bit hit and miss which is why the food and drink delivery is not reliable. Mrs Zen will not use a phone on the ship. She had no issues.

There is one interesting feature where if you put the lanyard inside your shirt against you skin, it generally did not work and you had to pull it out to get a drink. On your wrist it worked better. There is a little bit of humor with the medallion. On one cruise when I approached the room it would show my picture and then refuse to unlock the door. I would just go down to a bar and wait for my wife to find me.

• Like 2

The Medallion and the Medallion app are two different things.  You do not need to have your phone with you for the medallion device to work.  It works by connection to the waypoints on the ship and when you are in proximity to your stateroom door so it unlocks for you.  It is also how you purchase things on the ship just like you did before with your cruise card.  

If you did want to use your phone's MedallionClass app, you could use it to order drinks and food anywhere on the ship and the crew would find you by way of your actual medallion.  If you look on the ceiling anywhere on the ship when you get there, you will see little circular devices mounted to the ceiling that have the "Ocean" circular logo thing on it.  They are everywhere...even in your stateroom.  

23 hours ago, Kruzkrazy said:

The medallion does not require a phone. It can be used exactly the way the old key cards were

While you don't need a phone to use the Medallion it sure makes life a whole lot easier to be ably to order food, drinks and be able to find you partner on the ship. 

We used it a lot on our last cruise and it worked perfectly without any of the problems that others seem to encounter.

• Like 1