Starlink on Beyond, a disappointment.

Dk-cruiser

1 hour ago, goodoldan said:

Not sure about the other ships, but the Celebrity Edge-class ships have a WiFi access point in EVERY cabin. A poorly designed or overloaded WiFi design could cause more problems than the satellite connection... and at least on the Edge that doesn't seem to be a problem. A recent trip on the Edge (late November 2022)... it's first with Starlink active.. showed typical speed tests (with the premium package) of about 4 MBPS down and 2 MBPS up from my cabin, and about a 60 mSec (idle) latency. That's about comparable to my 4G cellular connection at home. I conducted several long (like 1 hour) phone calls using Google Voice over the link, and each one was fine, with no drop-outs, etc. Also watched some streaming HD video (recorded on my Xfinity cable box at home) and it was perfect.

Going out on the Constellation in a couple of weeks... no telling if they'll have Starlink by then or not.

It was the Millenium Class I had in mind as not having an upgraded backend. Solstice Class had a better backend so it will be interesting to see how Starlink does on those two classes of ship, Millennium Class and Solstice Class. I was getting 4 MBPS without Starlink on Reflection so Starlink on Edge does not seem like an improvement. 

When I had 4G cell service I was getting 15 to 20 MBPS.  Hard to imagine 4 MBPS at home. Your service is poor. That sounds like 3G speeds. I have 5G cell now, about the slowest 5G service not nhe plus,  and I get 40-50 MBPS. Starlink has a long way to go. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I now think its all about purchased bandwidth.

On Oasis Saturday was Coco Cay day.  We went out  before 9 and by 11 with 92 degree heat I tossed in the  towel so to speak,.

Poor service on Coco Cay, but when I got back to the cabin I went to laptop and no problems. No "timed out" warnings from the websites I frequent including the server I used for back ups not being able to download e mails to Thunderbird, the e mail software I use on PCS.

IN fact, the service was great. I downloaded several hundred e mails including the junk, within a few minues.

By 4 PM is was  its usual stuff, crappy.  Coincident to most passengers being back on board.

The only conclusion is, I think,  its Royals policy to shortchange the customers on bandwidth. Remmember this past week was a holiday and whle Oasis can serve normally with double occupancy 4700, we had 6500 on this cruise, thanst with 1 or 2 kids in a cabin.

RCL in my estimation, could be all wrong, bought bandwith for 4000. Hence teh problem. Its not like they did not know 6500 on board.

X serves lets say an older generation like myself. More spare time down time, we do not spend 3 hours in slides going from 17th deck to 8th deck  and the water park as my grandkids did. On X we spend quiet time, whether napping, reading, listening to music (subdued music) or with old or new friends at a bar or just sitting around,, We have more time to check e mail or browse.

Also have the drain on the internet system for using the app as more and more people just jump on and off to see, Whats cooking?

And with more kids on during that week,, using phones and ipads or other tablets, there is disproportionately more internet usage to the "extras".

Between CC use (as we see here) as well as other social media usage, and a ton of texting, that puts extra strain on internet capacity , as does facetiming and as many send pictures to friends of "whats happening".

whether we agree or not whether it should be happening or not, its happening. Cruise line  management should know it.

Cruise lines have to figure that into the business plan.

51 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It was the Millenium Class I had in mind as not having an upgraded backend. Solstice Class had a better backend so it will be interesting to see how Starlink does on those two classes of ship, Millennium Class and Solstice Class. I was getting 4 MBPS without Starlink on Reflection so Starlink on Edge does not seem like an improvement. 

When I had 4G cell service I was getting 15 to 20 MBPS.  Hard to imagine 4 MBPS at home. Your service is poor. That sounds like 3G speeds. I have 5G cell now, about the slowest 5G service not nhe plus,  and I get 40-50 MBPS. Starlink has a long way to go. 

I think its more RCL group not starlink. They can cap usage by running it slow vai bandwidth. We cut out using it as we do not want to waste time on a ship

Refelction was the first of the S class to get Xcelerate when it was buit in 2012.

The others got it during the revolutionized move. Eclipse got it last in 2021.

Think of the backend the other person was talking about as if its your home. When I built this home in 2002 I had the latest and greatest 5e wiring to each room. Its at v. 8 or 9 now, -not easy to change wiring. the modem /router should be upgraded every 3 years.

The Mesh  systems  came into play 3-4 years ago, time to upgrade those expensive puppies.

i get 837 mbps using wired, and 199 wireless.

with all the household items, Security Cameras, HVAC using wireless, lights on and off using wireless, refridgerators, PCs and phones and tables and a big family unit, a lot of bandwidth is utilized.

I am next on the Beyond in April May, Does the  access point in cabin have a slot for the ethernet cable. I might run a hotspot off windows 11. the problem being is you really can only use it in cabin that way.

