Does Medallion know which drinks package we have?

Smokeyham

9 hours ago, disgirl said:

As long as we can find out when we are close to the 15th drink so we know when to stop or be ready to charge them, we are good  haha

You can actually see how many drinks have counted against you for the day by selecting "MedallionPay Portfolio" in the app and then selecting "Packages". At the bottom of the page it will have a counter such as 2/15 or whatever number out of 15 you've purchased that day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, MileHighAko said:

On the iPhone, what I did was turn off the "Private Wi-Fi Address" feature on the MedallionNet wifi network settings. Once I did this, along with turning ON airplane mode, everything in the app functioned properly.

To find this setting, you go into Settings, and select WiFi, then you click the blue "i" with a circle around it on the right-hand side of the screen for the MedallionNet network, and then switch off "Private Wi-Fi Address".  

IMG_0909.thumb.jpeg.fadc0506f4640da25b115ba820a19f80.jpeg

Thanks...... I have noted that and will try that to reduce battery drain.

1 hour ago, MileHighAko said:

You can actually see how many drinks have counted against you for the day by selecting "MedallionPay Portfolio" in the app and then selecting "Packages". At the bottom of the page it will have a counter such as 2/15 or whatever number out of 15 you've purchased that day. 

That's the most useful post on cc all week. Thanks 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Anubi said:

Its All Knowing and Totally Omnipotent, I've decided to call mine Q.  If you aren't a Trekkie, you won't get that.  😉 

You must be younger than me because Q is from the James Bond series and he was always offering an exasperated, "grow up 007".

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

It's also a big deal if someone is using my cabin number to order drinks. Often the system is sooooooooooo slow that a waiter asks for your cabin number instead of waiting for the system to deal with the order. I don't want someone using my cabin number (or various random cabin numbers) to get drinks covered for free. I pay to have the package. If someone else doesn't pay they shouldn't be getting free drinks on my account.

Chances are someone else is not using your cabin number but a waiter entering in a cabin number makes a typo and yours is entered by accident.

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

You must be younger than me because Q is from the James Bond series and he was always offering an exasperated, "grow up 007".

I forgot about Q from Bond.  Another great character. 🙂  But in my defence, I had a huge crush on John De Lancie from when he was on Days of Our Lives.  Now that's dating myself.  ROFL

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

Ok, so we haven’t cruised Princess in like 10 years.  What is this “medallion” you all are referring to?

It replaces your keycard, allows the staff to find you to bring you your drink and food orders wherever you are on the ship. You door unlocks automatically when you approach. And ... so much more. There are lots of discussions about this on the main Princess forum as well as on the Princess web-site.

1 hour ago, jennmaybe said:

Is this medallion mandatory or can we still request a key card?  I am not wearing that ugly thing.

I believe you can request a key card which is fine if you don't wish to use the other features that Medallion offers.  

If you want to use the Medallion, but do not want to wear it, then you can carry it in a pocket or purse and there are a variety of accessories available from Princess, Amazon, etc. that allow you to carry it as a keychain-type set up and other arrangements.

3 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

Is this medallion mandatory or can we still request a key card?  I am not wearing that ugly thing.

Why wear it?  Stick it in your pocket.

Or are you just being abtruse ?

I’m not being abstruse at all, so, I apologize if I came across that way.

I wear a bathing suit or skorts on ships, so I don’t have pockets.  I don’t carry a pocketbook at all on vacations.  

Hubby carries our key card, but I know he will not carry that medallion in his pocket.  

On 9/30/2022 at 12:29 AM, caribill said:

Chances are someone else is not using your cabin number but a waiter entering in a cabin number makes a typo and yours is entered by accident.

The other thing we have heard about is that since the bluetooth part of the medallion has a longer range, it can be detected when you are near the bar and if the crew are not careful, you can get charged.

On 10/1/2022 at 3:34 PM, beg3yrs said:

It replaces your keycard, allows the staff to find you to bring you your drink and food orders wherever you are on the ship. You door unlocks automatically when you approach. And ... so much more. There are lots of discussions about this on the main Princess forum as well as on the Princess web-site.

No, the Medallion does not do so much more. 

There is only one function it has other than what a cruise card had. It allows the ship's computer to locate where you are (actually where the Medallion is) on the ship.

Anything else that is part of "so much more" is done with the Medallion app on your digital device or by using your cabin TV or with screens located around the ship.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 4:08 PM, caribill said:

No, the Medallion does not do so much more. 

There is only one function it has other than what a cruise card had. It allows the ship's computer to locate where you are (actually where the Medallion is) on the ship.

Anything else that is part of "so much more" is done with the Medallion app on your digital device or by using your cabin TV or with screens located around the ship.

Well OK, maybe I overstated it a bit. Hey, it also lets you embark and disembark the ship!

And, according to Princess (implied I know) it's also a wonderful piece of jewelry! YMMV.

The Medallion has great potential but is let down badly by poor conectivity on the ship and by a slow back-end IT system.

I found connectivity patchy throughout the ship.  Waiters had similar problems.  In days gone by a waiter could remember my order or write it down and head off to collect my drinks.  Now he or she can wait an age to get connectivity for their handheld device, scan my Medallion then scroll through to order drinks.

Same if ordering at a bar.  Once served the waiter is scrolling through hundreds of drinks at the till to select the ones I ordered.  

There appear to be two problems - firstly poor wifi connectivity lets everyone down, secondly the back-end seems badly designed for fast service.   Should the staff devices not be on a separate wifi network? I wonder how much testing it went through, particularly volume testing?  Also is there a back up, beyong pen and paper?

My impression is that the App slows down the waiters.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:56 PM, disgirl said:

As long as we can find out when we are close to the 15th drink so we know when to stop or be ready to charge them, we are good  haha

IF I had the plan and IF I was getting that close to the limit, I'd be passed out and in no danger of exceeding it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IF I had the plan and IF I was getting that close to the limit, I'd be passed out and in no danger of exceeding it.

I don't know.  On a sea day, starting with a couple of Bucks Fizz with breakfast, lunch time beers, afternoon cocktails, aperitifs,  wine with dinner and a nightcap or two, 15 is not really a problem.  However,  getting up the next day might be an issue !