premium water on HAL drink plans

shipshape sam

Have listen to a few bloggers and would like to get some clarification on bottled water and drink packages.

1) One blogger mention that canned water was included, but not (I am guessing here) plastic water bottles?

2) That water and speciality coffees and teas count towards your 15 / day count limit, but for approx. $10/day more, you can upgrade to a better plan with a higher drink limit and that non-alcoholic drinks are not counted towards a daily limit?

3)That you can only get one drink at a time, which makes sense in one way, but I have on other lines take both of our ID cards  showing we have the drink plan and gotten 2 drinks. Does that work on HAL?

4) Back on the water, is there a specific brand?  We had Evian water with our drink package.

Thanks for any/all helpful responses! 🙂

1- no plastic bottles on board.  Only cans and glass.                                                       2-?                                                                      3- they will give you one for each card presented. Now that the bartenders know who I am, I can get two diet cokes or beers at the same time. 

Based on our cruise on NS 2 week ago:

1) Yes the larger bottles are NOT included in any drinks package (unless they run out of the small Open Water bottles and then all bets are off, we hefted back to the cabin quite a few glass liters when they ran out of Open Water on day 3 of 8 this last cruise)

2) Yes, we upgraded at $10 per adult per day +18% grats and had unlimited non-alcoholic bevs + 15 alcoholic drinks. Even with the hassle, it was still worth it to us and we came out ahead $$ wise. 

3) Okay, 1 drink at a time is the "rule" but the number of times we ordered a double shot of High West Rendezvous Rye neat at the bartenders suggestion tells me otherwise. For liquor shots (neat, on the rocks, etc) doubles are not unusual. I think if you wanted to buy 3 Buds via the bev pkg at once, they would balk. 

4) The wee still bottles are Open Water. The larger still are Acqua Panna. For bubble water, Perrier for small (included in bev pkg) and S. Pellegrino for larger bottles (again not included unless they run out of Perrier.. and then all bets are off, had that happen in Tamarind this last cruise, dh and I shared the larger of S. Pellegrino)

Edited by fatcat04
  • Thanks 1

The new rules are 15 drinks (alcoholic and non) per day with SBP and EBP. Look it up, it's true. So no sense buying the Elite package if that is your motivation. You can buy $50/100/250 cards to buy your non-alcoholic beverages with if you really think you're going to max out on the plan.

• Like 2

On some ships (Rotterdam/Oosterdam to be specific) they did give 2 cans of water per card, (or a mix of water and soda up to 4 cans for our two cards) even when both cards were presented by one person.  I presume that they still counted as 2 drinks off each card.  We never got near to maxing out. 

Water and coffee drinker here.  You can request Pellegrino or Perrier and the bottle size depends on what is available in the location.  The still water comes in a can and not particularly good so I just use my sports bottle. Whether you can get 2 at a time depends on the bartender/waitstaff.  They will let you know when you order. I agree that buying the extra card is a better solution. Your coffee beverages can be discounted according to your Mariner status. 

The Elite package has a daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages with a menu price of $15 or less. Unlimited non-alcoholic beverage.

The Signature package has a daily limit of 15 alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks with a menu price of $11 or less.

The Quench Beverage Package is limited to 15 non-alcoholic drinks daily.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.html

Edited by fatcat04

Another example of consistent inconsistency... when you look at the details on the purchase page (7 Day Elite Signature Beverage Package | Beverages | Holland America Line) you see the following (bold, underline my emphasis):

Our premium, Elite Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, non-alcoholic beverages, sodas, bottled water (sparkling or still, 400ml or less) & coffee. Only on the ms Koningsdam & ms Nieuw Statendam, the package includes Freestyle Coca-Cola which provides 100+ refreshing Coca-Cola flavors to choose from. Includes any beverage priced at $15.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day).

I'm perfectly confident I won't go over 15 alcoholic beverages a day, but not if I included non-alcoholic. Significantly reduces the enjoyment of the cruise, since in the back of my mind I have to *think* about each non-alcoholic purchase... and I don't want to have to *think* on my vacation.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The new rules are 15 drinks (alcoholic and non) per day with SBP and EBP. Look it up, it's true. So no sense buying the Elite package if that is your motivation. You can buy $50/100/250 cards to buy your non-alcoholic beverages with if you really think you're going to max out on the plan.

Good point about paying for non alcoholic drinks if that is a very real potential.  Not for me.  I am more concerned with getting the 'top shelf' vodka's, etc.  I am thinking I will have to upgrade and have now read, you must do this onboard  only and prior to your first drink!

I have seen a price list and it is a little confusing.  I do not see martini's listed by their individual names, (like Blue lagoon  or Appletini, etc- making it up for example).  It shows just a brand of vodka.  We like the martini's and would prefer with Grey Goose/Kettle One as an example.  Also saw a smoked drink being poured from a flask to a glass and thinking that would be interesting to try.

So... would it make sense to upgrade to the Elite.  For sure do not want to get into situation where I have a drink package and I am having to buy a full price a drink priced above $11 if I want a specific vodka or drink above $11..

2 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

We like the martini's and would prefer with Grey Goose/Kettle One as an example.  Also saw a smoked drink being poured from a flask to a glass and thinking that would be interesting to try.

So... would it make sense to upgrade to the Elite.  For sure do not want to get into situation where I have a drink package and I am having to buy a full price a drink priced above $11 if I want a specific vodka or drink above $11..

One way to look at the upgrade is -- one drink (per day) over the $11 mark, pays for the difference. 

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

One way to look at the upgrade is -- one drink (per day) over the $11 mark, pays for the difference. 

Agree with that   My  problem Is, while I do like wine, I’m kinda addicted to red eyes (americanos with two extra shots of espresso)   On another line, the unlimited nonalcoholic didn’t cause me concern   Now I wonder if each espresso shot counts as a single drink   I’m seriously thinking about the extra beverage card for a 14 day   😵💫😵💫

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

I have seen a price list and it is a little confusing.  I do not see martini's listed by their individual names, (like Blue lagoon  or Appletini, etc- making it up for example).  It shows just a brand of vodka.  We like the martini's and would prefer with Grey Goose/Kettle One as an example.  Also saw a smoked drink being poured from a flask to a glass and thinking that would be interesting to try.

I can't speak for the smoked drink you mentioned but all the regular drinks are priced based on the spirit price only.  Whatever the drink's name is, its price is based on the spirit price.

1 hour ago, AFNavigator said:

I can't speak for the smoked drink you mentioned but all the regular drinks are priced based on the spirit price only.  Whatever the drink's name is, its price is based on the spirit price.

I was thinking that may be the case.  Now need to go recheck the drink package lists