What’s the latest you’ve had a GTY assigned?

I’ve sailed for years but never booked a GTY cabin. We sail in 2 weeks on Harmony, and we’re still waiting for cabin assignment. What’s the latest you’ve ever gotten a GTY assignment? 

Yes, I know about the “barcode trick” and I’ve had no luck! 

Edited by lauren28

People have reported as late as embarkation day. Personally, never further out than 2 weeks or so.

I'm currently 23 days out & waiting but I also have one of the sailings where I can't even view my set sail pass due to an ongoing IT issue to use the barcode trick. I know my deck and rough location from cruise docs and luggage tags at least but no cabin number obviously.

25 minutes ago, schmeed said:

What?  Tell me more.

Barcode trick...

If you use an iPhone, add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers should appear under the barcode. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin. If you see GTY, you truly haven't been assigned yet.

If Android, scan the bar code to see the numbers (this also works with iPhones but the wallet is easier).

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, zeroed said:

Same problem here. I’m on Harmony in three weeks and it’s still GTY.

If you can't see your set sail pass, it's the problem I mentioned. If you can see it and just haven't been assigned yet, it's not a problem, it's just part of booking a GTY.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lauren28 said:

I’ve sailed for years but never booked a GTY cabin. We sail in 2 weeks on Harmony, and we’re still waiting for cabin assignment. What’s the latest you’ve ever gotten a GTY assignment? 

Yes, I know about the “barcode trick” and I’ve had no luck! 

@ check in on ship

We didn’t find out until we boarded. We were far up in the bow, one back from farthest in the front. We had no issues until the last night traveling from Progresso to Galveston. I got nauseous from the rise and fall all the way back. I try to book closer to the middle now. Not sure I will book GTY again, but it was a cheap cruise.

Well, once several years ago when our initial destination was damaged by hurricane, we booked a gty cabin the day before sailing (I assume somebody else had to cancel their cruise due to same storm).  We showed up at port with a reservation number and smiles.  We booked too late to do check in so we did not have set sail pass and certainly not a cabin assignment or luggage tag.  Fun and memorable cruise.

More relevant: A couple months ago, we received a balcony gty assignment on Harmony 5 days before sailing.  We booked that one about 30 days out😊

Edited by Starry Eyes

I've been assigned a cabin within one week of sailing. (I've also booked a cruise within one week of sailing, lol.)  Not knowing my guarantee cabin assignment far in advance really did not bother me. I paid to be on the ship so I knew I would be on the ship. I was happy to be sailing so I did not worry about it. I've booked guarantees many times in past years. Some times I got great locations and sometimes I got ok locations. It was always ok with me for the money paid. 

I also book and select my cabins sometimes. There are reasons for both choices. With either choice, I just do my research and then I try not to stress too much. Its vacation. 

Good luck. 

10 hours ago, vegascruiser1 said:

As of today there isn’t a sea pass.

You mean you don't have a cabin assignment or the SetSail pass? If you do have the SetSail pass, have you decoded the barcode to see your likely assignment?

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You mean you don't have a cabin assignment or the SetSail pass? If you do have the SetSail pass, have you decoded the barcode to see your likely assignment?

I am on an Oct 30 cruise.  so far the bar code trick is still showing GTY.  Also my setsail pass with bar code did not show up until 30 days out.

27 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

I am on an Oct 30 cruise.  so far the bar code trick is still showing GTY.  Also my setsail pass with bar code did not show up until 30 days out.

It didn't show up b/c there was an ongoing glitch with many cruises that was just recently fixed. I couldn't access mine until yesterday when I was 21 days out.

There are occasions where you truly haven't been assigned yet and you see GTY instead of your cabin number but more often than not the barcode trick works. You just have to keep checking.

8 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

If folks aren't having luck with bar code tricks etc and are say a week out, would calling to find out be an answer or just a time waste?

Likely a time waste. It truly is possible to not be assigned until embarkation day.

Edited by OCSC Mike

5 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

If folks aren't having luck with bar code tricks etc and are say a week out, would calling to find out be an answer or just a time waste?

Most likely a waste of time.  Customer service doesn't see the cabin # until it's officially assigned.