Dance options on different cruise lines

joannelj

I’ve cruised on Carnival, NCL, and RCCL. I’ve enjoyed them all - they all have different pros and cons. 
I love to dance. But as I get older, I’m finding most of these ships are geared towards the younger generations- understandably so. 
I’m looking to branch out into other cruise lines - maybe Celebrity, Princess, Holland America - and wondering which one might have dance options more aligned with my age. 
I’m most interested in music from the 70s, 80s, and some 90s. I guess now that is considered “oldies”.  (Although to me, oldies will always be the 50s.). 
On a Carnival cruise, they had an 80s dance party, and it was packed. It only lasted 30 minutes, and then they switched the music to something much more current. Within 5 minutes, the place was empty, and every time I walked by that evening, it continued to be empty. It seems to me that lots of people enjoy 80s music - not just those of us that actually grew up then. 
I’d  love to find a cruise line that targets, at least a little, my age group. 
I know there are theme cruises, but that’s not what I’m after. I want a cruise line that I can be loyal to, knowing that I will probably be able to find some music I enjoy.  

27 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

We like to dance, but are not wonderful ballroom dancers. In the last few years, we are considered good dancers. Shows you how sad ski!led dancing is today.😅

We are probably also in that category. We do also have the problem that we approach dancing totally differently. DW wants to get the steps perfect; I just want the music to move my body. It gets interesting as she tries to lead although one of the basic rules of ballroom dancing is he leads, she follows. 😉

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

one of the basic rules of ballroom dancing is he leads, she follows. 😉

I grew up "dancing" with my dad -- not skilled ballroom dancing, but living-room dancing to various "oldies". My husband was very uncomfortable on the dancefloor, but I told him: "I will lead but make it look like you are leading!" It's a matter of subtle pressure...

On our recent RCI cruise to the Caribbean there was a lot of music from the decades you mention. 

Good dancer?  Mrs Ldubs says just move to the music.  The concept seems hard to me to maintain after a few seconds.   I am the dancing equivalent to tone deaf.   

19 hours ago, joannelj said:

I’ve cruised on Carnival, NCL, and RCCL. I’ve enjoyed them all - they all have different pros and cons. 
I love to dance. But as I get older, I’m finding most of these ships are geared towards the younger generations- understandably so. 
I’m looking to branch out into other cruise lines - maybe Celebrity, Princess, Holland America - and wondering which one might have dance options more aligned with my age. 
I’m most interested in music from the 70s, 80s, and some 90s. I guess now that is considered “oldies”.  (Although to me, oldies will always be the 50s.). 
On a Carnival cruise, they had an 80s dance party, and it was packed. It only lasted 30 minutes, and then they switched the music to something much more current. Within 5 minutes, the place was empty, and every time I walked by that evening, it continued to be empty. It seems to me that lots of people enjoy 80s music - not just those of us that actually grew up then. 
I’d  love to find a cruise line that targets, at least a little, my age group. 
I know there are theme cruises, but that’s not what I’m after. I want a cruise line that I can be loyal to, knowing that I will probably be able to find some music I enjoy.  

I'm struggling to figure out a cruise line that will make you happy, given the conditions you set.  But let me put some notes out there; maybe they will be of help to you or someone else:

• You should give a second look to themed cruises.  The Ultimate Disco Cruise, for example, has bands from the 70s and 80s that pump out the dance music almost all the time, multiple dance floors (they even convert one of the MDRs to a dance floor at night), and background music from the 70s.  Themed cruises are of little use to building brand loyalty, but the immersion is maximized, as is the dance opportunities.
  • Princess has a few cruises with an 80s theme that might be worth a look.  I'm a veteran of one of those cruises, and though I didn't venture on the dance floor then, the background music was exclusively 80s, so I assume the dance floors would have featured the same.  Again, there are only a few of these, so they're no basis for cruise line loyalty.
  • On my most recent cruise on Celebrity, they had two silent disco nights.  Each music headphone features three music channels - maybe you'll consistently find something you like on one or more of them?
  • Also on my Celebrity cruise, there was an 80s night in one of the lounges.  That sounds like it would have been a winner with you, but it was just one night.
  • Carnival has 80s days on their longer, Journeys cruises.  This involves more than music and dancing, but dancing and music is a part of those days.
  • Most cruise lines I've been on have soloists/duos/bands in the atrium and/or Lido deck that pump out the jams.  Both areas have areas where you can dance if you want.  Maybe they can be persuaded to play what you want for as long as you can stand it (or until their break or quitting time)?
  • Carnival and perhaps other cruise lines have pianists.  Though the lounges they hang out don't look too good for dancing, where there's a will, there's a way??
  • HAL has been upping their music game the past few years, as one other poster noted
  • It's hard to imagine Virgin Voyages not looking for cruisers like you.  I haven't heard much about the clubbing scene there, but maybe there's a fit?

