Is high tech making a new class system ,I think so .

dolittle

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

In the immortal words of Paul Simon, "A man sees what he wants to see, And disregards the rest."

So Princess institutes their Medallion and takes all functionality off of their personalizer. And then the multiple glitches happen and the complaints occur and their phone lines are tied up with callers who are trying to make it work. And finally they reinstitute the functionality of the personalizer.

Why did they take away that functionality in the first place when they instituted their new technology (obviously without adequately testing it)? Because they like you say technology, you must go with it no matter what.

They saw what they wanted to see, and disregarded all the problems with their new technology!

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

In the immortal words of Paul Simon, "A man sees what he wants to see, And disregards the rest."

And in the immortal words of Paul Simon when it comes to your worship of technology "And the people bowed and prayed to the neon gods they made.".

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And in the immortal words of Paul Simon when it comes to your worship of technology "And the people bowed and prayed to the neon gods they made.".

Poets make up a lot of gibberish. 

What is reality is that technology is what distinguishes humanity from the rest of the animal world. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Verbose, but appropriate.

Problem is there is a lot of good helpful tech in the techosphere which is ba\oth helpful to the provider and the providee.  There is also a lot of really bad tech pushed out that is cumbersome and unhelpful to the user, and possible provides only a monetary benefit to the provider (including taking your private data for profit).  The Princess tech is a good example of the latter - little to no benefit to the guest cruiser and extremely cumbersome to use.  Tech improvements will be with us as they have been for centuries - no issue.  Maybe we need a "tech traffic police" which rejects bad tech.  Additionally, requiring a $1000 smartphone and $50-100/month subscription to a provider is not "user friendly."  SPECTRUM is the worst and most expensive of these culprits.  Raising fees at their will, changing access at their will, and providing slow connections just is totally unhelpful.

Interesting because I would categorize my experience with the Princess Medallion app pretty much opposite of what you say.  Though,  I am curious about how Princess is using our private data for profit?  

Isn't it wonderful we can have a discussion about new tech vs. old tech over the internet by typing into our phones, or tablets, or on our laptops. Our poor parents or grandparents had to have the discussion about putting TV's on cruise ships over rotary dial wired phones or over the backyard fence. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 3

On 10/27/2022 at 5:01 PM, dolittle said:

Many new ships are laden with apps for almost everything from getting on the ship to dinner reservations even now ordering you meals even in the buffet. I know many like this and it can make SOME things easier but for some of us it is just a pain. For me part of getting away is getting away from tech, social media and phones (the wired kind too). I know there are some of like me I don't know how to deal with this this on board. I do think it is making a tech class system and those who do not partake in these apps will lose out on many things . What do you think and what class are you in.

The only new tech class system is the one for all those IT professionals were are making huge money and cruising in the suites at 30 years old (or earlier). 

Came off a cruise today in Singapore . Everyone including those continuing on had to fill in a simple online form or use the sg app to upload their id derails, arrival and departure info and health status . You could do it with free WiFi on board . Detailed info was provided in print and on a TV channel. Still saw a couple being taken to a back office because apparently they hadn't done. I think its safe to say that the days of travelling without  a smart phone and knowing how to do the basics are over. Indonesia has a similar requirement as does nz

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Poets make up a lot of gibberish. 

What is reality is that technology is what distinguishes humanity from the rest of the animal world. 

Interesting how you dismiss poetry. There are those who think music, and art, and literature including poetry are what distinguishes us from the animal world.

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Interesting how you dismiss poetry. There are those who think music, and art, and literature including poetry are what distinguishes us from the animal world.

A problem with poetry, music, art and literature is that they make you think - with technology you only need to comply.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Culture comes from technology. Technology is what gives us time and ability to make, music, art and literature. No technology and we would just be animals. I dismissed the quote you made because you are interpreting the lyrics to be profound. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Culture comes from technology. Technology is what gives us time and ability to make, music, art and literature. No technology and we would just be animals. I dismissed the quote you made because you are interpreting the lyrics to be profound. 

