Tips on protecting valuables when in port/beach/excursion?

NJRonbo

For us it is easy; DW is a swimmer while I am not. She swims, I watch our stuff.

Actually, on our very first port on our very first cruise, I do not remember the port name, but we went to Nice. (You could also go to Cannes or Monaco.) After visiting museums, she went for a swim in the Mediterranean. She plopped our stuff down near some topless French (at least I assume they were French) women. I admit to having been distracted! 😊

And if this makes me a dirty old man, what can I say. I am an American.  🤣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

So, if I am understanding correctly, I can bring a scanned copy of my passport or Drivers License while in port, leaving the originals in the safe.

My other concerns...

1. When in port, I would think everyone likes to bring their phone to take photos,.  But what do you do with that phone when at the beach and you decide to go swimming?  How can you protect it from theft?  My first guess would be a wearable waterproof protector.

2. Same scenario as above when swimming.  How do you protect your beach bag and whatever is inside from being stolen?  Is this even an issue to be concerned about?

Any other tips some experienced cruisers may have would be appreciated.

I take pictures with a camera.I have a waterproof case that I can put everything necessary in.

13 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

True.  However, this is a cruise forum and I generally don't go to foreign beaches with my iPhone unless I am arriving by ship or otherwise.

Just looking to see how some cruisers are protecting their valuables.

Thanks for the help

I will be using a waterproof case that goes around my neck.  Passport and phone in it

15 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

So, if I am understanding correctly, I can bring a scanned copy of my passport or Drivers License while in port, leaving the originals in the safe.

My other concerns...

1. When in port, I would think everyone likes to bring their phone to take photos,.  But what do you do with that phone when at the beach and you decide to go swimming?  How can you protect it from theft?  My first guess would be a wearable waterproof protector.

2. Same scenario as above when swimming.  How do you protect your beach bag and whatever is inside from being stolen?  Is this even an issue to be concerned about?

1.  I have a waterproof camera I use onshore.  The strap stays on my wrist, even in the water.  I don't use my phone when cruising, so it stays onboard (in the safe).

2.  My beach bag just has beach towel, sunscreen, sunglasses.  I don't bring valuables to the beach.

The other thing - when on shore, MOST ports only require ship's ID and a photo ID (confirming you are the person whose name is on the ship's ID) to enter port area/reboard ship.  Generally driver's license and ship's ID is a plastic card (much like a credit card).  Those items I can put in my swimsuit while onshore , as they both can get wet.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

For us it is easy; DW is a swimmer while I am not. She swims, I watch our stuff.

Actually, on our very first port on our very first cruise, I do not remember the port name, but we went to Nice. (You could also go to Cannes or Monaco.) After visiting museums, she went for a swim in the Mediterranean. She plopped our stuff down near some topless French (at least I assume they were French) women. I admit to having been distracted! 😊

And if this makes me a dirty old man, what can I say. I am an American.  🤣

Brought back some fond memories...

Almost 40 years ago, I was backpacking through Europe...got off the train in Nice...it was almost 1am and I was too cheap to stay at a hotel...decided to sleep on that rocky beach. I woke up surrounded by topless women...I thought I died and went to heaven. :classic_smile:

* my apologies to the OP...just wanted to share my story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Brought back some fond memories...

Almost 40 years ago, I was backpacking through Europe...got off the train in Nice...it was almost 1am and I was too cheap to stay at a hotel...decided to sleep on that rocky beach. I woke up surrounded by topless women...I thought I died and went to heaven. :classic_smile:

* my apologies to the OP...just wanted to share my story.

That first port stop where we went to Nice is still one of our best, if not best, do it yourself excursions. In addition to that beach part, the 2 museums we went to were Matisse and Chagall. DW was (now retired) an art teacher.

The only negative was DW said the place where she changed into her swimsuit (not topless) was the most vile place she was ever in. I believe it was a bathroom that was basically a hole in the ground. 😒

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That first port stop where we went to Nice is still one of our best, if not best, do it yourself excursions. In addition to that beach part, the 2 museums we went to were Matisse and Chagall. DW was (now retired) an art teacher.