I bet we all spend the majority of our time outside the cabin. With internet for 2 devices you have to switch frequently

Also with fast speed andbandwith, I can use a VPN. Remember ther is no security for  the ships guest internet.

Edited by HMR74

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

It’s a ship, I’m not sure what folks expect.  Big deal if you can’t check email every hour.

I hear you.  However, some people, like myself, can't get away from work and what a better way than to catch up on some is while lying in a deck chair getting some sun.  

Fast Internet is a must for me.  I went with Premium for my upcoming cruise and fortunately, my ship is being retrofitted with Starlink prior to the sailing.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

i get 837 mbps using wired, and 199 wireless.

I am wired with ethernet putt in the walls by the developer, done about 2010,  and get 940 wired and 560 wireless. I must have better mesh routers than you. I bought them a year ago when I moved here. They are WiFi  6. If you upgrade you proably will get better speed.  I think the wired speed depends more on my provider than my cables. I have fiber service. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

I am wired with ethernet, done about 2010,  and get 940 wired and 560 wireless. I must have better mesh routers than you. I bought them a year ago when I moved here. They are WiFi  6. I think the wired speed depends more on my provider than my cables. I have fiber service. 

absolutely--my system is 3 years old and time to upgrade, however, I see no need other than security improvement.

Optimum system incldeds buying good intenet, the lead into house has to be good from provider, in house equipment has to be good enough and the devices need as you say things like wifi 6 or BT 5.2 I think which is the latest.

I use wireless to print from 1 of 3 printers we have.

I will continue to use the TP-link WR902 AC in cabin or get the upgraded one which means for us cruisers, we add a layer of security which the ships "naked", or open  internet  does not provide. Nothing is perfect , but like 2 guys being chased in the  woods by a bear, you just want to be a little faster and better than the other guy.

3 hours ago, goodoldan said:

Not sure about the other ships, but the Celebrity Edge-class ships have a WiFi access point in EVERY cabin.

Individual access points are not the bottlenecks.  It's Starlink's connection with the ship that is overloaded when you have 4.000 souls trying to stream at the same time.  Celebrity charges 2x what RCL does and that affects how many sign up for the service.

12 minutes ago, intr3pid said:

Individual access points are not the bottlenecks.  It's Starlink's connection with the ship that is overloaded when you have 4.000 souls trying to stream at the same time.  Celebrity charges 2x what RCL does and that affects how many sign up for the service.

a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

It’s a ship, I’m not sure what folks expect.

Useable internet

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Big deal if you can’t check email every hour.

It can be for:

The crews wellbeing, they only have very limited time off

When anyone on the ship, pax or crew, encounters an emergency

Passengers who choose not to burn all their vacation days and work a little while on the ship

Celebrity Cruise Lines, like it or not, the youngins DEMAND the internet.

Big kudos to RCG for making Starlink happen, hopefully they iron out all the kinks and it continually improves

19 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

It’s a ship, I’m not sure what folks expect.  Big deal if you can’t check email every hour.

I planned my vacation in 2020.  A couple of months ago a major project launch was scheduled during my vacation.   My job requires 24/7 availability for emergencies, very long hours, with a lot of moving parts.  Even without the project launch.  I knew this was the expectation when I accepted the job offer 6 years ago.  I do it without complaints (usually).  It doesn't matter where in the world I am, I need to answer that phone when it rings.  No one will die if I don't answer, but my team members' lives are impacted and I care too much about them to just ignore them for a week.

I'm not checking my email. But I do need to check texting and answer calls.  My expectation when I go somewhere is that if a service is promised to me (and paid for) I will be able to utilize that service.    Celebrity Beyond did provide me a solid ability to work as needed randomly. 

I am happy for you if you DON'T need to check email.  For me, my job isn't conducive to me just disappearing for a week.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mtempelaar said:

I planned my vacation in 2020.  A couple of months ago a major project launch was scheduled during my vacation.   My job requires 24/7 availability for emergencies, very long hours, with a lot of moving parts.  Even without the project launch.  I knew this was the expectation when I accepted the job offer 6 years ago.  I do it without complaints (usually).  It doesn't matter where in the world I am, I need to answer that phone when it rings.  No one will die if I don't answer, but my team members' lives are impacted and I care too much about them to just ignore them for a week.

I'm not checking my email. But I do need to check texting and answer calls.  My expectation when I go somewhere is that if a service is promised to me (and paid for) I will be able to utilize that service.    Celebrity Beyond did provide me a solid ability to work as needed randomly. 

I am happy for you if you DON'T need to check email.  For me, my job isn't conducive to me just disappearing for a week.

I hope you are fairly compensated for your extra time you put in.

