Live From The Getaway..... 1-8-2023

Laszlo

21 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

I had been reading a lot that no to go, but saw another table ... Not surprising to me that there is an inconsistency in what can and can't be done from one day to the next/one waiter to the next ...

Thanks for the heads up ...  

With all the reported changes lately, out of words and expressions.  NCL already streamlined the options to 1-1-1 (P voucher) and 1-1-1-1 (SD/FAS package coupon) and petite side dishes - shouldn't be too difficult to finish the dessert.  Coffee/tea (French press) is still complimentary, I hope ... we're comp'd with 2 nice Cappuccino last time at no charge (and, that was above & beyond) 

If we can't finish it, ocean fishery will get treated to the leftover ... "sail and sustain"  /s

6 hours ago, Chesneygirl said:

I thought you were going to St John today…did you change your mind?

We were, then I got online and saw wind and rip tide warnings. Didn’t want to do that far or a commute to sit on the beach, so we just grabbed a cab to Megan’s. Will come back and stay on St Johns for 4-5 days in the future 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:If we can't finish it, ocean fishery will get treated to the leftover ... "sail and sustain"  /s

You know, I’ve been trying so hard to avoid knee-jerk complaints about all these new penny-pinching measures and changes being implemented, and I remind myself how lucky I am to be able to go on nice vacations at all. But this really does irritate me a bit. I know you are joking about the food going in the ocean lol, but by not allowing people to take dessert to go, I do think more will be wasted. If I could take my dessert to my cabin for later on, I’d wait until I was snackish again and probably eat the whole thing on my balcony. If not, I’ll order something because I don’t want to miss out entirely on a dessert I like, but I may only be able to eat a few bites and that’s it. I’d imagine I’m not the only one who may not have room for a whole dessert right at the end of a meal. Given their recent claims that the primary reasons for a lot of these changes is sustainability, it seems silly to enact practices that will increase food waste. Unless, like you said, the smaller portions and limits on ordering give everyone room for dessert anyway…then this is moot lol!

@Laszlo and @cruiseinfoseeker thanks for this wonderful live review! This is not my Getaway itinerary next month, but the info you’re providing about the ship is still super useful!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Dorhead1230 said:

You know, I’ve been trying so hard to avoid knee-jerk complaints about all these new penny-pinching measures and changes being implemented, and I remind myself how lucky I am to be able to go on nice vacations at all. But this really does irritate me a bit. I know you are joking about the food going in the ocean lol, but by not allowing people to take dessert to go, I do think more will be wasted. If I could take my dessert to my cabin for later on, I’d wait until I was snackish again and probably eat the whole thing on my balcony. If not, I’ll order something because I don’t want to miss out entirely on a dessert I like, but I may only be able to eat a few bites and that’s it. I’d imagine I’m not the only one who may not have room for a whole dessert right at the end of a meal. Given their recent claims that the primary reasons for a lot of these changes is sustainability, it seems silly to enact practices that will increase food waste. Unless, like you said, the smaller portions and limits on ordering give everyone room for dessert anyway…then this is moot lol!

@Laszlo and @cruiseinfoseeker thanks for this wonderful live review! This is not my Getaway itinerary next month, but the info you’re providing about the ship is still super useful!

Some of the waste of food I’ve seen on cruises old and new is sickening. People just pile way to much on their plates, had a late lunch in the buffet today, must have seen a dozen plates 3/4 full get tossed out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dorhead1230 said:

I rarely order dessert. Heck, I rarely eat 2 courses in general (unless I'm splitting an app with my husband).    The exception is a tasting menu and each course is smaller portions.  

My husband had gastric sleeve surgery and can't physically eat a lot at one sitting either.   He is good with one app or a shared app with me and half an entrée.  We are not ones to order a bunch of course just because it's part of the package. Which confuses staff, they are always saying "are you sure?  It comes with [blah, blah]".     "Yes,  I'm sure I don't want that much food!"

We both have sweet tooths a few hours after dinner.  I'm disappointed that we would not be able to take a dessert back.   Not the end of the world, but bummed.   Although, we are Haven, so I guess we can eat the afternoon snacks as late night snack.      

2 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

... been trying so hard to avoid knee-jerk complaints about all these new penny-pinching measures and changes being implemented, and I remind myself how lucky I am to be able to go on nice vacations at all. But this really does irritate me a bit. I know you are joking about the food going in the ocean lol ... Unless, like you said, the smaller portions and limits on ordering give everyone room for dessert anyway…then this is moot lol!

