Just received this Emergency notice--what does it mean?

shiner6

I received this as an "Emergency Notice " just now from Princess. I went to my itinereary and could not find any information about change or cancellation or refund.  Having difficulty understanding what this means and what should I do?

IMPORTANT NOTICES

SHORE EXCURSION MODIFICATION

Please be advised due limitations by the National Park Service, your shore excursion at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Hawaii has been modified and we are no longer able to provide a shuttle ticket to the USS Arizona memorial. You will be able to secure a complimentary shuttle ticket on your own once you are at Pearl Harbor. Please visit the Cruise Personalizer at www.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer to review the updated tour description or, if you wish, to reserve an alternate tour. You will be able to do so online up to six days prior to sailing or once you are on board.

We are sorry for any disappointment this may cause and look forward to welcoming you on board for your cruise.

it means that you will not automatically get a shuttle ticket to the Arizona, you will have to get it yourself, the guide will no longer give you one.

22 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

I received this as an "Emergency Notice " just now from Princess. I went to my itinereary and could not find any information about change or cancellation or refund.  Having difficulty understanding what this means and what should I do?

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Please be advised due limitations by the National Park Service, your shore excursion at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Hawaii has been modified and we are no longer able to provide a shuttle ticket to the USS Arizona memorial. You will be able to secure a complimentary shuttle ticket on your own once you are at Pearl Harbor. Please visit the Cruise Personalizer at www.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer to review the updated tour description or, if you wish, to reserve an alternate tour. You will be able to do so online up to six days prior to sailing or once you are on board.

We are sorry for any disappointment this may cause and look forward to welcoming you on board for your cruise.

The tickets are free and it is regulated by the National Park Service. Here’s a link if you have questions.  PCL will probably update their excursion details to reflect this, I would hope. Sounds like your excursion is still going, from what I can see you posted, but the tickets over to the memorial would be given by the NPS.

https://www.nps.gov/perl/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

• Thanks 2

Thank you for the speedy replies.  I have been to the government site and plan to obtain tickets and shuttle in this way.  I guess that means there is no reason to pay $129 pp for an excursion through Princess.  Does this make economic sense? It is rather confusing.  What reason would I want to pay Princess?  Isn't this something which I may do myself now that they are not providing tickets on the shuttle?

Edited by shiner6
add text

2 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Thank you for the speedy replies.  I have been to the government site and plan to obtain tickets and shuttle in this way.  I guess that means there is no reason to pay $129 pp for an excursion through Princess.  Does this make economic sense? It is rather confusing.

If the main purpose for you to book this excursion was to go to the memorial than no, it does not make economic sense.  The excursion was 5.5 hrs and you go other places besides Pearl Harbor.  What cruise is this?  We leave Sunday so just wondering in people on our cruise are effected as well.  I didn’t have this excursion booked so no notice.

57 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Thank you for the speedy replies.  I have been to the government site and plan to obtain tickets and shuttle in this way.  I guess that means there is no reason to pay $129 pp for an excursion through Princess.  Does this make economic sense? It is rather confusing.  What reason would I want to pay Princess?  Isn't this something which I may do myself now that they are not providing tickets on the shuttle?

Princess still provides the transportation from the ship to Pearl Harbor and anything lese listed in the excursion.

The only difference is in the past the tour made the reservations for the shuttle (boat ride) out to the  Arizona memorial and handed out the tickets.  The rules have changed and tour companies can nolonger make the reservations and give out the tickets,  each individual must get their own tickets for the shuttle.  Other than that nothing has changed.  Since the tickets were and still are free there is not a cost impact, only an impact in services delivered.

Yesterday the National Park issued an Operations Update 10/18/22:  

Regrettably the USS Arizona Memorial programs, out of an abundance of caution, have suspended boat tours until further notice.  Operations will resume when the National Park Service deems conditions safe enough to do so.  

Maybe your notice had something to do with that?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shiner6 said:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Hi! 

The Memorial has had to do more infrastructure repairs to the memorial, which is a floating dock. The Navy operates the shuttles in concert with the park.  According to the Park's website (https://www.nps.gov/perl/planyourvisit/conditions.htm) they have resumed shuttles to the USS ARIZONA as of today. However, the tour operator most likely was unable to get the tickets in advance like they usually do. 

As with all NPS sites that require entry tickets, you can reserve your tickets on Recreation.gov: 
https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

Follow the park on social media (Twitter and Facebook are the best for the most up-to-the minute info) as you plan your trip. https://twitter.com/PearlHarborNPS

Also note they don't have any potable water at the moment, due to a water main issue on base. 

Your friendly NPS Park Ranger, 
Blondee419

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Yesterday the National Park issued an Operations Update 10/18/22:  

Regrettably the USS Arizona Memorial programs, out of an abundance of caution, have suspended boat tours until further notice.  Operations will resume when the National Park Service deems conditions safe enough to do so.  

Maybe your notice had something to do with that?  

I doubt it because there has been an update

Park Operations Update (Tuesday 10/18/22 4:30 p.m.): USS Arizona National Memorial
Boat tours will resume on Wednesday 10/19/2022 at 8:00 a.m. and depart at their scheduled times.

There was a major water break in and around Pearl Harbor.  The base in on a boil water alert.  This may be one of the reasons for the change in your tour.  

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/navy-announces-water-main-breaks-to-be-fixed-by-next-week-as-daycare-centers-restaurants/article_082ab6a6-4f7d-11ed-bdc3-1b9fe09852fe.html

1 hour ago, Coolmama_1 said:

If the tour leaves at 7:30, I wonder what time would be good to get tickets for? 

1 hour ago, Coolmama_1 said:

If the tour leaves at 7:30, I wonder what time would be good to get tickets for? 

From the excursion details it's giving 20mins for the time to the Arizona. 7:30 start time, going against most traffic, that should be about right.

image.png.ce23f0130d96cd110593c6acb97cd093.png

Here lies the problem. You need to pick up the tickets an hour before the start of the 20 minute movie.  The launch leaves shortly after the movie ends.  It’s another 20 minutes out to the memorial.  You stay on the memorial (20 minutes) until the next launch arrives.  Factor in wait times….that’s at least a window of 2 hours and 20 minutes.  

Will the tour take you to the USS Missouri?  To the Pacific Aviation Museum?  

Do not cancel the excursion until you have arranged for your own tickets and transportation,  

21 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Here lies the problem. You need to pick up the tickets an hour before the start of the 20 minute movie.  The launch leaves shortly after the movie ends.  It’s another 20 minutes out to the memorial.  You stay on the memorial (20 minutes) until the next launch arrives.  Factor in wait times….that’s at least a window of 2 hours and 20 minutes.  

Will the tour take you to the USS Missouri?  To the Pacific Aviation Museum?  

Do not cancel the excursion until you have arranged for your own tickets and transportation,  

Thank you for your input.

On 10/19/2022 at 4:32 PM, shiner6 said:

What does it mean?

It means that princess doesn't understand the meaning of the word emergency.

"Important" might have been a better word.

• Like 1