What is the general consensus these days on having the cruise line book your flights?

bubbulz

In the past, I had always done my own air arrangements directly with the airline. But I can see an advantage of booking through the cruise line in that the insurance purchased from the cruise line would cover the air as well as the cruise. Otherwise I would need to get separate insurance for the flights, and any unforeseen changes would not be handled in a coordinated way by the cruise line. However, at this point the cruise line’s contract fare is $330 higher than if I book directly with the airline.  Thoughts?

Hmmm. It just got a little bit more complicated. If I book directly with the airline, I can make changes at any time with no fee. If I book the flights through the cruise line, there is a re-issue fee of $100 once it is ticketed. 

We have booked air ourselves and via the cruise line. Generally if it’s less expensive or about the same price I book with the cruise line. When we book with them they meet us at the airport and provide transfers to and from the ship (assuming you are arriving and departing at the beginning and end of the cruise). By booking with them then if the cruise line changes or cancels the cruise they are responsible for any airfare change costs. 

However if it provides substantial savings we often book our own. It gives us more flight options and the flexibility to arrive early or remain after the cruise at no additional cost (no dreaded deviation fee). 

Either way will work. But a word to the wise about insurance…. It is never a good idea to purchase it thru the cruise line. You can get a much more comprehensive policy for less cost if you buy a separate policy. You insure the entire cost of your trip, including airfare, cruise, additional hotels etc. you do not need a separate policy for airfare. There are several sites that will let you compare policies. I use insure my trip dot com but there are others that do pretty much the same thing. 

• Like 3

For my river cruises, I haven't been able to find fares on my own that were better than what I could get thru the cruise lines.  Their fares were MUCH better.  It doesn't hurt to price them out and compare.  

I always buy 3rd party insurance.  

• Like 2

Early on we booked through the cruise line, and that trip was very smooth.  But we arrived on embarkation day and returned home on disembarkation day.  Now we almost always fly in a day or more ahead and often stay over at the end as well – when you 'deviate' from the expected dates you lose the transfers and often have to pay a higher price.

Also we are now aware that cruise lines often don't buy 'real' tickets, but instead have block fares that don't include the full range of flexibility.  And of course they don't lock in your ticket or your seat selection on the day the fares become bookable, when you have the full choice of seats.  For all those reasons we now book our airfare directly.

• Like 3

I agree with all the replies.  We normally book on our own.   However our last trip Airfare was coming up way cheaper through cuiseline.   We booked that,  and the trip went fine.    Correct in that we could not choose seats until the ticket was actually ticketed,  however the cuiseline ticketed them maybe a month before the trip or so and we got adequate seats no issues.   

Have fun.....

I just booked my air through our cruise line and the cost was cheaper.  The cruise line sent me the cost and flight information I compared it to what I could get and the cruise line was a better deal.  We were also able to select our seats.  My thought was with the airlines canceling so many flights lately it will be up to the cruise line to get new flights.  At least I am hoping that is what will happen.

• Like 1

I might have felt differently if the cruise line's price was less expensive but it's actually several hundred more. And I'm really picky about the seat I choose on the plane so I'd rather have the control. And the flexibility to adjust my flights with no penalty if I book through the airline is a big deal to me. But thanks to everyone for helping me work through this. Now to figure out whether I want the cruise line's insurance since it includes a full future flight credit if I cancel for any reason. (Again, probably not.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

If you allow the cruiseline book your flights you give up all control. And the ticket is a bulk rate ticket. If the ticket is part of the deal or very discounted, I’d go for it. But otherwise I like to book our own. 

2 hours ago, bubbulz said:

I might have felt differently if the cruise line's price was less expensive but it's actually several hundred more. And I'm really picky about the seat I choose on the plane so I'd rather have the control. And the flexibility to adjust my flights with no penalty if I book through the airline is a big deal to me. But thanks to everyone for helping me work through this. Now to figure out whether I want the cruise line's insurance since it includes a full future flight credit if I cancel for any reason. (Again, probably not.)

That must depend on the cruise line you booked with. We booked our flight with Avalon after booking our cruise. We were able to select dates (we had a pre & post cruise, but they didn't provide transports because of this), air line, chosen airports, and, once the tickets were booked, we were able to go in and with a small fee that the *airline* charged, able to select our seats.

Our insurance which was purchased at the time through Avalon as they had the best "deal" covered not only our cruise, but the 4 extra days we did on our own.

I think it may also matter which cabin you travel in.  Coach has lots of seats, so finding something acceptable a month out shouldn't be a problem.  Business doesn't tend to sell out quickly anymore (with so little business travel).  But we prefer Premium Economy, and the section is so small that I feel compelled to nail down my seats as early as possible (and to keep control over seat selection in case the aircraft is switched out).

