Oceanview Cafe

aml3679

28 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

Is it true that Carnival used paper plates and plastic forks and spoons in their buffet areas?

Is this a serious question? Plates and bowls are plastic. Silverware is rolled in cloth napkins.

60f08fe7bb790e0018207d37.jpeg.88d6e2e367129380f878794b758ea4f1.jpeg

Oh, but Guys Burgers are served on a metal plate with a paper liner. They're delicious!

Funderstruck-Nacho-Burger-scaled.thumb.jpg.0406d910b012f3432c7304a066b272e0.jpg

Edited by cyntil8ing
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

My wife was in quarantine on the Apex , I was in another cabin and could only eat in my cabin

Those chooses and the stir fry was about the only hot food you could get in your cabin

Since we were not in the suite , the food from room service took over 2 hours to get and was frozen 

Quarantine meals are currently a lot better on the Equinox.  You could order whatever you wanted from the dining room menu.  Room service would call you ahead of time and ask for your order and when you wanted it delivered.  They were usually on time and the temperature was fine.  My wife enjoyed her lobster tails on the balcony.

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I just go there for cheese and crackers to enjoy on balcony 

We use to go for cheese and crackers also but last month on Summit the cheese was limited to American, Cheddar, Swish and Provolone.    Luckily in Retreat Lounge they had the regular selection including soft cheeses and Blue

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We use to go for cheese and crackers also but last month on Summit the cheese was limited to American, Cheddar, Swish and Provolone.    Luckily in Retreat Lounge they had the regular selection including soft cheeses and Blue

@Jim_Iainthe cheeses on this past January Edge cruise were wonderful  had good quality blue, nice Dutch cheese and a French boursin soft cheese. Speaking of Dutch are you on the 15 night Western Europe TA? I just booked this with my sister on Friday.  I may have some questions for you. 

Edited by drakes2
Spelling

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

@Jim_Iainthe cheeses on this past January Edge cruise were wonderful  had good quality blue, nice Dutch cheese and a French boursin soft cheese. Speaking of Dutch are you on the 15 night Western Europe TA? I just booked this with my sister on Friday.  I may have some questions for you. 

That is what we are accustomed to.   Often we just have cheese and crusty french for lunch.  Not sure if it was a supply issue on Summit.   I've been reading the same on other ships.  When on Silhouette TA in March-April there was a wonderful selection.

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I just go there for cheese and crackers to enjoy on balcony 

That's why I was so disappointed they had only the same 4 cheeses every day and maybe 1-2 sliced cold meats. No fancy cheeses like they used to, just monterey jack, edam, swiss, and gouda.

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is what we are accustomed to.   Often we just have cheese and crusty french for lunch.  Not sure if it was a supply issue on Summit.   I've been reading the same on other ships.  When on Silhouette TA in March-April there was a wonderful selection.

I remember when we could get sushi at OV around 5pm 

Our group would get a couple of plates of snack and head up to Sunset Bar for HH 

49 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Our group would get a couple of plates of snack and head up to Sunset Bar for HH 

This was always a part of our routine too!

Edited by Team Stag

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I also read recently that recently have also discontinued afternoon tea in OVC with the finger sandwiches,  scones and sweets.     I however can not personally confirm as we went to Retreat instead.

Can confirm this was not available on Solstice last month. Also disappointed.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I also read recently that recently have also discontinued afternoon tea in OVC with the finger sandwiches,  scones and sweets.     I however can not personally confirm as we went to Retreat instead.

I asked about it on my recent Equinox sailing and they are no longer offering it.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:48 AM, Saturngrl said:

The Oceanview Cafe' on Celebrity serves MUCH better food than Carnival!  I especially enjoy the different types of bacon offered at breakfast:  American, Canadian and English!  I LOVE English bacon!  The also offer breakfast choices of different nationalities.  You will be surprised and delighted with such choices as baked beans, blood pudding, Indian foods, Asian foods and more. 

In addition, the lunches and dinners are often "themed" for different nationalities each day of the cruise.  On our Thanksgiving cruise last year, the Oceanview had the best carved-to-order turkey I have ever tasted.  Wow, just wow!   

Enjoy the Silhouette, she's a great ship! 

I so agree with your comments regarding Ocean View's offering!!  We really enjoy both the various nationalities'  breakfasts and lunches!  And what a great way to be introduced to foods we might otherwise enjoy at home!!

On 10/11/2022 at 10:04 AM, CruiseMrB said:

Carnival is kind of known for not having the best buffet

My first cruise was on Carnival Fantasy in 1992. This was the age of the midnight buffet complete with ice sculptures and bread basket carvings. I remember crab legs, peal n eat shrimp, gourmet cheeses, and desserts of all kinds. It was a smorgasbord of veritable goodness the likes I’ve never seen on any cruise ship or mainstream cruise line since. For a while there, Carnival had it going on!

8 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Yes, I used to enjoy this too. They discontinued it when they turned "Bistro on Five" into "Sushi on Five". Why give free sushi when you can charge for it?😁

On 10/11/2022 at 8:27 AM, aml3679 said:

We are usually loyal to Celebrity, But decided  to take a cheap cruise for our 37th wedding anniversary on carnival. While we enjoyed ourselves , the food was terrible in their Buffet area.

The choices were very limited. The food was also very bland and cold. We did eat in their steakhouse and enjoyed our meal very much, but it was nothing compared to a Murano.

We are very much looking forward to our celebration cruise next November on the Silhouette and all of the wonderful food choices.

Which Carnival ship were you on?  My daughter and I took a last-minute cruise on the Elation, one Carnival's oldest ships, in May, and the buffet had a shockingly sparce selection  compared to that on any other Carnival ship we had previously sailed. I'm not exaggerating when I say my high school cafeteria had a better selection.  If that had been our first Carnival cruise,  I would have been hard-pressed to take another one.