Looking for recent experiece with Princess insurance

PaperSniper4

We always get very good medical, evacuation, trip interruption, etc travel insurance with a non-cruise line company. However, we could not get CFAR insurance for a Princess cruise we just booked for March 2023. My TA said we could get Princess insurance for $69. Sounds like a bargain as long as it contains the CFAR clause (75% of paid fees in the form of a FCC). I am concerned mainly about ME deciding to cancel around 2-4 weeks prior to sailing for a NON covered reason. I am fine with the FCC....but want to know how long that FCC is valid. I called my TA at least once asking him to confirm the $69 pp cost; he did. Also asked him about the CFAR clause. He directed me to Princess.com, which indicates the cost is 8% (get premium coverage at standard rate because we'd Princess Platinum) of the trip's cancellation cost as of the date I cancel. That's far different from the $69 he gave me. I asked him again to verify with Princess, he again said it's $69.

In frustration I called Princess today to get the correct information (I know, but I can dream, right?). The Princess agent could not tell me the cost of the insurance, including his inability to confirm the $69 my TA said, and the agent did not know how long the FCC is valid....said it's "usually around 1 to 2 years".

Does anyone have any hard information on:

1.  Cost of the Princess Vacation Protection (aka Princess insurance) costs?

2. If one CFAR, how long is the FCC valid?

Thanks. I don't need any coverage except for the CFAR as outlined in paragraph 1, but I'd sure like to get CFAR coverage, especially at $69 per person. Remember when we didn't need to be an attorney to cruise?😉

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4
mispell

• PaperSniper4 changed the title to Looking for recent experiece with Princess insurance

You should be able to see the insurance cost in your cruise planner as it’s something you can still purchase prior to sailing. If can’t see it, you can do a mock booking on website to check insurance cost.  

I recently added insurance to my Jan cruise it was exactly 8% of cruise fare $47.84 for cruise fare $598.  In the past they use to run up $ to nearest ‘9.

I don’t have any experience with #2 to help. 

Do a mock booking in the website. Go as far a payment. Choose Platinum insurance- CFAR. To see correct price.

FCC are usually for 1 year but things can change any time- look it up on Princess website.  Those answering phones are not much help.

Standard insurance is 8% of cruise fare -75% FCC for CFAR. Platinum is 12% of cruse fare- 100% FCC for CFAR ( Captain Circle Platinum and Elite pay the 8% and receive Platinum insurance). 

FCC typically good for 12 months, requested extensions may be granted at Princess discretion. 

https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-vacation-protection/

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, bigeagle12 said:

Never by insurance from cruise line. Shop multiple companies and options at insuremytrip dot com. 

There is no basis for that advice. Sometimes cruise line sponsored insurance can be a cost-effective choice because the premium is not based on age as it is with third-party policies.

Also, cruise lines often add a Cancel For Any Reason provision at no extra cost. The reimbursement is in FCC rather than cash, but that is often an acceptable trade-off for people who cruise often.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Babr said:

There is no basis for that advice. Sometimes cruise line sponsored insurance can be a cost-effective choice because the premium is not based on age as it is with third-party policies.

Also, cruise lines often add a Cancel For Any Reason provision at no extra cost. The reimbursement is in FCC rather than cash, but that is often an acceptable trade-off for people who cruise often.

And if you have a covered reason for Canceling you would get the cash back.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Really?  Checking out multiple companies certainly makes complete sense to me.  I check the cruise line insurance AND call the insurance store.  Everyone has different needs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Really?  Checking out multiple companies certainly makes complete sense to me.  I check the cruise line insurance AND call the insurance store.  Everyone has different needs.

Sure but there is no reason to reject cruise line insurance outright as post #7 advised. Cruise lines contract with insurance companies to provide a branded product for their guests. In the case of Princess, it is Nationwide. While the medical coverage may be minimal, there are instances when it is a reasonable choice.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Babr said:

I spent my career in insurance and have been on over 30 cruises.  Cruise line insurance is overpriced for the coverage you get.  In addition read the hundreds of posts on these boards and see who the cruise line insurance companies side with when there is a dispute. You need to customize the insurance to the coverages you need not just generic coverage provided by the cruise line.  

9 hours ago, bigeagle12 said:

I spent my career in insurance and have been on over 30 cruises.  Cruise line insurance is overpriced for the coverage you get.  In addition read the hundreds of posts on these boards and see who the cruise line insurance companies side with when there is a dispute. You need to customize the insurance to the coverages you need not just generic coverage provided by the cruise line.  

Then you know that states regulate insurance in order to address pricing among other things. Cruise lines merely sell a product with their name on it. They neither underwrite the policy nor process the claims.  There is little incentive for Nationwide to side with the cruise line.

We do agree that cruise line insurance provides pretty  basic coverage. There are more comprehensive policies; however, cruise line insurance can be useful when age impacts the cost or when CFAR is a priority.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Standard insurance is 8% of cruise fare -75% FCC for CFAR. Platinum is 12% of cruse fare- 100% FCC for CFAR ( Captain Circle Platinum and Elite pay the 8% and receive Platinum insurance). 

