No masks required for crew

TrueCruiseaholic

23 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

I certainly felt as though we got nasty looks from masked people on our recent cruises, especially when in lifts.

You probably did from me if you were the one who said "room for one more" when jamming into the full elevator with 12 people in it already as I was exiting.   Has nothing to do with covid, did this before covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

You probably did from me if you were the one who said "room for one more" when jamming into the full elevator with 12 people in it already as I was exiting.   Has nothing to do with covid, did this before covid.

Not me. If lifts are more than half full I wait. Which brings me to another topic to add to the long complaints list, people who are clearly fit and well getting a lift down one or two floors. That’s me done with this thread, off to start another 😂going for the title of the Boards biggest complainer 👍. Some strong competition for that title here 😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Not me. If lifts are more than half full I wait. Which brings me to another topic to add to the long complaints list, people who are clearly fit and well getting a lift down one or two floors. That’s me done with this thread, off to start another 😂going for the title of the Boards biggest complainer 👍. Some strong competition for that title here 😁😁😁

Yeah, I wonder about that, too...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Maybe akin to a security blanket?

That's one of several possible reasons, one of the more common being their use as an 'invisibility cloak'. 

There's plenty of speculation as to what motivates folks to do this.  There's also a dearth of actual study on the reasons people have for wearing masks in situations, especially alone and outdoors, that clearly don't call for them.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 2:01 PM, TrueCruiseaholic said:

Crew still have the option to wear facemasks, but they are no longer required. This has been implemented on all ships.

That's what I heard while the ship in February (the management said starting the next cruise after mine om March 7)... "have not gotten off the ground" (... I mean off the sea).

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:
  On 10/3/2022 at 12:03 AM, canderson said:

We still have folks wearing cloth masks outdoors, walking their dogs, alone, and while riding bikes on bike paths by themselves.  Neurosis?

Maybe akin to a security blanket?

I even saw it during my June-July Europe cruise while swimming in the ocean (not joking).

Edited by kirtihk
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

How do you define “clearly fit”?  I may look clearly fit and can walk fine most times but sometimes my hip bursitis bothers me and I am in terrible pain going up and down stairs.  Don’t judge a book by its cover!  You have no idea what is going on with someone’s health.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

How do you define “clearly fit”?  I may look clearly fit and can walk fine most times but sometimes my hip bursitis bothers me and I am in terrible pain going up and down stairs.  Don’t judge a book by its cover!  You have no idea what is going on with someone’s health.  

I define clearly fit as someone who is clearly fit, the clue is in “clearly”.  I will give you an example, on deck 14 and a lady wondered to the lifts near ocean view, walking freely and clearly comfortable walking. Pressed the button for floor 12 and then walked off as she exited at a good pace, clearly no discomfort and no pain. I am most certainly not being judgmental and assessing people as they have no obvious physical issues they must be fully able, not at all. I actually take issue that you infer I have, in the same way you condemn me for judging a book by its cover you too have judged me.  And part of my original post was tongue in cheek, a poor attempt at humour, to try to lighten up a board that can be so dour. And finally I never claimed to know what’s going on with someone’s health. My goodness, I give in.

It's always interesting to follow these threads on the forums.  We have three cruises planned for March/April 2023 after rescheduling them a number of times over the pandemic years, and are trying to decide whether to reschedule again.  We are still careful, mask in all indoor spaces, distance from others, and have all our boosters.  Another Fall Covid wave and a new variant is upon us.  As our Canadian airlines and now cruises are relaxing, we are wondering whether our costly cruise vacations will be "reduced" experiences for us.  Eating is the biggest problem.  Why pay for a lovely cruise experience and then eat on the buffet outside deck or on our balcony for all meals? Now that pax and crew will not be masking, that's one more thing to consider in our decision.  From this thread, it's evident that many are happy and even thrilled that masks will be gone.  Many people seem fine with getting Covid numerous times and ignoring the possible long term damage.  I don't understand this, but I always try to be respectful and compromise safely with people.  We have friends and family who don't mask, but we only see them outdoors.  On a cruise, we will be forced to be around unmasked, possibly sick people in many indoor spaces.  By the way, we have never taken elevators, unless absolutely necessary, even when it's many stairs to take.  We enjoy the exercise, and I've never enjoyed packed full elevators.  Also, we've come across several coughing, sneezing, unmasked people and I've never expressed disgust at their irresponsibility, but as another poster said, I certainly feel it inside.  So yes, I also agree with the poster who said perhaps this is not the best time for us to go with a cruise holiday.

