Metrorail from MIA airport to Brickell stop in down town? Safe?

rene194215

Hi, I have a hotel booked in Brickell and totally forgot about transportation from the airport.  The last time I stayed there was in 2017 I believe and I flew into FLL, and took a reaonably priced shuttle that was $15. I dont want to spend a lot on taxi, and trying to find an Uber driver is just something I dont feel like dealing with at the airport.  So I did research and see there is a metrorail from the airport to downtown and then transfer to the metromover to Brickell and my hotel is like a block from there.  

My questions, is it safe?  This would be at 3pm so during the day.  Also, how far of a walk is it?  I am sure to get to the station at MIA its going to be a little.  I fly in on Southwest and I think that is terminal G.  I am trying to do this cruise fairly inexpensive and thought this would also be fun.  I like riding trains especially into NYC.  

Any insode information would be appriciated!  Thank you!!

Edited by rene194215

Not sure of the hotel and what month you will be there, but Miami is generally not a walking city like NYC is.  Another issue is luggage.  Dragging a couple bags is tough in the heat and humidity.  Yes, it's doable and yes it's safe at 3PM.  If you budgeted $50 for the trip from the ship to MIA, then $50 is plenty for MIA to Brickell.  

I'd rather get there safe and quickly.  

Agreed with all that it is safe, but given the low cost of a taxi or even cheaper Uber ride, not sure if it is worth the hassle. 

The Metrorail Station is connect to the airport rental car facility, you take a tram to the rental car facility and follow signs to station. It will take twice if not three times as long if you don't have good timing with he trains than just doing a 20-25 minute $20 Uber ride. 

1) Follow signs in terminal for "Miami Mover" train. It's a bit of a walk.

2) Take "Miami Mover" train from airport station to Rental Car Center. Free.

3) Take MetroRail train from Miami Airport Station to Government Center station or Brickell station downtown. $2.25  (Depends on where your hotel is.) 

4) If your hotel is walking distance from the Brickell Metrorail station, get off there. If it's closer to one of the MetroMover stations, get off at Government Center station and switch to the Metromover Brickell Line and get off at the station closest to your hotel. FREE

Metromover system map.png

We stayed in Brickell a few weeks ago at the Novotell.

Great, quiet location, with a Publix just across the street. (made to order subs from their deli is much cheaper than any restaurant nearby)

In the morning we walked up to 8th for fresh bagels....they were fresh, but bread-like, not chewy enough. A New Yorker wouldn't be happy.

We felt safe the entire time.

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

We stayed in Brickell a few weeks ago at the Novotell.

Great, quiet location, with a Publix just across the street. (made to order subs from their deli is much cheaper than any restaurant nearby)

In the morning we walked up to 8th for fresh bagels....they were fresh, but bread-like, not chewy enough. A New Yorker wouldn't be happy.

We felt safe the entire time.

@CineGraphic glad you enjoyed the area.  And you are 100% right about the bagels at Toasted.  When they first opened, they were pretty good but something changed and they are nothing like NY bagels! 

I rode the Metrorail and Metromover five days a week to and from work for 13 years and never had a problem.   If you are able to wheel your luggage, you'll be fine.  There are elevators at both stations (although very, very slow.....).  They were safe, especially during the day when downtown office workers were the main passengers.  The security and police ride the cars and make their presence known and they are always somewhere around the platforms.