And the cavemen drew pictures on the wall because of exactly what high tech tools?

34 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And the cavemen drew pictures on the wall because of exactly what high tech tools?

Tools WERE the high tech technology of the day. They were a huge leap. The sheer ability to find (and refine) the needed "tools" (paint, something to apply the paint with) marked a big advance for us humans.  As did the ability to shape other tools -- for hunting, for creating fire, for sewing clothing.

Don't underestimate the impact these things had in their day. And I would submit that our ability to invent and use new technology is still a highly important characteristic.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Tools WERE the high tech technology of the day. They were a huge leap. The sheer ability to find (and refine) the needed "tools" (paint, something to apply the paint with) marked a big advance for us humans.  As did the ability to shape other tools -- for hunting, for creating fire, for sewing clothing.

Don't underestimate the impact these things had in their day. And I would submit that our ability to invent and use new technology is still a highly important characteristic.

And don't forget that we humans have been, in our history, very, very good at developing technologies to kill other humans. Just as some poetry is gibberish, some technologies are not so advancing for the human race.  

• Thanks 1

If you want to visit Japan, you MUST download an APP to your smart phone or Ipad.

On this APP you MUST pre-register your passport photo, scan of your COVID vaccinations, and enter all your personal details and flight details.

If all is correct, your application will be approved with a QR Code.

When you arrive in Japan, you MUST present that QR Code on your smart phone or Ipad.

No QR Code - no entry to Japan.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

If you want to visit Japan, you MUST download an APP to your smart phone or Ipad.

On this APP you MUST pre-register your passport photo, scan of your COVID vaccinations, and enter all your personal details and flight details.

If all is correct, your application will be approved with a QR Code.

When you arrive in Japan, you MUST present that QR Code on your smart phone or Ipad.

No QR Code - no entry to Japan.

Or you can pick someplace else to visit that will be just as interesting without having to do all that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

And don't forget that we humans have been, in our history, very, very good at developing technologies to kill other humans. Just as some poetry is gibberish, some technologies are not so advancing for the human race.  

Yes, if one wants to shoot up a school, or a church, or a synagogue these days technology allows you to do so shooting hundreds of rounds a minute. And if our politicians really, really screw up there exist the weapons to end the human race.

I believe it was Kurt Vonnegut in one his novels who wrote that technology should have ended with the invention of the electric guitar.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A problem with poetry, music, art and literature is that they make you think - with technology you only need to comply.

And as one former school board member to another---I wonder if we are now educating a generation that does not have critical thinking skills.

And is the latest generation able to communate face to face without a phone or a social media site between them?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I believe it was Kurt Vonnegut in one his novels who wrote that technology should have ended with the invention of the electric guitar.

But then we couldn't discuss the genius of Kurt Vonnegut on the internet. 🤔 

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And as one former school board member to another---I wonder if we are now educating a generation that does not have critical thinking skills.

And is the latest generation able to communate face to face without a phone or a social media site between them?

Every generation thinks that they are the ultimate generation. Generations before them were all luddites and the generations which follows them are all just idiots. 😁

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I've read many of your posts and I can't believe that you really believe that... 

We are getting rather far afield here. I don't think that debating the merits of shipboard technology and smartphone apps is going to lead to the end of the world, nor is it all bad.  In fact, I posted quite a number of positive uses in one of my posts above. 

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've read many of your posts and I can't believe that you really believe that... 

We are getting rather far afield here. I don't think that debating the merits of shipboard technology and smartphone apps is going to lead to the end of the world, nor is it all bad.  In fact, I posted quite a number of positive uses in one of my posts above. 

Agreed - but I do not think we are a coven of Luddites here-  simply some who regret the waning of human interaction.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You mean like digging their heels in and refusing to accept changes to how things are done. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2