• Like 4

If you are concerned about getting COVID, I agree that you should probably wait awhile before cruising.

Current variant is quite contagious and new variant is ramping up with unknown results.

Know that your fellow passengers will NOT follow protocols when required. They will wander the ship knowing they are ill, cram in the elevator without masks and, in general, spray their germs everywhere while justifying it with various excuses. Most typically they will say that COVID is 'just a cold'. 

Unfortunately, you may contract COVID while on a cruise and either be confined to your cabin, booted from the ship, or required to quarantine at your own expense in a foreign country. As long as you know the possibilities, and accept this risk, you are fine. 

Even if a cruise line claims to have protocols, or the captain announces stricter protocols---there will be those who will not follow. You have no control over your fellow passengers.

Make sure you are comfortable with contracting COVID at any point and know the potential consequences.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

If you are concerned about getting COVID, I agree that you should probably wait awhile before cruising.

Current variant is quite contagious and new variant is ramping up with unknown results.

Know that your fellow passengers will NOT follow protocols when required. They will wander the ship knowing they are ill, cram in the elevator without masks and, in general, spray their germs everywhere while justifying it with various excuses. Most typically they will say that COVID is 'just a cold'. 

Unfortunately, you may contract COVID while on a cruise and either be confined to your cabin, booted from the ship, or required to quarantine at your own expense in a foreign country. As long as you know the possibilities, and accept this risk, you are fine. 

Even if a cruise line claims to have protocols, or the captain announces stricter protocols---there will be those who will not follow. You have no control over your fellow passengers.

Make sure you are comfortable with contracting COVID at any point and know the potential consequences.

In addition to all this, there will be plenty of people who are completely asymptomatic and don't know they are spreading COVID to others.  It's not just the fact that some are inconsiderate of others.  It's that with this virus, people are contagious before they can even know they have been infected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

In addition to all this, there will be plenty of people who are completely asymptomatic and don't know they are spreading COVID to others.  It's not just the fact that some are inconsiderate of others.  It's that with this virus, people are contagious before they can even know they have been infected.

Agree completely.

This is a really contagious variant and many people are asymptomatic.

So if you cannot risk losing part, or all, of your vacation to quarantine/isolation---don't go.

And if you don't have insurance that would cover, for example, a 10 day stay in a Vancouver hotel--be sure you can afford that from a financial or work standpoint.

We are self-employed and can afford to self-insure and quarantine on our own dime if need be.

But for now---no mass market lines for us at full capacity.

Unfortunately, we cannot count on our fellow cruisers to follow protocols and it is easier to do land vacations for the time being.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, deliver42 said:

My late wife had heart problems, and can only walk so far, but when she got out of her car she looked clearly fit. By the time she got into the store, she cold barely walk. So much for being clearly fit.

I clarified my point, please just leave it there.

4 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I clarified my point, please just leave it there.

Just one more? 

if your a passenger on a cruise, you’re on vacation.

Relax. Have fun. Stop getting wound up. Stop judging people.

I’m talking to you who’s already judging me for using “your” instead of “you’re” above. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Just one more? 

if your a passenger on a cruise, you’re on vacation.

Relax. Have fun. Stop getting wound up. Stop judging people.

I’m talking to you who’s already judging me for using “your” instead of “you’re” above. 

My original point was a bit tongue in cheek, I’ve learnt my lesson and it’s a mistake I will endeavour not to repeat. And people having a dig at me for getting wound up and judging people might also heed your advice to relax, this is only a cruise forum, enjoy it and have fun. My last words on the whole topic now, I am going to disappear and be a reader now. Unless I need advice in future which is likely 😁

Edited by C4HCG
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Common!  Let's be good neighbors (I'm from a city of such).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lexmiller said:
  6 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Haha, you got me there!  😝😜😂 Good one!

We are in a new era! - Judging days are long long gone...

Voyage, Voyage!!!

Edited by kirtihk