Wish Royal would adopt something like Carnival's new chair hog policy

16 minutes ago, VernRDH said:

On Adventure this August we saw staff putting sticky notes on unattended chairs. Problem was people were in the pool or hot tub or had gone to get a bite to eat. So those folks came back maybe 10 minutes later to find a note on their chair. Pissed them off. 

I will not apologize for using a chair in the shade all day. DH and I like the quieter spaces, so we tend to go further away from the pool in the Solarium. On sea days, that is where we stay. We may go in the hot tub or pool for a bit, but we enjoy relaxing there, enjoying the view, making new friends or just reading or playing games.

"Pissed them off"?  Sorry, but they were doing their job and marking all empty chairs.  If they came back before the time was up and the crew came back by, then what is the issue with a sticky note?  Take it off and they won't remove your stuff.

No one has an issue with people actually using the chairs.  The issue is those that come down at 6 am, put towels, flip flops, etc and then don't return for 3 or 4 hours and sometimes longer.  That is the issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

If you want a chair by the pool simply get up early in the morning and get one. Usually by 8-9am is good. 

On our recent cruise I was out about 7:00 am on our first At-Sea Day.  I got an excellent chair  -- but within 30 minutes all the prime chairs (in the Solarium shade) were claimed, and I was one of two people actually using the chairs.  

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It'd be a bear of a process, but it'd be nice if they had a chair reservation process. Free for an hour, then a charge if you want it more than an hour at a time.

You're saying you should be able to leave a chair un-used /reserved for an hour?  No.  And this sounds unnecessarily difficult.  

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

They make you check-out towels, surely they can come up with a system where you have to check-out a chair.  

Good point. 

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Royal has a pretty reliable lounge chair reservation system, it's called book a suite.  No other system needed.

Pay all that money to get the worst chairs?  No thanks.  

2 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I vote YES on this. It would be nice if they'd actually enforce the policy. 

The problem is, the chair hogs come back and get mad at the staff member, and the staff member has no incentive or backup to want to put themselves in that position ... 

Agree that an unenforced policy is useless -- that's what Royal has now. 

Also agree that the staff should have some back-up /feel that they can actually enforce the policy without negative consequences from the wrong-doers. 

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I always get a clean towel on my way back to my cabin at the end of the day so I’m prepared the next day.

I do the same thing and for the same reason -- just "exchange" rather than return.  It also means you're not putting your number in /out of the system multiple times a day, which greatly lessens the opportunity for a mistake on your account.  

4 minutes ago, BND said:

"Pissed them off"?  Sorry, but they were doing their job and marking all empty chairs.  If they came back before the time was up and the crew came back by, then what is the issue with a sticky note?  Take it off and they won't remove your stuff.

No one has an issue with people actually using the chairs.  The issue is those that come down at 6 am, put towels, flip flops, etc and then don't return for 3 or 4 hours and sometimes longer.  That is the issue.

Yes, but the staff fears complaints -- fair or unfair -- and with good reason.  

Totally agree -- if I arrive at the pool and find you're sitting in my favorite chair, I have NO PROBLEM with you.  But I do have a problem -- and will always have a problem -- with people claiming resources they aren't using /denying resources to others. 

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Royal puts forth zero effort to enforce their don't-reserve-chairs policy. 

But you're right that a policy isn't a policy unless it's enforced.  This wouldn't be hard to enforce -- and they didn't make this new rule for no reason.  I hope they do enforce it.  

White wash!

55 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Until Royal institutes something that works and they are willing to enforce, how about this:

We live in a society where small children can do no wrong:  running wild, being loud, misbehaving... all without discipline.  So I think a few mommy and daddies should TRAIN their young'uns to laugh and run through the pool areas, PULLING EVERY TOWEL OFF of an empty lounger and dropping them in a pile over to the side!

"Oh, I'm sorry, but there wasn't anything on any of the chairs when I came out, so I don't know what you mean about reserving this chair."

Sorry but I hate generalizations.  Not all, in fact I will go with not even most, children behave like this. Don’t blame the many for the sins of the few.  And frankly I can think of many adult behaviors on board that deserve a good slap up side the head.

