Is a ship sailing full. If all categories are listed as waitlist?

roberts2005

My cruise Dec. 4 Marina, Miami to Miami is definitely all waitlisted as is the TATL cruise prior Barcelona to Miami bringing marina over from Europe.  How often does a TATL sell out, not very. All waitlist is usually the sign that cruises are about to be cancelled.

16 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruises:

Our cruise from Papeete to Darwin (Oct 21-Nov 10) and the prior and next cruise on Regatta have all cabin classifications "available".

Joel Barry

That cruise has always been a hard sell. Same as the Auckland to Papeete cruises. So no surprises there.

We are currently booked on Marina in May of 2023.  I have been watching the cruise for the past couple of months and almost everyday the availability is different.   Today, everything is waitlisted.   Last week, it was about half of the cabin categories were waitlisted and the other half available.  The day prior, most of the categories were "guaranteed". And it has been changing like that almost daily for the past couple of months. Its kinda like Christmas, i never know what I am going to get each day that I check.

• Haha 2

We board Riviera October 13 - October 24, They are still listing some availability but many categories have gone waitlist over the past few days. Now it looks like just B 1-3 and G available. We sailed on Riviera October 2021 (her first trip back in action) it will be interesting to see what a difference a year makes...

19 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Great conversations! I anxiously await our 10/18 Embarkment for a fully waitlisted cruise to see how many will be aboard. Are in fact 10, 20% or more of the cabins blocked to provide quarantine spaces? Only a couple more weeks to discover the answer.

But how are you going to determine that? Are you going to ask somebody? Are you going to go door to door and take a census? I'm just not sure of any way to actually determine it. We were told our Regatta cruise was completely sold out. Does that mean that every room EXCEPT for the ones they're holding back are sold? I don't know. 

50 minutes ago, ORV said:

But how are you going to determine that? Are you going to ask somebody? Are you going to go door to door and take a census? I'm just not sure of any way to actually determine it. We were told our Regatta cruise was completely sold out. Does that mean that every room EXCEPT for the ones they're holding back are sold? I don't know. 

Ask for actual number of passengers aboard. The OCA usually discloses that at the Repeater Party. We know what ship capacity is.

24 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Ask for actual number of passengers aboard. The OCA usually discloses that at the Repeater Party. We know what ship capacity is.

Duh, I should be able to figure that out. My mind must be elsewhere today. I'll go looking for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwtlion said:

And your source for this fable is?

Actually not a fable (but also not to be confused with a totally booked ship situation).  

Often, when O is canceling a cruise (as happened numerous times during the “pandemic era”), the first step is to “waitlist” every category, which stops the selling of cabins. That’s followed by the email to booked passengers from Carlos Ortega (or froM someone else in Miami) with apologies for the inconvenience along with news of whatever “fare paid” compensation package has been assembled.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dwtlion said:

And your source for this fable is?

As FF has said not a fable, a real source of anxiety for a long time, and we may still be in the last stages of this, so not an unvalid concern for someone who has been around a while. 

• Like 4

The poster said ALL waitlist..... I was simply pointing out that this is not the case. Yes, during covid waitlisting was used to manage/cancel sailings. But there are many cruises that are totally waitlisted prior (some many months) to the sailing date. This designation has also been used for full charters. My point was the misplaced generalization of "all". 

It's pretty amusing that a topic that started out questioning whether any cabins are still saved for quarantine purposes on Oceania ships has morphed into angst about the significance of "waitlist."

Specifically, the late year Marina cruises have been mentioned and my guess is that "waitlist" probably means that the cruises likely are fully booked.  As many future cruise credits that were issued for Covid cancelled cruises need to be used by the end of 2022, it wouldn't be surprising if those credits are being used on the November and December cruises - that's what I and probably lots of others are doing.  I'm sure that Oceania wants to get the FCC's off their books and start to get new revenue for cruises.  As the Marina is used for Oceania's South America cruises, I would be surprised if any were cancelled as except for the limited cruises last winter there has been virtually no season in that area for years.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 5:35 PM, susiesan said:

YoPhilly: are you on the roll call? You can find out some info there about how to get in touch with me.

There is very little activity though, just very few of us planning to do anything together.

Susie, I've seen your posts there.  We've been to the Caribbean so many times - and to virtually every island - that we don't do shore excursions anymore.  We just do our own thing.

It is the end of 2022 and most of the COVID cancelled FCC expires.  People are cruising again so why would not the ships be full.  The point of reserving cabins for quarantine is irrelevant as this has been always a small percentage. 

I do not think with NCL's new rules and their current financial state that they are limiting numbers.

That is what we are doing -- last cruise of the year on O using 15K of free bonus FCC before it expires.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

It is the end of 2022 and most of the COVID cancelled FCC expires.  People are cruising again so why would not the ships be full.  The point of reserving cabins for quarantine is irrelevant as this has been always a small percentage. 

Same here, I had $500 credit towards the price of the cruise that had to be used before the end of 2022. I wasn't very excited to go to the Caribbean again as I was just there a year ag but I was not going to let O keep $500 of money for nothing in return. This is the only reason I am cruising in December. I have another O cruise booked for Sept. 2023 but I was not allowed to use the $500 towards payment for that cruise.

Let me see, so you booked a Caribbean cruise that you don’t really want to take, and spent upwards of $10k plus so you could use $500 of expiring FCC credits, Oceania funny money. 
At least you will pick up another cruise credit towards your Loyalty Program level enroute to your Free Cruise. 

Just giving you a hard time because we too decided to join some friends on a Caribbean cruise in April as they were burning hundreds and thousands of FCC credits. Oceania got what they wanted for a cheap credit, more people sailing. 

Most importantly, have a great time.
Mauibabes

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Let me see, so you booked a Caribbean cruise that you don’t really want to take, and spent upwards of $10k plus so you could use $500 of expiring FCC credits, Oceania funny money. 
At least you will pick up another cruise credit towards your Loyalty Program level enroute to your Free Cruise. 

Just giving you a hard time because we too decided to join some friends on a Caribbean cruise in April as they were burning hundreds and thousands of FCC credits. Oceania got what they wanted for a cheap credit, more people sailing. 

Most importantly, have a great time.
Mauibabes

Here’s my point of view.

There’re different reasons why someone is booking their cruise. We’re also “burning” just $500 of FCC from the cruise that we had canceled during the COVID and before Oceania themselves eventually canceled that sailing. It’s going to be the Caribbean cruise in November. As you might suspect, it wouldn’t be our first choice otherwise, but this doesn’t mean that we aren’t going to enjoy it. Being in the Caribbean again is better than just staying at home. Additionally, this cruise was deeply disconnected by Oceania at the first place, so we’ll get to use our $500 FCC and it won’t make a huge dent in our pockets anyway. And you’re right, it’s an additional loyalty credit at the same time - we’re going to be Gold with Oceania after a couple more cruises.

Sure, we’ll have a great time.