Changing cabin, can't keep old price?

luckybecky

Hello cruisers,

We are scheduled on the Bliss for a Panama canal cruise in Feb. I wanted to change our stateroom -- within the same category (BB), on the same deck -- but I've been told by two different representatives that if I do that, I will have to pay the current price which is more than $1500 more than when we booked. 

Is this typically the case? I know I've been able to change cabins on other lines without incurring additional expense, as long as we stay in the same category. Is it just an NCL thing? We are still a few days outside of final payment, if that makes any difference. 

Thanks in advance.

What are the conditions on your original booking?

It is possible that your original booking has restrictions that precludes any changes without cancelling and rebooking at current rates.

And, FYI, it doesn't matter what you have done on other cruise lines at some point in the past, it only matters what NCL's current policy is.

49 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

Hello cruisers,

We are scheduled on the Bliss for a Panama canal cruise in Feb. I wanted to change our stateroom -- within the same category (BB), on the same deck -- but I've been told by two different representatives that if I do that, I will have to pay the current price which is more than $1500 more than when we booked. 

Is this typically the case? I know I've been able to change cabins on other lines without incurring additional expense, as long as we stay in the same category. Is it just an NCL thing? We are still a few days outside of final payment, if that makes any difference. 

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this matters in your case... I've found the online chat function to be a great way to make changes.  However the reps. in chat seem to have less flexibility than when I call and talk to a PCC.

• Thanks 1

We have changed our cabin three times for our upcoming Nov 1st TA...once after final payment, as recently as a few weeks ago. 

Called our PCC and he changed it instantly each time, with no price difference or loss of amenities.

All cabins were in the same category. 

Apparently, when people say "Your mileage might vary", it's true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We have changed our cabin three times for our upcoming Nov 1st TA...once after final payment, as recently as a few weeks ago. 

Called our PCC and he changed it instantly each time, with no price difference or loss of amenities.

All cabins were in the same category. 

Apparently, when people say "Your mileage might vary", it's true.

Looking at November TA's it seems unlikely that you would pay much, if any more for a new booking now than whatever your original cost was.  That probably explains why you were able to change with no price difference, unlike the OP.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

And, FYI, it doesn't matter what you have done on other cruise lines at some point in the past, it only matters what NCL's current policy is.

Riiiight. That is what I was asking. What is NCL's policy?

2 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

Riiiight. That is what I was asking. What is NCL's policy?

NCL policy is to charge you more IF the price of the rooms have changed since you booked and IF, your booking type has changed.  By "booking type" I mean that NCL has been running very similar "sales", but with variations in their coding.  It MIGHT be possible to get the change made sometime in the future, without any additional costs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

NCL policy is to charge you more IF the price of the rooms have changed since you booked and IF, your booking type has changed.  By "booking type" I mean that NCL has been running very similar "sales", but with variations in their coding.  It MIGHT be possible to get the change made sometime in the future, without any additional costs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Additionally, I think about two months ago (I might be off a little), NCL did change their sale from a 35% off both (or $70% off second guest) to 40% off. This might be that "booking type" mentioned. Sorry OP! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Well that's a bummer but it's not a big deal. We will still be happy with the room we originally chose. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckybecky said:

Is this typically the case?

I've also moved bookings to different staterooms within the same category without an increase in price and without a cancel/rebook.

As others have noted, if the price has increased or if promos have changed, it might be more difficult to change staterooms.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to change?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Out of curiosity, why do you want to change?

There are a few rooms in that category that are set on sort of an angle, which gives you a slightly larger balcony. (Bliss 10784 is one example)  I saw a video on a cruise deck plans website and it does appear noticeably larger. One of those rooms became available and I was hoping to snag it, but not if it means a $1500 price increase!!

Edited by luckybecky

55 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

There are a few rooms in that category that are set on sort of an angle, which gives you a slightly larger balcony. (Bliss 10784 is one example)  I saw a video on a cruise deck plans website and it does appear noticeably larger. One of those rooms became available and I was hoping to snag it, but not if it means a $1500 price increase!!

Wanting an angled balcony for the same price as standard....I completely understand.

There are some forum members who spend way too much time analyzing cruise ship balconies and posting about them.

The really strange forum members spend too much time deciphering whether the bed is near the balcony or near the closet.🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Wanting an angled balcony for the same price as standard....I completely understand.

There are some forum members who spend way too much time analyzing cruise ship balconies and posting about them.

The really strange forum members spend too much time deciphering whether the bed is near the balcony or near the closet.🤪

Don't forget the forum members who spend too much time posting about what other forum members do. 😉

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Step 1 in recovery is being able to admit when you have a problem 😛 

For the OP, if you're on the 2/24 sailing with me out of LA, another thing to consider is upgrading your cabin. Balcony rooms seem to be higher in price for some reason, but there are some VERY good discounts on Haven rooms. ~$350/pp/day right now for the lowest category Haven room.

If that's too much of an upgrade, look into the club balcony rooms - they're only about a $500 total increase from a regular balcony.

• Like 1