• Like 4

Maybe it is because we are new to cruising and I know this will likely bring forth wrath, but we've never experienced a complete shortage of somewhere to lounge on any cruise.  Now our first 2 sailings were under restricted capacity but our third was on Oasis last month, 7 day and it was PACKED.  We are most definitely pool people and in fact didn't much care for the Solarium on Oasis so it was outside pool deck only for us.  We spent every single day of our sailing on that pool deck.   We also are NOT early risers on vacation.  We hit the pool deck each day around 9 or so on Oasis and I had visions of being stuck on a lounger on a lifeboat....  Far from the case.  We never once experienced any trouble finding somewhere to lounge and enjoy our drinks.  Were they prime locations?  Nope, but then again we slept in and relaxed so I didn't expect a prime location.  Of course we saw loads and loads of towels on loungers and a lot didn't appear to have been used.  You know what we did?  Walked right by and never got bent out of shape about it.  Maybe we just haven't been on 'that' sailing yet, but is it so bad that you really cannot find somewhere to lounge?

I've obviously saw what Carnival's plan and is and as we all know this ultimately about some sort of enforcement and sooner or later staff are going to grow tired of poor interactions with passengers long before people that save loungers will get tired of acting up.  Remember staff live in fear of these bloody surveys so enforcement will be a tough gig. 

I get that it just chaps many people's a$$ but while on vacation I do my level best to enjoy myself and not let the little things get to me.  To each their own. 

Edited by edrussell
  • Like 3

Just got off the Voyager. Someone had “claimed” a lounge bed, but in the 60 minutes we were there we never saw them. Another lady came along, asked if it was being used (clearly not) and got an attendant to remove the towels, then settled in nicely. About 45 minutes later, the “owner” of the towels strolled over, took a peek at the new resident and then turned to me (one row back) and asked where her stuff was. I said an attendant had gathered up her things. She looked confused but didn’t fuss. Sone people 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, edrussell said:

I get that it just chaps many people's a$$ but while on vacation I do my level best to enjoy myself and not let the little things get to me.  To each their own. 

We must understand that for many people sitting/laying out next to the pool is something they have been waiting for for a long time.  Sleeping to a reasonable hour, having breakfast, stroll down to the pool deck just to find the place full with many loungers with towels and belonging is just enough to chap their a$$, and I don't blame them.  But then, I'm a rule follower and retired enforcer.  BTW, I don't like laying out in the sun by the pool or anywhere else.  I'm a sit at the bar kinda guy.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

I get 2 chairs on 100% of ships, 100% of days.

I walk up to a pool attendant day 1, hand him or her a $20, and tell them I would like two chairs around XX am on sea days and YY pm on port days, and I get chairs every time.

Every time.

And if the chair hogs come and yell at me?  I tell them I saw someone throw their stuff overboard, lol.

Hmmm

I get the chairs I want, and it doesn’t cost a single cent. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, handbellplayer said:

This may be one of the most elite posts I've ever read on this forum!

First of all, I took that comment by @neverbeenhere as humor.  But besides that, for people who pay for suites, why not let them have some perks?  My wife and I always cruise in a suite.  Not because we are "elite" but because it's what we enjoy.  We like the space and the handful of benefits that come with it.  It also means we have to save a bit and only cruise once every 2-3 years. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rudeney said:

First of all, I took that comment by @neverbeenhere as humor.  But besides that, for people who pay for suites, why not let them have some perks?  My wife and I always cruise in a suite.  Not because we are "elite" but because it's what we enjoy.  We like the space and the handful of benefits that come with it.  It also means we have to save a bit and only cruise once every 2-3 years. 

I think you may have noticed that when I talk about some of our experiences with Star Class, I always say that I'm not bragging, just passing on facts.  It is because of people taking things the wrong way that I am hesitant to mention our many Star Class experiences.  I'm not a bragger or arrogant, at least with my cruise status.  I may be arrogant about my knowledge of certain limited subjects that I'm familiar with or my willingness to research for facts.  Like you, I took the post as humor AND we save for, usually, two years to afford a little luxury in our lives.  We may cruise in less than a suite on the off years that we aren't Star, like this October the 31st but our next Star cruise is Jan 2004.  

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Carnival has started a new policy that's actually supposed to address the chair hog problem.  Simple:  Staff members will place a note with the time on a chair.  After 40 minutes, the items on the chair will be removed:  https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-makes-a-move-thats-firm-with-guests/84384 

It's a great step.  I'd love to see Royal do something similar.  

This is not a new policy. Carnival has been doing that since I frequently cruised on Carnival, which was several years ago. 