The biggest downsides in my case were: 1. Paying about $350 extra for the exact same flights; and 2. Being subject to change fees if I made any changes to the flights. Booking directly with the airline, I can go online and make any changes at any time with no penalty, and I can always rebook for free if the price goes down.

• Like 1

It may depend upon what airports are available to you?  We fly out of Logan in Boston, and having been to Europe 4 times in the last 5 years, we have never been able to get flights as cheaply as the cruise/tour company.  3 out of 4 times we were able to get non-stops, again for less money than if we booked it ourselves. 

Family asks why we go to Europe as opposed to Alaska, Hawaii, etc.  Easy answer:  Europe is (a) closer and (b) cheaper to fly to.

1 hour ago, bubbulz said:

The biggest downsides in my case were: 1. Paying about $350 extra for the exact same flights; and 2. Being subject to change fees if I made any changes to the flights. Booking directly with the airline, I can go online and make any changes at any time with no penalty, and I can always rebook for free if the price goes down.

I don't know about where you are or what airlines you use, but the easy (and free) changes have pretty well disappeared in Canada, unless you buy very expensive full price tickets.

3 hours ago, milling73 said:

If free air or reduced fare offered, take it. Flights given to us by Viking were ones I would have picked myself, plus I could see flights and pick my own seats or even another flight. There was no downside. 

There is no downside until something happens to that flight and you need to rebook. 

36 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don't know about where you are or what airlines you use, but the easy (and free) changes have pretty well disappeared in Canada, unless you buy very expensive full price tickets.

United Airlines originating in the US: “Enjoy more flexibility when you fly with us. We’ve permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. You also won’t pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bubbulz said:

United Airlines originating in the US: “Enjoy more flexibility when you fly with us. We’ve permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. You also won’t pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S.”

That is interesting, and I wish it were true here. Just remember, they are only getting rid of change fees; any fare differences will be charged.

10 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

That is interesting, and I wish it were true here. Just remember, they are only getting rid of change fees; any fare differences will be charged.

True but odds are I won’t make changes unless really necessary, and on balance I’d rather not pay an extra $350 up front plus change fees for the cruise line’s fare. And I prefer booking my own. 😉

19 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

There is no downside until something happens to that flight and you need to rebook. 

That could happen on any flight, regardless of who books it.  In fact our original flights that Viking booked had a  schedule change that made connections impossible.  Viking Air notified us, and rebooked us on better connections.  The promotion was free air when booked, and remained free air with the change.  Plus we could view and,  pick our own seats.  

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 6:13 AM, milling73 said:

That could happen on any flight, regardless of who books it.  In fact our original flights that Viking booked had a  schedule change that made connections impossible.  Viking Air notified us, and rebooked us on better connections.  The promotion was free air when booked, and remained free air with the change.  Plus we could view and,  pick our own seats.  

On our recent Viking Ocean cruise, free airfare was included. We paid extra to pick our carrier and the flights we wanted. Evidently the airline changed their schedule and Viking OK'ed new flight arrangements without asking us. When I requested flights that fit our schedule, they said yes but only if we paid a $350 change fee. Needless to say I don't have many good things to say about Viking Air right now. 

Paul

On 10/28/2022 at 7:13 AM, milling73 said:

I’m glad it worked out for you. I was speaking of if your flight gets canceled the day off because of weather or mechanical difficulty. Just giving a heads up to those thinking about it to fully research the implications. 

I’d say always regardless of how you book keep an eye regularly on your intended flights whoever books them. AirFrance changed our bookings without informing ourselves or Scenic and the return landed at Birmingham U.K. and not Bristol U.K. luckily I caught it, imagine your car at Bristol about 100 miles away from Birmingham okay not far in USA terms but disastrous in U.K. terms.

I like the expression buyer beware any company can have challenges.

• Like 1

The cruise line we have used has always come in at an equal, or better, price than we can get booking by ourselves. They provide the airline’s booking reference number as well as seat assignments when the flight is booked. With this information I have been able to change seats if I see “better” seats. They don’t charge more if we fly in early or stay later. 
As with most lines, they meet us at the airport and provide transfers to/from the ship for no additional charge. They also provide transfers for pre or post stays if we book the hotel through them. It’s relatively easy to compare the cost of using their hotel booking versus booking a hotel and transfers on our own. 
Most important for us is that when they book the airfare and there is a problem, such as a flight cancellation or time change that messes up connection time, they fix it.