Thanks, our cruising with NCL goes back to the Norwegian Sea days, that's 22+ years ago ... Minds being alike, feeling annoyed would adequately describe it.  I commented the other days, life is too short to be critical so bring in a good dose of humor, chill out & a bit of joking around is healthier for almost everyone.  It's no secret that NCL, like other lines, are deep in red in a nutshell - stock trying to rebound.  

Boarding this Friday, have a first hand look ourselves with 3 other pairs of eyes & ears in the group ... We shall see with an open mind.  My feeling is that, with all these taking place, some of the crew members will end up worst off overall, not necessary just from reduced extra cash tipping ... something that we always do, as we see fit.  

What some folks seemed to overlook, after 10 p.m. if one ate SD early & wanting a snack - not even the buffet is open or serving anything.  It is either O'Sheehan's (or, The Local ... and whatever on the Prima/Viva next) and Room Services, for a "nominal charge + 20%"    Ooops, I forget, almost - Haven option.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Some of the waste of food I’ve seen on cruises old and new is sickening. People just pile way to much on their plates, had a late lunch in the buffet today, must have seen a dozen plates 3/4 full get tossed out

I know! You’re so right. I have never understood that—it’s a buffet; you’re allowed to go back. It’s nice to be able to try new dishes from a buffet, but if I do that I take the smallest amount possible figuring if I like it and have room I’ll go get more. Also, I just don’t get piling it up until the food all mingles into one combined indistinguishable mass anyway 🤢😂

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

I rarely order dessert. Heck, I rarely eat 2 courses in general (unless I'm splitting an app with my husband).    The exception is a tasting menu and each course is smaller portions.  

My husband had gastric sleeve surgery and can't physically eat a lot at one sitting either.   He is good with one app or a shared app with me and half an entrée.  We are not ones to order a bunch of course just because it's part of the package. Which confuses staff, they are always saying "are you sure?  It comes with [blah, blah]".     "Yes,  I'm sure I don't want that much food!"

We both have sweet tooths a few hours after dinner.  I'm disappointed that we would not be able to take a dessert back.   Not the end of the world, but bummed.   Although, we are Haven, so I guess we can eat the afternoon snacks as late night snack.      

This is exactly why it would be nice if they are accommodating as long as a person isn’t asking for anything they’re not already entitled to within reason. Heck, you guys aren’t even eating everything you are entitled to, so it would be nice if you could take your dessert to eat when you want. I mean, diners where I live will wrap up dessert that’s included with your dinner to go when you’re too full for it; you’d think the “fine dining” on NCL could work with you 🙄.

I am not personally bothered by the 1-1-1-1, because I have never ordered more than that anyway (combination of I just couldn’t eat more than that and I really try to avoid food waste, even on vacation). But the rigidity is what irks me—like what if someone wanted to use one of their FAS meals and order 3 apps and nothing else, or something like that? It certainly isn’t costing NCL more money that way, so why not let people have a little flexibility? I mean, first-world problems, right? But it just seems like a foolish issue for NCL to choose to get people annoyed about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dorhead1230 said:

This is exactly why it would be nice if they are accommodating as long as a person isn’t asking for anything they’re not already entitled to within reason. Heck, you guys aren’t even eating everything you are entitled to, so it would be nice if you could take your dessert to eat when you want. I mean, diners where I live will wrap up dessert that’s included with your dinner to go when you’re too full for it; you’d think the “fine dining” on NCL could work with you 🙄.

I am not personally bothered by the 1-1-1-1, because I have never ordered more than that anyway (combination of I just couldn’t eat more than that and I really try to avoid food waste, even on vacation). But the rigidity is what irks me—like what if someone wanted to use one of their FAS meals and order 3 apps and nothing else, or something like that? It certainly isn’t costing NCL more money that way, so why not let people have a little flexibility? I mean, first-world problems, right? But it just seems like a foolish issue for NCL to choose to get people annoyed about.

I agree.  I "get" one entrée as they are on average the most expensive course, but is it that big of a deal that someone like my husband wants 2 apps and nothing else?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

I have a suggestion if they won’t let me take anything out. Take a couple, I have some, of plastic containers & bring them with me into the dinning room in a take out bag. I wouldn’t let them see me. Why not. On Princess that’s never been an issue. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

@cruiseinfoseeker  We sincerely appreciate those FS Dailies uploaded, sharp & clear - thanks again.  

As for that fancy "accessory" on the railings - a quick check on Windy App - scratching my head as I don't see anything until, perhaps late Tuesday (tomorrow) night into Wednesday morning but I would be more concerned for Thursday ... with an extra 1/2 day plus, surely ... the bridge can plot a course/heading to do their best to sail around, something is brewing in the North Atlantic surely, as always.

