Norwegian Prima -Los Lobos Dining pictorial

LauraS

That enchilada looks amazing! 

Question - is it really that entertaining to watch someone make guacamole tableside? I've never had this done and not sure I see the point of it. But, my mind could certainly be changed! 

Thanks for posting some yummy looking photos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Question - is it really that entertaining to watch someone make guacamole tableside? I've never had this done and not sure I see the point of it. But, my mind could certainly be changed! 

Not so much entertaining, but you are assured it's fresh, plus you can pipe-in and say "no onions" or "extra lime please", etc.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think the feature I enjoy about tableside prep is the customization ….asked for spicy and more lime and got it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's fun. It's like hibachi/teppanyaki but with avocados. Also you get to customize how much of each ingredient (jalapenos, onion, salt, etc) they put in to make it to your taste. 

The next time you sail from NYC, go to Charrito's in Weehawken NJ for a meal and get the tableside guac. It's awesome and you can see the cruise port from the restaurant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Not so much entertaining, but you are assured it's fresh, plus you can pipe-in and say "no onions" or "extra lime please", etc.

12 minutes ago, LauraS said:

I think the feature I enjoy about tableside prep is the customization ….asked for spicy and more lime and got it!

5 minutes ago, dandelpino said:

It's fun. It's like hibachi/teppanyaki but with avocados. Also you get to customize how much of each ingredient (jalapenos, onion, salt, etc) they put in to make it to your taste. 

The next time you sail from NYC, go to Charrito's in Weehawken NJ for a meal and get the tableside guac. It's awesome and you can see the cruise port from the restaurant. 

I had never really thought about the customization! I figured they would just a standard recipe. Cool! I will definitely order this and ask them to keep the lime juice far away from the guac. I'm not a fan of citrus juice in my food...I know, I know, how dare I reject the trendiest of food trends. 🙂 

@dandelpino, I will most definitely stop by Charrito's and do that! Thanks for the suggestion. I wish I traveled to the city on business as much as I used to. Oh well, for pleasure it is!

26 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I will definitely order this and ask them to keep the lime juice far away from the guac. I'm not a fan of citrus juice in my food...I know, I know, how dare I reject the trendiest of food trends. 🙂 

It's not trendy, it's been done that way forever.  The acidic juice prevents the fatty avocado from oxidizing & darkening.  But if you don't like it, no big deal, you'll probably finish it before it can get very dark anyway.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, trivimp said:

It's not trendy, it's been done that way forever.  The acidic juice prevents the fatty avocado from oxidizing & darkening.  But if you don't like it, no big deal, you'll probably finish it before it can get very dark anyway.  

I wasn't clear. I didn't mean the guacamole. You're right, I would have eaten it all. Looks like a fairly small portion....but I was reference citrus juice in so many items that are created by chefs nowadays. Maybe it's always been like that, but it seems there are more and more. Anyway, I'm still loving the photos of that food above! 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2022 at 11:49 AM, detroitlions said:

I loved the Guac but I must say I did not like the food. Maybe we all ordered the wrong stuff. I believe my main course was a beef burrito of sorts.

Agree. We thought the food was meh to not good.

We ordered a variety of dishes, 5 people, and no one thought it was  really good. Not much flavor.

YMMV.

6 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Agree. We thought the food was meh to not good.

We ordered a variety of dishes, 5 people, and no one thought it was  really good. Not much flavor.

YMMV.

Which ship were you on? We went to Los Lobos on our Prima 5 night from NYC and the food was very flavorful. We had the tableside guacamole appetizer plus chips and salsa. I had the chicken enchilada with mole sauce and the husband had the carne asada meal. I ordered the tres leche cake for dessert which is always too sweet for me, but the churros with a caramel sauce that my husband ordered were excellent. A yummy margarita washed it all down!

On 10/30/2022 at 12:59 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

Which ship were you on? We went to Los Lobos on our Prima 5 night from NYC and the food was very flavorful. We had the tableside guacamole appetizer plus chips and salsa. I had the chicken enchilada with mole sauce and the husband had the carne asada meal. I ordered the tres leche cake for dessert which is always too sweet for me, but the churros with a caramel sauce that my husband ordered were excellent. A yummy margarita washed it all down!

Prima TA.

Seems like a lot of people have different experiences at Los Lobos. I am always surprised when people say the tableside guac is "amazing" because it is just like how I make it at home, except I smash my avocado with a fork on a cutting board. I still really enjoyed it, but wouldn't call it amazing.

The only food that disappointed me on Prima was the duck I had in the Food Hall. It was very tough. I would also like more dessert choices at Hudson's MDR. 

On 10/30/2022 at 1:59 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

... I had the chicken enchilada with mole sauce and the husband had the carne asada meal. ...

We're doing Los Lobos on our first at sea day.  Funny you should mention this.  Until I saw Pati Jinich demonstrate how Mole is made on her PBS show, Pati's Mexican Table, I'd never heard of Mole.  I was a little freaked out when I saw how it basically begins with incinerated peppers.  And evere since then I've been fascinated by it and can't wait to try it.  This was going to be time to do it.

How was it?  I mean, how was the sauce specifically?

5 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:

We're doing Los Lobos on our first at sea day.  Funny you should mention this.  Until I saw Pati Jinich demonstrate how Mole is made on her PBS show, Pati's Mexican Table, I'd never heard of Mole.  I was a little freaked out when I saw how it basically begins with incinerated peppers.  And evere since then I've been fascinated by it and can't wait to try it.  This was going to be time to do it.

How was it?  I mean, how was the sauce specifically?

I thought it was very good. Flavorful but not hot as you might think it would be from the peppers. I am thinking it may have even been a little sweet.

I'm not thrilled DH picked Los Lobos as one of our four specialty meals on another ship, but I just plan to choose my items carefully and be prepared to be underwhelmed. I'm sure it will be fine, as many here have said they were "pleasantly surprised" that it was good. But I'm not counting on being excited by my meal.

• Administrators
On 10/31/2022 at 4:44 PM, beccafries said:

Next to the bean rice what was that meal...looks delish... thanks for sharing!

Oh that was marinated skirt steak (medium rare)  Best beef I had on board, tbh

• Like 1