Watching football in public spaces

QARandy

We will be on the New Statendam this week. I don’t know of any kind of sports bar aboard but are there any public areas that show college or NFL games? Can you watch any games in your stateroom? 
I have gleaned a lot of information from CC and want to thank people for their help. Keep up the good work. 

1 hour ago, QARandy said:

I don’t know of any kind of sports bar aboard but are there any public areas that show college or NFL games? Can you watch any games in your stateroom? 

I don't remember seeing any public areas with a TV on the Nieuw Statendam. Your cabin does have a TV with a station for special events, which is where you will find any football games the ship is carrying. 
IIRC, there are ESPN stations, so the games they normally carry will also be broadcast. 

They probably will show a game on the pool screen. The on-demand channels have a channel on which you can watch games in cabin. Either one of the two special event channels (100? or 200). The on-demand sports channel usually has soccer or cricket games and the bar usually has soccer but not sure they couldn't change it if everyone agrees. We were disappointed they didn't broadcast the World Series but I'm sure TV rights were not given. 

One of the “misses” on the ship is the lack of capacity to use the Billboard lounge TVs for anything but Billboard’s trivia. The screens are all networked, but they didn’t set it up where there is a connection to the satellite feed.  Had they done that, the room could easily be a sports bar on the night(s) the dueling pianos are dark.

• Like 1

On the Westerdam (yes, smaller than the New Statendam, every weekend we have 6 NFL games broadcast on our stateroom TVs. When they are during daytime hours (we are 18 hours behind EST now), a couple of them are broadcast in the Gallery Bar.

I must add that the best every was when the 2020 Super Bowl was broadcast in the Main Stage while we were in Antarctica, and my KC Chiefs won!

Edited by WriterOnDeck

Please do not get me wrong; I enjoy watching football.  But I swear the very last place I ever want to watch a football game is at sea. 

I don't want to be around That Guy (or Gal, or That Them) who talks smack about their favorite sports team any more than I want to be around someone who is wearing a political statement shirt.  I've seen too many fights over stuff like this.  Way, wayyyyy too many, and it's just wholly unappealing anymore.

• Like 1

I'm on the Nieuw Statendam this week. At the Lido deck big-screen TV, they showed NFL games at 4 PM Sunday, the 8 PM Sunday Night game, and the Monday night game. There were quite a few chairs for the evening games, and no one was being really loud and obnoxious. And that's even with one of the games involving the Packers-Cowboys fan base. The only glitch was when the first Sunday afternoon game was turned on - the volume was set way too loud. But after a couple of minutes the crew finally adjusted it to a reasonable level.

11 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

Please do not get me wrong; I enjoy watching football.  But I swear the very last place I ever want to watch a football game is at sea. 

I don't want to be around That Guy (or Gal, or That Them) who talks smack about their favorite sports team any more than I want to be around someone who is wearing a political statement shirt.  I've seen too many fights over stuff like this.  Way, wayyyyy too many, and it's just wholly unappealing anymore.

If one's team is in the playoff hunt or the playoffs there is great interest.   I hope to be bringing my Ravens swag on the Grand SA.   

14 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

I work on Sundays because the husband yells at the TV when he’s watching football.  Which irritates me to no end.   

I’m looking up his team’s schedule right now and will book a salon treatment for that time. 😂😂

• Like 2