FCC typically good for 12 months, requested extensions may be granted at Princess discretion. 

https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-vacation-protection/

Thanks. That's my understanding also. My TA is usually very knowledgeable about such things, which is the only reason I am pursuing this. I'd hoped that maybe my TA had some "special knowledge" or offer from Princess to offer that reduced $69 cost. I'm temping to have him quote in writing that cost includes CFAR as outlined at Princess Vacation Protection at Princess.com. If so, that CFAR IMO would be a real bargain. I already have excellent insurance for our trip, but there is no CFAR clause like the PVP has. At my age CFAR becomes more important every year. Alternately I could get the PVP insurance at 8% of the cruise's cost JUST to get the CFAR coverage. However, that would add about $280 to my insurance for this trip.....is that worth it just to get the added CFAR protection? I'll have to think on that one.....🤔

Doug

• Like 2

I have not been able to download the actual certificate of coverage for specific states from the Princess website, but you’ll find a summary there as provided in the post you quoted.

As noted the cost of coverage is 8% for Standard and 12% for Platinum. Both of the Princess plans include a provision for FCC under CFAR with 75% at Standard and 100% at Premium.

Perhaps your TA was referring to the new minimum premiums that were established as of January 2022 for new bookings after that date. Those would apply to very inexpensive fares which would not reach the set amount at 8 or 12%. 

11 hours ago, Babr said:

Then you know that states regulate insurance in order to address pricing among other things. Cruise lines merely sell a product with their name on it. They neither underwrite the policy nor process the claims.  There is little incentive for Nationwide to side with the cruise line.

We do agree that cruise line insurance provides pretty  basic coverage. There are more comprehensive policies; however, cruise line insurance can be useful when age impacts the cost or when CFAR is a priority.

The CFAR is only  reason I purchase it.  The medical coverage is not very much but medicare doesn't cover you outside the country so you need something.  But we also purchase an annual plan with much better medical coverage.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Babr said:

I have not been able to download the actual certificate of coverage for specific states from the Princess website, but you’ll find a summary there as provided in the post you quoted.

As noted the cost of coverage is 8% for Standard and 12% for Platinum. Both of the Princess plans include a provision for FCC under CFAR with 75% at Standard and 100% at Premium.

Perhaps your TA was referring to the new minimum premiums that were established as of January 2022 for new bookings after that date. Those would apply to very inexpensive fares which would not reach the set amount at 8 or 12%. 

Oh, I have the download you mention for my state. I understand what is/is not covered; other than trying to find how long an CFAR FCC would be valid. Apparently that length of time is unknown to anyone.

But you may be onto something there. But what is the "minimum"? The lowest I could find was $59 at the Princess.com link, which is the minimum one would pay, I'd assume for a really short cruise, maybe 2-3 days in an interior cabin. But even that fee doesn't match the $69 my TA quoted. We're Platinum, so we'd pay 8% of our trip's cost for Premium PVP insurance. That's a far cry from $69 each!

I think my TA is wrong, but that's very much unlike him. My final payment is in only a couple of weeks, so I will have to decide soon....most likely I will just stick with the insurance (non-Princess) and forgo an CFAR coverage. That's a shame. Hopefully the world and my situation will improve by then, eh?😉

13 hours ago, suzyed said:

Does anyone know how long it takes for the cancellation and the FCCs to be returned to your account once you "activate" the CFAR?

I couple of years ago we did that, and I don't recall it took long. But then insurance has changed since then I am sure.

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Oh, I have the download you mention for my state. I understand what is/is not covered; other than trying to find how long an CFAR FCC would be valid. Apparently that length of time is unknown to anyone.

But you may be onto something there. But what is the "minimum"? The lowest I could find was $59 at the Princess.com link, which is the minimum one would pay, I'd assume for a really short cruise, maybe 2-3 days in an interior cabin. But even that fee doesn't match the $69 my TA quoted. We're Platinum, so we'd pay 8% of our trip's cost for Premium PVP insurance. That's a far cry from $69 each!

I think my TA is wrong, but that's very much unlike him. My final payment is in only a couple of weeks, so I will have to decide soon....most likely I will just stick with the insurance (non-Princess) and forgo an CFAR coverage. That's a shame. Hopefully the world and my situation will improve by then, eh?😉

Count on one year for FCC. That has been the standard. Anything else would be a gift.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I can share my personal experience from earlier this year, although I'm not sure how typical it is. I canceled my cruise on March 24 and submitted a claim to the insurance on March 25, under the CFAR clause from the Platinum level vacation protection. My FCC was issued on April 11 and it states I must sail by end of 2023. 

image.thumb.png.bd1ac17ebc703b13a91288919bbbf1f0.png

Edited by cemolly
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, cemolly said:

I can share my personal experience from earlier this year, although I'm not sure how typical it is. I canceled my cruise on March 24 and submitted a claim to the insurance on March 25, under the CFAR clause from the Platinum level vacation protection. My FCC was issued on April 11 and it states I must sail by end of 2023. 

That is very helpful. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cemolly said:

So it is not exactly 12 months from issue but by the end of the next calendar year.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Babr said:

Count on one year for FCC. That has been the standard. Anything else would be a gift.

Even a non-attorney like me will say if it ain't in writing, it ain't binding. Of course, the attorney in me would say if there is no end date in the length of the FCC credit, it's valid forever. 😉

19 hours ago, cemolly said:

We had an odd situation. I canceled our Feb 2022 Princess cruise which gave me a FCC good until December 2022. I figured I could not use it based on our existing schedule. Then September 2022 we got an email extending that FCC until the end of September 2023. That added 9 months allowed us to schedule a Princess cruise next March.

Doug

• Like 1