I'm sorry I wasn't of much help.  Good luck with whatever cruises you will go on in the future.

MSC cruises from the US seem to have a lot of good dance music, and participation.

RC, at least on the smaller ships such as Enchantment, always have a band in Centrum, as well as a Silent Disco once or twice, and DJ late at night in Viking Crown.

I would agree with Navybankerteacher, that Cunard has some decent dancing options.  The QM2 has a large "ballroom" where there is an expansive real dance floor.  On one of our crossings they put the two ship's bands together and had a "Ball" with music provided from a true Big Band (with singer).  There were actually dozens of couples who were quite skilled at ballroom dancing that added to the wonderful atmosphere.   HAL used to have some decent live music dancing (and even had some dance hosts who would dance with the ladies) but much of that is gone...that line having significantly cut-back on live music.  On some ships they still have their "BB King" groups that play dance sets.  With those groups we have heard everything from Blues, R&B, Disco, etc.  But being HAL, you never know what you will get until you are on the cruise and might find yourself on an evening when the main entertainment is a BBC Documentary on the Animals of the Sahara or something similar.

Hank

• Like 1

There are multiple live music venues every evening on all the Pinnacle-class ships on Holland America (Rotterdam, Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam).  The dance floors at B.B. King’s and Rolling Stone Rock Room are usually packed every night.  There is also Billboard Onboard but I cannot comment on that venue as I have never been.  This link will give you a brief overview of what to expect:  HOLLAND AMERICA LIVE MUSIC

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I would agree with Navybankerteacher, that Cunard has some decent dancing options.  The QM2 has a large "ballroom" where there is an expansive real dance floor.  On one of our crossings they put the two ship's bands together and had a "Ball" with music provided from a true Big Band (with singer).  There were actually dozens of couples who were quite skilled at ballroom dancing that added to the wonderful atmosphere.   HAL used to have some decent live music dancing (and even had some dance hosts who would dance with the ladies) but much of that is gone...that line having significantly cut-back on live music.  On some ships they still have their "BB King" groups that play dance sets.  With those groups we have heard everything from Blues, R&B, Disco, etc.  But being HAL, you never know what you will get until you are on the cruise and might find yourself on an evening when the main entertainment is a BBC Documentary on the Animals of the Sahara or something similar.

Hank

Op is interested in tunes from the 70's, 80's, and 90's.  Does that fit with ballroom dancing?  I honestly don't know.   I've also watched those skilled in the ballroom dance steps.  Very impressive.  Same for when a group of folks join for line dancing.  How can they learn to follow so quickly is beyond me.  

I was in the RCI Oasis "Music Hall" listening to a band play a lot of popular older songs from my era.  One pair on the floor, the guy was trying to do the ballroom steps & twirls. His partner just kind of wanted to shake her booty to the music.  She may or may not have been slightly toasted but either way they weren't on the same page.   Lol.   

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I forgot to turn on notifications, and then my feeble brain forgot that I'd posted for a few days - I would like to thank everyone for all the different options you've thrown out.  It'll take me a bit of research to check them out.

Honestly, I really love the idea of the silent disco - that sounds like a blast.

I will dig some, and I will even look at the theme cruises.

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Before I left Carnival due to their Covid worship and their new lack of paper schedules and menus, I sailed with them.  They always had a Latin night on the main promenade, with salsa, bachata, and other dance music played by a live band.  And on other nights, they had light rock music you could swing dance to.  (Songs like the "Come Fly with Me" or "Rock Around the Clock".)  There were always people on the dance floor.  It was mainly 20- thru 40-somethings, with a smattering of older teens joining in.  But no age group was excluded.  If you wanted to dance, you just did it, either with the person you came with or by asking a willing taker.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just what is "...Covid worship..."?

Draconian masking and social distancing, eliminating social experiences that make cruising fun, banning sharing of tables, making QR codes mandatory for everything, etc.  Carnival was like that last year, and might still be.

13 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Draconian masking and social distancing, eliminating social experiences that make cruising fun, banning sharing of tables, making QR codes mandatory for everything, etc.  Carnival was like that last year, and might still be.

We were on carnival earlier this year.  The pandemic protocols seem to pretty much be a thing of the past. 

Saying draconian would be excessively harsh.  😀

14 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Efforts to contain a disease can hardly be thought of as practicing worship of that disease.

• Like 1