Guest in Lounges

addie

20 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

IIRC, once you unlink, your status is supposed to drop to your point level (other than kids that inherited their status from parent(s)).  Otherwise, you could "transfer" your status to a different SO every month.

Nope, the status level does NOT drop.  But the person drops to the actual points level.

So as D, you link to Person A and take a 4 night cruise with them.  They are D.  You unlink.  They remain D, but have 171 points to go to get to D+

It is a HUGE hole in their program.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Here is the policy in a nutshell

Spouses/significant others and minor children are granted status of family member with higher status for all levels except Pinnacle. 

Only Spouses/ significant others are granted Pinnacle status.

Adult children/relatives/cabin mates/friends are not granted the superior status and can not enjoy the benefits granted.

When minor children turn 18 they are allowed to keep any previously granted status, but revert to their 'earned' points to move up to the next level.

What I don't know, and this is very gray, is what happens to a previously granted status when a C&A member severs their relationship with a Spouse/significant other. I guess it depends on if the lead person contacts C&A and raises a stink about it. 😉

That's about it. 

Exactly.

And reports in the past are the the unlinked spouse/SO maintains the status level, but keeps their own points level.

15 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

True but from the reports I have read here, the Diamond Lounge sounds like a nice quiet place for a small group to gather and hang out with each other.  I know we like the peace and quiet of the lounges. 

Peace and quiet in the DL?   Never witnessed that in the last few years.  😮  With the DL getting smaller on even the largest ships, and D+ (and sometimes Pinnies) excluded from the CL/SL...it can be a very crowded noisy place...most of the day. 

Edited by island lady

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Personally, I would love to unlink. I would then get more blocks and more free cruises as I hit the 1050, 1400, and 1750 levels on my own. I think I'm close to 900 'actual' now

I thought your 1400 award presentation was very nice.  I am glad they took you  back to the stage for that photo on Odyssey.  🙂  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Nope, the status level does NOT drop.  But the person drops to the actual points level.

So as D, you link to Person A and take a 4 night cruise with them.  They are D.  You unlink.  They remain D, but have 171 points to go to get to D+

It is a HUGE hole in their program.

There was a long thread on this last summer or older. This is what, at least anecdotal evidence suggests. Once granted a specific level through inheritance or linking, you never loose it and can then pass that status on to whoever you link with.

I agree, it's a huge hole and makes no logical sense. As-is, it's infinitely transferrable.

If a person/couple earns diamond plus, their minor children get Diamond plus, even if they've only sailed once. Ok, that's fine. Once they become adults, they are still D+, but have to use their own, actual, points to become Pinnacle. That makes sense.

But here's where they loose me. Apparently, when those kids get married, their spouses also get D+ status, even if they've never sailed before. And further, if they have kids, those kids also get D+ status. Even if the initial offspring still only has 14 points, and the spouse 0-7. And so on and so on.

Also in that thread, while the official terms & conditions state that Pinnacle must be earned and not inherited, but a spouse will be granted Pinnacle status (this part I totally agree with). There was more than one reply that seemed to indicate that a spouse of a Pinnacle never seems to loose that status. Not if they sail alone, not if the original Pinnacle passes away, and not if they get divorced. And pretty sure it was stated (again, anecdotally), that if they got re-married, that their new spouse was then also granted Pinnacle.

Makes no sense. They really need to re-think this.

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

There was no exception, it's how it works. Just accept it.😉

Damn, that's exactly what I said, "Okaaaaaaaay!  What's interesting, it's not an exception in that case.  It's according to policy".  Post #64

Just now, Ret MP said:

Damn, that's exactly what I said, "Okaaaaaaaay!  What's interesting, it's not an exception in that case.  It's according to policy".  Post #64

Sorry, at one point you thought it was an exception 😉 

That was my basis of my reply

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SRF said:

I agree it is a huge hole.  But obviously it makes sense to Royal.

The thinking seems to be that having these people with such high status encourages them to sail Royal if they ever sail at all.

I suspect it is more likely it happens in spite of what they actually want.  Their IT struggles to track and make such changes and taking away status gets some folks upset. So they just can’t do anything about it (or. IT system insufficient to do the job) they and don’t have the desire/will to make it a strategic priority.   

It’s like govt entitlements and voter rolls all mixed in one.  Many states have struggled to update voter rolls and politicians typically don’t survive long recommending a reduction in benefits.  Royal has both issues simultaneously with the loophole.  

I suspect there will be way too many high status individuals in the future due to these loop holes.  How they deal with it remains to be seen.  But it could be a big PR problem for them if they don’t pull off the bandaid now while it is just a small problem.  

