So, What Is The Final Word...

Ret MP

The paper is becoming a thing of the past.  Yes, they do print them, and you can get them at the desk, but it is becoming a thing of the past.  Like all items that end up wasted, all the paper printed and tossed, it is being reduced.  Same with plastic straws, plastic water etc.  It is not just the cruise line.

My opinion is I always liked the paper and I wish we got coupons for the drink packages because it always get messed up when you have a drink package also.  But it will not happen.  One part of me supports it, and another part dislikes it. On a sea day, I really don't want my phone or need it, but a paper is nice.

16 hours ago, mom2miracles said:

We have only stayed in Suites, and we have gotten it every night we have sailed. We have heard that only guests in Suites get them every night, others do not. With that said, apparently you can ask your room steward to have them and they will leave one in your room every evening. 

Wrong,  we were on the Adventure recently and a compass was on our bed every evening, never asked for it

2 hours ago, rjrpar said:

Wrong,  we were on the Adventure recently and a compass was on our bed every evening, never asked for it

This makes me wonder if the older ships don't have the ability (or procedures in place) to create and publish the PDF version.  Like I said, Voyager had paper and no mention of scanning anything for a PDF.

3 hours ago, rjrpar said:

Not wrong, but thanks. It's quite possible that some ships do hand them out to everyone, but many ships do not anymore - as shown by posters in this thread alone. Maybe word your reply a little differently next time instead of coming across so harshly.

Edited by mom2miracles

We were on Allure Sept 25th and requested the Compass when our cabin steward knocked to introduce herself. She brought one that day and everyday. I'm fine with using the app for many things, but still prefer the paper compass, so I mark interesting activities with a highlighter.

Barb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The current policy seems to be suites only unless requested.  We have had no problem getting them since we always ask.  It is nice that they added the PDF version, but I still prefer paper.  On our last couple trips, we were having an issue with connecting to the app in some parts of the ship.  I am sure the paper version will be around a while.

In conclusion (my favorite words when attending a mandatory briefing or speech (when I was still beholding to a pay check)):  It's still up in the air.  Some ships put them out each night in cabins, regardless of status, some put then in suites only, and some don't put them out at all unless you ask for them, and some ships put them out depending on the cruise. 

But, what I got out of this little exercise is that they are still being printed and available in one way or the other.

Does anybody think that it may be up to the Cruise Director and his/her budget?  

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Where is the PDF link available?  I am not seeing it in the app. I am getting a paper copy on Oasis. The cabin steward started leaving it a few days ago. 

I don't think you can actually see the Compass before your cruise date and only after embarkation.  The Compass is ship and sailing unique and they like to have it as up to date as possible, hence, printed every day of the cruise, for the next day only.  

I don't know how it works while you are on the ship.  Once I go through the boarding process and the life vest process, I put the phone away and rely on the printed Compass.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I don't think you can actually see the Compass before your cruise date and only after embarkation.  The Compass is ship and sailing unique and they like to have it as up to date as possible, hence, printed every day of the cruise, for the next day only.  

I don't know how it works while you are on the ship.  Once I go through the boarding process and the life vest process, I put the phone away and rely on the printed Compass.

I know you can’t see it before your cruise. I am on a cruise now and can not see a PDF link. I was asking anyone who has actually seen the link where it is located. 

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I know you can’t see it before your cruise. I am on a cruise now and can not see a PDF link. I was asking anyone who has actually seen the link where it is located. 

Well, excuse the @#*+ out of me.  If I was on the ship and I had a question like that, I'd ask my steward, Genie, Concierge, Voom Desk, Guest Relations Desk, or just about anybody on the ship with their nose in their phone.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For the pdf there was a QR code in the cabin by the desk.  Tried it a couple but was too small to read on my phone.  No interest in using it. I think this onnthe Jewel.  Don't recall if on the Liberty in late August.   Like paper

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well, excuse the @#*+ out of me.  If I was on the ship and I had a question like that, I'd ask my steward, Genie, Concierge, Voom Desk, Guest Relations Desk, or just about anybody on the ship with their nose in their phone.  

Well, considering I am in isolation, I don’t happen to have any of those people hanging out with me. I am only on my phone because I am in my cabin. 

6 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

For the pdf there was a QR code in the cabin by the desk.  Tried it a couple but was too small to read on my phone.  No interest in using it. I think this onnthe Jewel.  Don't recall if on the Liberty in late August.   Like paper

Thanks, I will look through the stuff we have and see if we buried it. 

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Well, considering I am in isolation, I don’t happen to have any of those people hanging out with me. I am only on my phone because I am in my cabin. 

And the plot thickens.  None the less, sorry you are in isolation and hope you get better soon.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

I found the QR code on the compass channel on the tv. Didn’t find it on the desk but got a 19 page document from the tv. 

On 10/13/2022 at 11:06 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

I want that paper copy, it's my bathroom reading material.

You know you were thinking it too. 

Are you sure you're not from Stouffville? 

TMI

😁

On 10/14/2022 at 5:04 AM, jean87510 said:

You could carry both the camera and the phone at the same time.  Pockets are helpful.

Not possible….phone stays home.  I’m on vacation. 

Edited by bucfan2

17 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Not possible….phone stays home.  I’m on vacation. 

Just curious what you do if you have an issue when travelling and don't have your phone.  Having recently had to call AAA twice because of damaged tires, I definitely needed my phone or I would have been standing waiting for a stranger to stop and help me.  I have also gotten sick on my last two cruises and needed to make calls.  I could have used the high priced phone in my cabin, but our cellphones allowed by my DH and I to make calls and handle arrangements that needed to be made.

49 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just curious what you do if you have an issue when travelling and don't have your phone.  Having recently had to call AAA twice because of damaged tires, I definitely needed my phone or I would have been standing waiting for a stranger to stop and help me.  I have also gotten sick on my last two cruises and needed to make calls.  I could have used the high priced phone in my cabin, but our cellphones allowed by my DH and I to make calls and handle arrangements that needed to be made.

Not too worried about what if’s. Been cruising for 40yrs and never needed it. Guess I’ll figure it out if the need ever arises.  As far as tires go, we carry a spare; as for no cell phone, I've paid for many cruises by not having one (have an old freebie for emergencies...probably works). 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Thanks 1

Just got off Oasis Oct 16 . No compass in room unless you ask steward and then he will leave in room each night . also available at customer service but don't stand in line just ask employee walking around in that area and they will get you one