Due money back from MSC - Best way to obtain

tbmrt

I cruised on the 11/6 cruise from Pt. Canaveral.  Had booked Rock Circus on MSC site through my Web checkin ($12 each).  Show was cancelled due to technical difficulties.  Still no refund on this money.  I tried writing MSC Customer Service, but no response.  

My friend is owed quite a bit of money back from MSC also and it hasn't been received yet.  Has called MSC numerous times.

Would appreciate info on best way to obtain our refunds from MSC.  

If the original payment was on a credit card, they say it can take up to 2 billing cycles for the credit to show up. I booked an excursion in September for my upcoming cruise in January, then canceled it a few hours later. The charge was made on the card, immediately, but it took 3-4 weeks for the credit to be posted. I had a similar experience on my May cruise with Carnival, so it’s not just MSC that takes a while to post the credit.

It’s also possible the credit was applied to your folio while on the cruise. Check your final printout from the cruise and make sure it is not shown there.

Edited by JT1962

I would say to not hold your breath.  I am still waiting for a refund on a wifi plan going back to September.  Onboard they said "no problem, it'll get refunded" and I literally just laughed at them.  (This was Yacht Club, mind you).

I did an MSC cruise in July for which I originally purchased their extra Covid coverage, but then immediately cancelled it when I noticed that they had just stopped requiring it. 

I didn’t receive the refund until the end of October (more than 3 months after the cruise), and this seems to be perfectly normal practice for MSC. I don’t think calling them a lot speeds it up, either.

In the OP’s case (as others have said) I would have made more effort to get refunded on board. I’m sure they would say it was a web booking so has to be handled shoreside, but then I would insist that they contact shoreside on my behalf and give me a copy of the message.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

If the original payment was on a credit card, they say it can take up to 2 billing cycles for the credit to show up.

My longest "2 billing cycles" wait was 5 months. 

My shortest "2 billing cycles" wait was less than 2 weeks. 

MSC does things the MSC way.....

loader.gif

We had a tour where the bus broke down, not only stranding us on an incredibly hot and humid day, with no air conditioning, but as luck would have it, it broke down diagonally across the main road in Saint Martin. That meant that while we sat there, sweating our butts off, cars were blocked in both directions by our bus and police had to be summoned.   Everyone was pissed off and honking their horns at us, it was a nightmare.

While on board, I contacted customer service who refused to help me. I also contacted the shore excursion desk, who refused to help me, and then, after the cruise I contacted MSC customer service, and they too refused to help me. I’m still not sure why, because I think it was a pretty legitimate situation, and of course I had photos and videos from inside the stranded sweltering bus.

But the point is that if something like this happens again, I will make sure to raise even more hell to get it credited while on board, because it can be very difficult to get it credited after the fact.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:41 AM, tbmrt said:

I cruised on the 11/6 cruise from Pt. Canaveral.  Had booked Rock Circus on MSC site through my Web checkin ($12 each).  Show was cancelled due to technical difficulties.  Still no refund on this money.  I tried writing MSC Customer Service, but no response.  

My friend is owed quite a bit of money back from MSC also and it hasn't been received yet.  Has called MSC numerous times.

I was on the same cruise as you.

We also prepurchased the two shows. When they were cancelled we went to guest services to see how refunds would be handled and were advised like you that because we prepurchased we would have to email customer service after the cruise. They would not refund to our onboard account, only those who purchased on the ship could get this refund.

I emailed customer service with all the information required and have not heard anything back, even a message saying that refund is in progress.

A bit disappointing as we had a wonderful cruise. Food was good, staff were friendly ..... but this has been poorly handled.

9 hours ago, MainStreetMouse said:

I was on the same cruise as you.

We also prepurchased the two shows. When they were cancelled we went to guest services to see how refunds would be handled and were advised like you that because we prepurchased we would have to email customer service after the cruise. They would not refund to our onboard account, only those who purchased on the ship could get this refund.

I emailed customer service with all the information required and have not heard anything back, even a message saying that refund is in progress.

A bit disappointing as we had a wonderful cruise. Food was good, staff were friendly ..... but this has been poorly handled.

Still nothing, but my friend finally got a credit back for money from a mixup by MSC that happened about  two months before her cruise with us.  It was a much more sizable amount than the $24 due me.

We didn't have good experiences with our cabin steward, the Maitre D nor our waiter and his assistant. Never had this happen before...Never did get to see our cabin steward even when disembarking to say goodbye/collect his tip. Same with waiter and assistant...Never introduced themselves or came to say goodbye.  I think they were all overworked due to limited staff for the large amount of people on our cruise.  From reading reviews, things went fine for cruisers on this ship with a lesser amount of people were on it. I'm hoping this situation improves since I loved the ship and the entertainment. 

We also now know that it is imperative to buy the drink package at the time we book our reservation if we ever rebook a 3 night cruise.   Our TA, MSC, and various boards and groups indicated that we could wait to purchase these.  So we and many others on our cruise were surprised to be told at embarkation that MSC changed their policy to not permitting drink packages for 3 night cruises to be bought onboard.  The charges for drinks, specialty coffee and water really added  up.

Maybe your TA can assist you? We booked direct and will have to work this out on our own.

This was our first MSC cruise and we had read some negative things before going so perhaps our expectations were lower but we really enjoyed the cruise.

We did select the offer that included the drinks / wifi package so we were lucky to have have that and did take good advantage of it on the ship and Ocean Cay.