53 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry, at one point you thought it was an exception 😉 

That was my basis of my reply

I think you hit the nail on the head there.  Bias at work here.  If people take the premise of everything I posted, they would conclude that I was just looking for "Documented Official Policy" by Royal.  I never stated one way or another about the policy (other than in some of it, I totally agree with some of it), I just quoted it, Copied, and Pasted it.  And then asked for more Documented Official Policy to back up what some are saying, and I also gave what I thought (a thought is not an argument) was the interpretation of some things.  That's not to say that I disagree/am arguing with anyone about it, just looking for documented clarification.  I just don't see the documentation.  As someone says, Status and Benefit work hand in hand, I just don't see it (not that I disagree with it) in the policy.   Why?  Because the policy states in at least one section that Family and Friends are not authorized in the Diamond Lounge if they are not Diamond or above.  Again, I'm not arguing, I'm looking for documented proof that backs up one side or the other.  BUT, I'M NOT TAKING SIDES!  I'm, again and again, just looking for Official Documentation that spells out the difference between Status and Benefit.  I'll not go back and answer each post that was posted since last night. Because I think this sums up my quest and maybe some of the misunderstandings.  For those of you who think you are talking about a wall, you are talking to a guy who has an open mind, at least about this, and was/is just looking, again, for documentation, not just, "because I said so".

Having said all that, I spent some time, this morning, looking at the policy and looking at the part where it says, "Friends and Family" can't enter the Diamond Lounge, it could and probably should be interpreted as those friends and family members (family members not in the same household or otherwise authorized the award of the status) that haven't been awarded Diamond or above. My children that have not earned status but get it because of me or my wife will be awarded Diamond status strictly because of my or my wife's status, earned or not, and therefore authorized into the Diamond Lounge.  But, friends that haven't earned Diamond status can't be brought into the lounge just because you/I are Diamond or above.

I also thing that I could have worded many things differently and more clearly and in many cases, I rushed to post.  That is my fault.  BUT, I think many people are only reading portions or the first sentence or two of my posts.  For example, did anybody read this in post #51:  "(and I freely admit that my interpretation/logic could be totally wrong)"?

BTW, I did emailed questions to Royal about this.  It usually takes up to weeks for them to respond.  I don't do Facebook so I'm not going there.

Edited by Ret MP

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Oasis used to be that way also. But back then it was a CL.

Can't imagine a religious ceremony held up there, but thanks. 

Probably not because they also used to have a Chapel before the CK retrofit.  That was the timing for when the CL was converted and the DL moved if I’m remembering correctly.   I still miss the old DL on the promenade.  It was great having both the CL or the DL in great locations.  And back then you could enjoy beers/wine with lunch in the CL.  That was quite the perk before drink packages and vouchers existed.  

• Like 1

Just now, beachnag said:

Why would kids want to go the the Diamond lounge  it is a quiet place to sit and drink coffee.

That's what I hear.  I haven't been in one yet.  I have been in the Suite's Lounge many times and thought it to be very Quuuiiiiiit

2 minutes ago, beachnag said:

Why would kids want to go the the Diamond lounge  it is a quiet place to sit and drink coffee.

Maybe because they are with their parents who are getting coffee.  Maybe because they are diamond and might prefer to read there as well (ex a teenager).  The Allure Diamond lounge is huge and a beautiful space.  My kids loved it.  

The Diamond lounges aren’t always so quiet btw, and that has zero to do with kids.  

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

Probably not because they also used to have a Chapel before the CK retrofit.  That was the timing for when the CL was converted and the DL moved if I’m remembering correctly.   I still miss the old DL on the promenade.  It was great having both the CL or the DL in great locations.  And back then you could enjoy beers/wine with lunch in the CL.  That was quite the perk before drink packages and vouchers existed.  

Oasis tried a DL in the dining room before they moved it back to deck 11

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Oasis tried a DL in the dining room before they moved it back to deck 11

Ever since the retrofits on Oasis I’ve either been Sky or star class.  So I haven’t  stepped in the DL on Oasis since maybe 2013 or 14.  Once I did sky class and experienced the CK/SL, it was hard

to go back.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, beachnag said:

We have seen kids many times because it is a less chaotic place for parents to take kids.  Some DL are much better at having some kind of food present all day long, whether it is continental breakfast in the morning, cookies and small sandwiches at lunch, and hot/cold appetizers at happy hour along with some small desserts.

I might be .We walked toward an end of the ship,I cannot recall the deck.There were crew members outside the entrance to the lounge checking sea pass cards.We said we are going to the religious service and we were allowed in.It was a right turn for approximately 20 feet .After we exited our friends called to us and we sat with them .They referred to the lounge solely as the DL.