Happy Hour now 25% off second drink instead of 50%?

newtocruiseinblue

I'm following along the most recent venture on the NS and boarding in a couple of weeks. I noticed on the daily that was posted that it said happy hour second drinks are 25% off instead of 50% off. Is this a new change or am I missing something (as usual)? 

We do not have all included and my husband (an accountant) liked to attend happy hour, order a bucket of beers and get the second 50% off (or whatever it used to be)....then we would enjoy a few and bring the rest to our cabin to enjoy on the veranda. We aren't huge drinkers, but this was an economical way to partake while cruising and something we liked about HAL.

9 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

I'm following along the most recent venture on the NS and boarding in a couple of weeks. I noticed on the daily that was posted that it said happy hour second drinks are 25% off instead of 50% off. Is this a new change or am I missing something (as usual)? 

We do not have all included and my husband (an accountant) liked to attend happy hour, order a bucket of beers and get the second 50% off (or whatever it used to be)....then we would enjoy a few and bring the rest to our cabin to enjoy on the veranda. We aren't huge drinkers, but this was an economical way to partake while cruising and something we liked about HAL.

We are on the same sailing, and like you do not have the drink package.  I ordered my dh a liter of Jim Beam to be delivered to the cabin.  Have you considered this?  It is acceptable to bring a glass outside the stateroom.  Like you, we will be participating in happy hours.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

We are on the same sailing, and like you do not have the drink package.  I ordered my dh a liter of Jim Beam to be delivered to the cabin.  Have you considered this?  It is acceptable to bring a glass outside the stateroom.  Like you, we will be participating in happy hours.

Yes, going to have to play with some choices...that is a good option. I think this change is new but not sure. Kinda bummed about it. I've been conditioned to love saving money as an accountant's wife haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

We were on the Zuiderdam last month. There was a happy hour every day from 4 to 5pm, but only in two of the bars. Drinks were discounted 50%.

That was my experience on the Noordam 2 wks. ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

they use to be buy one, second drink $1. And that was not very long ago.

Before that, it was buy one---get one free. And that, also, wasn't very long ago. I remember that rule on a 2019 cruise, obviously before the covid shutdown. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I think we will be doing a lot more of that on our Grand SA.   We have unlimited mixers provided in the cabin.   Just kind of hard to belly up to the bar with your cabin made cocktail.   AARP gift cards may be an option.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

I think we will be doing a lot more of that on our Grand SA.   We have unlimited mixers provided in the cabin.   Just kind of hard to belly up to the bar with your cabin made cocktail.   AARP gift cards may be an option.   

Agree about the bar, lol.  We mainly sit in music venues.  And, we will be ordering some aside from happy hour.  Also, I may purchase a wine package while on board with my 3 star 25% discount.  It will be really nice when I have a 4 star discount.  For myself(and my dh) we tend to over drink when we have a drink package.  I am trying to avoid weight gain so not having a drink package works for us.

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

Before that, it was buy one---get one free. And that, also, wasn't very long ago. I remember that rule on a 2019 cruise, obviously before the covid shutdown. 

I had the 2nd drink for a buck on all 3 of my Fall 2021 "Covid-19" cruises.

• Like 1

CCL just made an offering to borrow another 2 Billion dollars at 10.28% interest. Money to be used to pay debt owed by end of year: They sweetened the pot for investors by offering up 12 ships. Borrowing money to pay money owed is rarely good. 

I’m surprised HAL still offers a 25% discount during happy hour. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

28 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

CCL just made an offering to borrow another 2 Billion dollars at 10.28% interest. Money to be used to pay debt owed by end of year: They sweetened the pot for investors by offering up 12 ships. Borrowing money to pay money owed is rarely good. 

I’m surprised HAL still offers a 25% discount during happy hour. 

Yet tomorrow- There will be three threads asking can we bring soda and water aboard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

Currently on Nieuw Amsterdam and it’s 50% off drinks for happy hour. 

Perhaps, as it has been doing with surcharges and price changes on the Westerdam, HAL is experimenting on the NS evaluating passenger acceptance of reducing the Happy Hour value.

With so many passengers getting the HIA package now too, the Happy Hour deal benefits far fewer cruisers than pre-HIA days.

• Like 1