Looks like they are putting on just a show each evening in the main theater ... in a way, it's good to do and plan supper time around it and well before nearly everything close shop after the show & not being rushed.  

4 hours ago, trbarton said:

I have a suggestion if they won’t let me take anything out. Take a couple, I have some, of plastic containers & bring them with me into the dinning room in a take out bag. I wouldn’t let them see me. Why not. On Princess that’s never been an issue. 

Tom😀

Tom, 

That is exactly what I intend on doing, taking a sandwich size ziploc bag to put in my purse & if I don't have room for dessert, I'll pack it up myself and eat it later in the evening.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

@cruiseinfoseeker  We sincerely appreciate those FS Dailies uploaded, sharp & clear - thanks again.  

As for that fancy "accessory" on the railings - a quick check on Windy App - scratching my head as I don't see anything until, perhaps late Tuesday (tomorrow) night into Wednesday morning but I would be more concerned for Thursday ... with an extra 1/2 day plus, surely ... the bridge can plot a course/heading to do their best to sail around, something is brewing in the North Atlantic surely, as always.

Looks like they are putting on just a show each evening in the main theater ... in a way, it's good to do and plan supper time around it and well before nearly everything close shop after the show & not being rushed.  

The only problem with " one show " is that the theater is nearly 100% full, we tried to keep some separation, last night we didn't have that option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not much happening today, just a lazy day in the Haven. I might start going thru some more video, I’ve got some really good snorkeling video of a few wrecks, turtles and rays from Barbados 

3160CA89-6ED6-42E2-AB42-67DCD99FB99F.jpeg

186E7089-D2AF-4C03-98ED-363FEF7530F5.jpeg

8B5B3F7A-84E2-4F39-962F-D3BE31031031.jpeg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I'll admit to being one of those people tossing nearly full plates. I went to the buffet a few times, because Cruise Critic members encouraged me to try different meals as I  am one to call buffet food worse than "pig's slop." 

One day in the buffet, I went to the buffet line, took a small portion of food from what I wanted to try and went to my seat. I then tried a bite of the food, decided it was not worth eating, and went on to the next item. It, too, was not worth it. So, I tried four or five plates worth of food. The last food I tried was the Indian food. It was absolutely worthwhile and edible. 

I'm truly not one to let food go to waste. I'm portly (that's being kind) enough to prove I like food. Heck, I have even gone to Golden Corral and finished the plate. Unless the plate is full of the Indian food or a freshly prepared buffet pepperoni (only) pizza, then the food is just not good. Like not good enough to eat. Like, if I didn't sail in the Haven, I'd only be able to eat at the Main Dining Room. I'm not a fan of O'Sheehan's, though it is edible. 

That's possibly why you see so much food waste. The food is just not good. And that saddens me, because I truly love a buffet. A good buffet. 

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

That's possibly why you see so much food waste. The food is just not good. And that saddens me, because I truly love a buffet. A good buffet. 

Oy. As someone who doesn't think you should have to pay an upcharge for decent food -- set to board this Friday -- this saddens and distresses me. 😟

3 minutes ago, RadioPeri said:

Oy. As someone who doesn't think you should have to pay an upcharge for decent food -- set to board this Friday -- this saddens and distresses me. 😟

As much as I think @cruiseny4lifeis the bee's knees, I do not agree in whole with his assessment of the buffet. 

I generally like a sit down meal for all my mains, but will go to the buffet for a hold me over or lunch on occasion. I'm pretty picky in what I select though as I've learned what tends to just "look good" vs. taste that way over many sailings.

Of course I still make mistakes (I'm talking to you supposed "miso" soup station) but generally I think the buffet is fine if you keep it simple.

• Like 2

On our September cruise on the Joy we were too full to eat the tirimisu in the MDR so asked waiter if we can take it back to our room.  Said no problem.  Put both pieces on one plate with cover and gave us forks and cloth napkins.

That night we nibbled at one piece but still wasn't hungry to eat it all.  Night 2 nibbled again but still didn't finish it.  By night 3 had to leave a note to our steward to discard it.  We didn't want to leave it in the hall outside our cabin.  I hate walking down the halls with trays of food on the floor.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

While @Laszloenjoys a lazy morning in the Haven, I have been enjoying an equally lazy one on that there disarranged looking lounger. 20230117_104634.thumb.jpg.014866195696b18cd160cbff939b9664.jpg

That’s got to be on deck 9. I had 9916 on the Getaway in 2019. Sooo much balcony space ❤️

• Like 1