I worked for an international company that did way over$1,000,000,000 in sales back in the late 1990s. I worked in the home base and my job allowed me to interface with the President and CEO. Twice a year he brought in the key players from the other locations for a three day meeting, which I got to attend. Every single time he wrapped it up by talking about work/life balance and mental sanity. He said when you are off, you have to be completely off, no contact at all. Nobody is indispensable, not even me. Surround yourself with the right people, train them and let them do their job. He had been CEO for 12 years, at the time and had never received a phone call, or any other communication, on any vacation time off. It can be done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I worked for an international company that did way over$1,000,000,000 in sales back in the late 1990s. I worked in the home base and my job allowed me to interface with the President and CEO. Twice a year he brought in the key players from the other locations for a three day meeting, which I got to attend. Every single time he wrapped it up by talking about work/life balance and mental sanity. He said when you are off, you have to be completely off, no contact at all. Nobody is indispensable, not even me. Surround yourself with the right people, train them and let them do their job. He had been CEO for 12 years, at the time and had never received a phone call, or any other communication, on any vacation time off. It can be done.

Maybe in 1990s but not now.  

• Like 2

We are currently aboard the Beyond, purchased the premium package and at least so far the internet is fantastic. Considering it's a SEA DAY with a full passenger load, it still doesn't seem to be impacting the speed.  Bottom line -- it's the very best internet we've found on any ship.  

Just did a speed test and download is 24.96 mbps and upload is 4.76 mbps.

Now, I just hope I didn't jinx the overall performance!!

Edited by gardengalaz
Added speed test results.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

We are currently aboard the Beyond, purchased the premium package and at least so far the internet is fantastic. Considering it's a SEA DAY with a full passenger load, it still doesn't seem to be impacting the speed.  Bottom line -- it's the very best internet we've found on any ship.  

Now, I just hope I didn't jinx the overall performance!!

That's great.  Is it possible for you to run a speed test?

8 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

You are right on the mark!!  I let my Courts and Judges know that I am unavailable from X date to Y date.  Nobody is indispensable and clients can hire someone else. And judges can schedule when I get home.   More importantly, medical professionals will advise that burnout is a real problem when you don't leave work behind for a brief period.  I vacation like your CEO...smart individual.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:40 PM, SusieV said:

Just got off Solstice.  I could not access Cruise Critic on the basic internet. Anything on the web was too slow. I could use Facebook and facebook messenger and that's about it. Celebrity is definitely doing the throttling because if you used a VPN, more of the web functioned correctly.

My son had a device with premium internet that we upgraded so he could use discord and play games with his friends (it's his vacation too), and that moved better but it definitely still brought complaints from him lol.

You were on the old internet on Solstice.  They don't have their Starlink live just yet.  

I was on the Equinox at the end of September and the cruise was sailing at near capacity on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary.  I don't know what system the Equinox had but the internet was great.  I was in Covid isolation and I never had a problem with the wifi.  I was even able to stream some football games and I was never able to do that on previous crises.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 5:29 PM, canderson said:

He's promised about 12X the number of birds currently in the constellation, and being in low Earth orbit, each covers a fairly small geographic area.  DOES take a while to deliver on 30,000 of them.  Launching 30,000 of anything into low earth orbit isn't a trivial exercise, and they're on schedule.  About 2,500 of them as of last week.  Until there are enough to provide contiguous geographic coverage, good service can't be available at all times/places.

Lots of space junk to interfere with other space launches. I think collisions are going to be inevitable.

26 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

It's 10PM on Day 3 here aboard the Beyond and the current download speed is 41.53 mbps and upload is 6.84 mbps.  Truly, no issues with the internet at all (at least SO FAR, LOL!!)

Thank you. Those are impressive speeds. 

10 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

You are right on the mark!!  I let my Courts and Judges know that I am unavailable from X date to Y date.  Nobody is indispensable and clients can hire someone else. And judges can schedule when I get home.   More importantly, medical professionals will advise that burnout is a real problem when you don't leave work behind for a brief period.  I vacation like your CEO...smart individual.

Ask those medical professionals about 12 to 16 hour shifts let alone residents hours and oncalls.  Everyone doesn't have the luxury you have to just shut off.  And good for you.  But you can't compare your work to others.  Some of our jobs don't work like that.  We have to be available.  I know you don't understand this and believe me be glad you dont.  Yet we still have great times on our cruises.  It's just how it is until my husband will retire in a few years.

Good Morning from St. Maarten ... Day 4 aboard the Beyond!  At present, we are docked in St. Maarten and it's about 10AM.  Just ran a speed test ... download 82.37 mbps and upload is 33.53 mbps!!!  I don't know if my numbers are that good at HOME!   So, seems like the world of internet at sea is greatly improved with StarLink.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

Good Morning from St. Maarten ... Day 4 aboard the Beyond!  At present, we are docked in St. Maarten and it's about 10AM.  Just ran a speed test ... download 82.37 mbps and upload is 33.53 mbps!!!  I don't know if my numbers are that good at HOME!   So, seems like the world of internet at sea is greatly improved with StarLink.

Those are really good numbers. I would say Starlink considerably improved the Internet experience.

Thanks for sharing that.