We did go to two of the three shows in the main theatre but decided to skip it on the last night, while the shows were good, they were similar, just different music themes and lacked variety.

Only one incident that really rubbed us the wrong way and it was not staff, rather a Yacht Club passenger who took over the full elevator we were on. I know it is a YC perk but she laughed that she could do it and the privilege she had. She was very arrogant in her approach to everyone on the elevator. 

Be persistent and decide if the $12 is worth it.  Honestly, it is the principle.

I had a cruise cancelled due to Covid.  I don't remember how long it took but I would not be surprised if it was six months or more.  I was patient though and was not calling as much as I should have.  I did finally get my money back (and it was a lot since it was fare and tax).  Keep your records and keep calling.  Eventually the US team reached out to the Italian team while I was on the phone, their way of elevating the situation, and it was refunded within a couple of weeks.  

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:41 AM, tbmrt said:

Last week I finally got a $1000 check for an over charge that occurred in 2020.

It took my current TA using their rep to finally get it done.

Keep in mind I had it in writing from MSC that it was an error on "thier" part and it will be corrected right after I made final payment. 2 years later.

37 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Last week I finally got a $1000 check for an over charge that occurred in 2020.

It took my current TA using their rep to finally get it done.

Keep in mind I had it in writing from MSC that it was an error on "thier" part and it will be corrected right after I made final payment. 2 years later.

Honestly at that point they owe you interest!

23 hours ago, 9876 said:

Be persistent and decide if the $12 is worth it.  Honestly, it is the principle.

I had a cruise cancelled due to Covid.  I don't remember how long it took but I would not be surprised if it was six months or more.  I was patient though and was not calling as much as I should have.  I did finally get my money back (and it was a lot since it was fare and tax).  Keep your records and keep calling.  Eventually the US team reached out to the Italian team while I was on the phone, their way of elevating the situation, and it was refunded within a couple of weeks.  

If I was in that situation I would fight it for the principle too! 

Once a management company owed my window cleaning business  $10. I tried quite a while to get it. I did finally give up, but every time I see a CB Richard Ellis sign I think “They owe me ten bucks” lol

Well they owe me $48. Two shows at $12 each for my wife and I.

So I have not received a reply to my email from last week so today I decided to call the customer service number.

Spoke to a representative who said she did not know how to handle this and would need to speak with her manager. She put me on hold and returned about 10 minutes later advising her manager was in a  meeting and she would call me back as soon as she got out of the meeting.

Well I never did get a call back and customer service hours are now closed for the day.

13 hours ago, MainStreetMouse said:

Well they owe me $48. Two shows at $12 each for my wife and I.

So I have not received a reply to my email from last week so today I decided to call the customer service number.

Spoke to a representative who said she did not know how to handle this and would need to speak with her manager. She put me on hold and returned about 10 minutes later advising her manager was in a  meeting and she would call me back as soon as she got out of the meeting.

Well I never did get a call back and customer service hours are now closed for the day.

I have over a 100 sr numbers and a couple dozen manager will calls and never ever happened on several items.

I was lucky the TA rep handled it but between my 5 booked cruises and a family cruise, we do have $100,000+ worth of bookings.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been over 6 weeks since the cruise and I still have not received a refund.

This makes no sense. I paid for two shows, MSC canceled the shows due to techincal difficulties and does not refund those who purchased.

Reading in one of the facebook groups this seems to be happening to others.

Very disssapointed with MSC right now. 

So this week the Houdini show was cancelled "for technical reasons" so I made arrangements to go to the "Rock Show" in lieu of, having read of these stories of never getting refunded.  

However, when my kayaking tour (pre booked) was cancelled due to rough seas, my $ was credited back to my on board account almost immediately.... but then another problem came up.  Security held me up at the crazy disembarkation today I had a $2.90 CREDIT balance on my account.  They wanted me to go to Customer Service and sign a waiver or something giving up the credit.  Took a bit to straighten out but there was no way I was going to go to Cust Svc to do that. 

2 hours ago, MainStreetMouse said:

It's been over 6 weeks since the cruise and I still have not received a refund.

This makes no sense. I paid for two shows, MSC canceled the shows due to techincal difficulties and does not refund those who purchased.

Reading in one of the facebook groups this seems to be happening to others.

Very disssapointed with MSC right now. 

They don't care as I have said. Once you stepped off the ship, its pretty much gone. I would and have disputed it with my credit card.  Now don't do a partial dispute, but a full dispute because you have only 1 charge for all.    

My experience is that they don't care and wont challenge your dispute unless its a big number.

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

They don't care as I have said. Once you stepped off the ship, its pretty much gone. I would and have disputed it with my credit card.  Now don't do a partial dispute, but a full dispute because you have only 1 charge for all.    

My experience is that they don't care and wont challenge your dispute unless its a big number.

No I have two charges. One for the cruise itself and then a couple of weeks later I purchased the show tickets and have a separate receipt for that. 

I will begin the cc dispute for the shows. 

Terrible customer service to end what otherwise was a very nice cruise.

Chances of me recommending MSC to others, not likely anymore because of this.

11 hours ago, MainStreetMouse said:

Terrible customer service to end what otherwise was a very nice cruise.

Chances of me recommending MSC to others, not likely anymore because of this.

I have been preaching that for quite some time now.

Until they make me whole, I will continue my rant.

Great product,lousy CS and IT.