I visited the Van Gogh Museum.

25 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I did not realize there was one in Nice. We have been to the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. 

After visiting Monaco/Monte Carlo, I got back on the train...short ride along the coast, south of Nice...a small museum.

(Being a retired senior citizen now. I may have to get help from Google :classic_smile:.)

* Art is a hidden passion. My family knows me as a die-hard sports fan...what most of them don't know is I've visited a few (ok, more than a few), of the world's best museums. My obscure knowledge of paintings and artist only comes out during trivia. 

Art is a hidden passion. My family knows me as a die-hard sports fan...what most of them don't know is I've visited a few (ok, more than a few), of the world's best museums.

Similar.... Once went to the Louvre to see what all the fuss was about ... thought it was so- so until I hit the Greco-Roman sculptures  ... took my breath away.

Next shoreside jaunt is Florence... they were closed when I last went there .. followed by Naples ... some amazing stuff there.

On topic.. friend of mine has the cheapest camera phone he can afford and uses that. No sim card fitted.

Personally I don't do beaches .... my camera case is attached to a military style tactical belt, which also has a empty pouch on it. .... unless I forget to take the dogs pooh bags out of it 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

After visiting Monaco/Monte Carlo, I got back on the train...short ride along the coast, south of Nice...a small museum.

(Being a retired senior citizen now. I may have to get help from Google :classic_smile:.)

* Art is a hidden passion. My family knows me as a die-hard sports fan...what most of them don't know is I've visited a few (ok, more than a few), of the world's best museums. My obscure knowledge of paintings and artist only comes out during trivia. 

I had no passion for art, but now that I am married for 45 years to an art teacher (just retired), things have changed.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:28 AM, NJRonbo said:

My other concerns...

You usually don't need your passport or license in port (a few locations or excursions may require ID); no need even for a copy ... just be back on board with a couple hours to spare.  Few people stay out 'til the last-last-minute anyway.  

Pick up a disposable camera.  No one will bother to steal it.  

No one wants your beach bag, towel or sunscreen. 

Don't wear any jewelry.  

If you feel you must bring valuables to the beach, an around-the-neck waterproof container is probably your best option. 

I always make sure my husband has swim trunks with a zippered pocket, and he carries our ship ID, a couple dollars and a credit card.  He puts a safety pin on his pocket to make it harder to access.  

Consider going to the beach with a group ... your fellow cruisers aren't likely to be thieves.  You can contact people on your future cruise through this board. 

If you feel you must bring valuables to the beach, an around-the-neck waterproof container is probably your best option. 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:02 AM, miched said:

Be aware of anyone that approaches you to sell something. 

We were waiting in a bar patio at a resort in Mexico waiting to check in.  We were having a drink at a table that was next to the beach.   Our friend took off his shoes and walked in the sand to the water.  While he was away we were approached by a hawk trying to sell us a timeshare.     

Our friend came back and couldn’t find his shoes.   Apparently when the person was standing next to our table he slipped his feet into the shoes and then walked away with them. 

The thieves are pros and know all the tricks to take sometime while you are looking at them. They are like the illusionists.  They can make stuff disappear in front of you.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Well, I wouldn't have thought anyone would steal your shoes!  

I do remember being on a cruise line's private island (Disney?) and seeing a bunch of used shoes for sale in the straw market.  I assumed they were shoes previous passengers had left behind.  Maybe I was wrong!  

On 11/17/2022 at 9:39 AM, AbbyCruiser45 said:

I use this beach bag: https://www.kyssbag.com/product-page/large-kyss-ii-bag

It is 100% not theft proof, bolt cutter can easily cut through the chain I'm sure. I think the hope is that a thief wants to take easy things and not make a scene, so they would probably just go to the next bag. I like that it's large, because it's just my bag for the day. Fits a towel, 4 celebrity water bottles, sunscreen, etc.  

I agree these bags CAN be opened ... but the idea is to make the thief keep walking /keep looking for an easier target.