29 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I think you may have noticed that when I talk about some of our experiences with Star Class, I always say that I'm not bragging, just passing on facts.  It is because of people taking things the wrong way that I am hesitant to mention our many Star Class experiences.  I'm not a bragger or arrogant, at least with my cruise status.  I may be arrogant about my knowledge of certain limited subjects that I'm familiar with or my willingness to research for facts.  Like you, I took the post as humor AND we save for, usually, two years to afford a little luxury in our lives.  We may cruise in less than a suite on the off years that we aren't Star, like this October the 31st but our next Star cruise is Jan 2004.  

Do they have star class on the time travel cruises? 

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, edrussell said:

Maybe it is because we are new to cruising and I know this will likely bring forth wrath, but we've never experienced a complete shortage of somewhere to lounge on any cruise.  Now our first 2 sailings were under restricted capacity but our third was on Oasis last month, 7 day and it was PACKED.  We are most definitely pool people and in fact didn't much care for the Solarium on Oasis so it was outside pool deck only for us.  We spent every single day of our sailing on that pool deck.   We also are NOT early risers on vacation.  We hit the pool deck each day around 9 or so on Oasis and I had visions of being stuck on a lounger on a lifeboat....  Far from the case.  We never once experienced any trouble finding somewhere to lounge and enjoy our drinks.  Were they prime locations?  Nope, but then again we slept in and relaxed so I didn't expect a prime location.  Of course we saw loads and loads of towels on loungers and a lot didn't appear to have been used.  You know what we did?  Walked right by and never got bent out of shape about it.  Maybe we just haven't been on 'that' sailing yet, but is it so bad that you really cannot find somewhere to lounge?

I've obviously saw what Carnival's plan and is and as we all know this ultimately about some sort of enforcement and sooner or later staff are going to grow tired of poor interactions with passengers long before people that save loungers will get tired of acting up.  Remember staff live in fear of these bloody surveys so enforcement will be a tough gig. 

Since you are “pool people”, your perspective will likely change if you continue to cruise. Per your comment you have only been on one “normal” cruise. Odds are highly likely you will experience chair hogs in the future if you continue to cruise on RCI or pretty much any other cruise line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Since you are “pool people”, your perspective will likely change if you continue to cruise. Per your comment you have only been on one “normal” cruise. Odds are highly likely you will experience chair hogs in the future if you continue to cruise on RCI or pretty much any other cruise line. 

Or if they go to any beach resort in the Caribbean that doesn't charge for chairs.

Anyone who says they've never seen a chair hog problem hasn't traveled very much.

I think the problem is actually WAY worse at beach resorts than on cruises because at least on a cruise you can get a chair off the beaten path (the deck above the pool, the lower decks, etc). On the beach there's a whole lot less options. 

14 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Or if they go to any beach resort in the Caribbean that doesn't charge for chairs.

Anyone who says they've never seen a chair hog problem hasn't traveled very much.

I think the problem is actually WAY worse at beach resorts than on cruises because at least on a cruise you can get a chair off the beaten path (the deck above the pool, the lower decks, etc). On the beach there's a whole lot less options. 

We've been to all inclusive in Mexico over 15 times thus far. Is that not traveling enough for your statement to ring true?  None of the resorts we have been to charge for chairs.  Nor have we EVER one single time have had a situation where we have not been able to find a lounger at the pool or at the beach.

9 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

When I was a young kid, Pre-Elementary School Age and up to about the 6th grade, my mom was a sun worshiper,  and would take us, my brother and I, to the beach, Dania Beach, FL., almost everyday.  Dania Beach is probably one of the best beaches in all of South Florida.  The funny thing is, at least back then, there were NO lounge chairs on the beach, everybody put a towel or blanket down and that's it.  Oh and we had to grease ourselves with Axle Grease called Bain de Soleil, man I hated that stuff.  

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

AND we save for, usually, two years to afford a little luxury in our lives.  We may cruise in less than a suite on the off years that we aren't Star, like this October the 31st but our next Star cruise is Jan 2004.  

What are the prices for Star Class in 2004? 

😂

just kidding.... 

17 minutes ago, edrussell said:

We've been to all inclusive in Mexico over 15 times thus far. Is that not traveling enough for your statement to ring true?  None of the resorts we have been to charge for chairs.  Nor have we EVER one single time have had a situation where we have not been able to find a lounger at the pool or at the beach.

That's been our experience too. The chair hog problem is much worse on cruise ships than at the many Caribbean all inclusive beach resorts that we have been to over the past 30 years.  Perhaps you and I just travel in elite circles. 10 star and above! 😉

We went to a Cuban resort once that was definitely NO stars and did not have any chair hog problems.  

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1