Why Does HAL Send Out Preliminary Boarding Passes ?

mcrcruiser

For our Dec 10 ,2022 cruise we got  "Preliminary Boarding Passes " sent to us on our account with HAL  . While reading this HAL says that final boarding passes with a bar code will be coming  'which will make boarding so much faster 

My question why  are they being redundant ?  Just send one boarding pass when it is  final  .We have to read & prepare enough with out this extra  no use type of notice 

My guess has been to get the passenger to visit the website in hopes they will purchase packages, shore excursions, etc….   An old retail maxim is the more you see them the bigger the sale.  I effectively used this method for many years 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

My guess has been to get the passenger to visit the website in hopes they will purchase packages, shore excursions, etc….   An old retail maxim is the more you see them the bigger the sale.  I effectively used this method for many years 

Yes   that seems logical  .Just a pain  to see that & not being able to print the final  document  for the cruises  & still wait

42 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

For our Dec 10 ,2022 cruise we got  "Preliminary Boarding Passes " sent to us on our account with HAL  . While reading this HAL says that final boarding passes with a bar code will be coming  'which will make boarding so much faster 

My question why  are they being redundant ?  Just send one boarding pass when it is  final  .We have to read & prepare enough with out this extra  no use type of notice 

I print out the preliminary boarding pass as a backup.  The Navigator app will have the barcode needed to board the ship.

5 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I print out the preliminary boarding pass as a backup.  The Navigator app will have the barcode needed to board the ship.

That's if the Navigator  App   is working   . We read some where   that KAL from time ti time  has had problems with that App working well 

5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

That's if the Navigator  App   is working   . We read some where   that KAL from time ti time  has had problems with that App working well 

Are you confusing Verifly with Navigator?

When we were boarding last Saturday 10/22 in Port Everglades paper boarding passes were not working and you had to go somewhere and get them to print you out a receipt type thing with a barcode on it.  So just be aware you are better off with the app on your phone to get through faster.  Lots of people with paper passes that were very confused and running around.

3 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

When we were boarding last Saturday 10/22 in Port Everglades paper boarding passes were not working and you had to go somewhere and get them to print you out a receipt type thing with a barcode on it.  So just be aware you are better off with the app on your phone to get through faster.  Lots of people with paper passes that were very confused and running around.

That is good advice as long as that Navigator App  is working .I already have it downloaded on my cell phone 

45 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

No  talking about the  Navigator app 

55 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

What does the Navigator have to do with Korean Air Lines?

Roy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I always screenshot my boarding passes from my Navigator app in case the app is not working when we are boarding.

That is very smart, we were screen shooting all kinds of stuff just to be safe and in case there was no internet at some point.  Nav app did get a little crazy in the terminal and decided to log us both out while waiting on line to board!  We got logged back in ok but you never know what will happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

I always screenshot my boarding passes from my Navigator app in case the app is not working when we are boarding.

This ^^.

Or, I make a notes folder for each cruise that includes the "boarding pass", a photo of my passport, the vax card (tho I guess you don't need that anymore...), any boarding info I may need. 

This way, it's right on your phone for quick access. No wifi or app needed, as those can indeed be wonky in the terminal.  People behind you in line will thank you! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Lotsa cruisers are travelling long before the cruise starts. Prelim. Boarding & Luggage Tags are wonderful. 

Yes, but there is no bar code on the boarding pass "long before the cruise" at least on the web wite, which HAL claims they need for check in; I believe bar code appears on the paper boarding pass when a boarding time is assigned, which usually is a few days before boarding.

4 minutes ago, carnivaljunkie said:

I have been on over 20 HAL cruises (4 star Mariner).  Latest was February 2022. I have never had a problem boarding as soon as boarding starts. My assigned boarding time has never been an issue. Has HAL recently been enforcing assigned boarding times?

Dean 

It depends on the port more than the ship.  According to reports California ports are being real sticklers 

Edited by Mary229