LOUSY CRUISE ON ZUIDERDAM

FLcruiser2011

We are currently aboard Zuiderdam, en route from San Diego to Port Everglades.  This may be the worst cruise we have had in 100+ cruises on pretty near every cruise line.in

It started on a strange note.  A day before the cruise, we got an email telling us our exact embarkation time had been moved slightly to 1:05 pm.  OK.  If that kind of precision is needed to avert long lines, fine with us.  So we arrived at precisely 1:05 and joined several hundred people standing in a slow-moving line under the sun.  Not a very auspicious start.

From that point, it would be hard to find things that have gone well.  One of the planned Central American stops had been cancelled in favor of a sea day weeks before the cruise, and a few days before the cruise, we were told the Nicaragua stop had also been cancelled and we would have another sea day. 

Then this morning came the latest medical emergency (the ship has been having one or more daily) and we sat off the Mexican coast for a half dozen hours waiting for the passenger to be taken ashore. The result of that is yet another stop cancelled this one, Huatulco, Mexico, in favor of (guess what) yet another sea day.

We understand the need to make changes, but when a total of three ports have been cancelled in favor of sea days, we might expect to be told we will get free internet perhaps, or free drinks, or something to make up for it.  Not a word.

So we will see what happens from here, but we sure are wishing we had not taken this cruise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

We are currently aboard Zuiderdam, en route from San Diego to Port Everglades.  This may be the worst cruise we have had in 100+ cruises on pretty near every cruise line.in

It started on a strange note.  A day before the cruise, we got an email telling us our exact embarkation time had been moved slightly to 1:05 pm.  OK.  If that kind of precision is needed to avert long lines, fine with us.  So we arrived at precisely 1:05 and joined several hundred people standing in a slow-moving line under the sun.  Not a very auspicious start.

From that point, it would be hard to find things that have gone well.  One of the planned Central American stops had been cancelled in favor of a sea day weeks before the cruise, and a few days before the cruise, we were told the Nicaragua stop had also been cancelled and we would have another sea day. 

Then this morning came the latest medical emergency (the ship has been having one or more daily) and we sat off the Mexican coast for a half dozen hours waiting for the passenger to be taken ashore. The result of that is yet another stop cancelled this one, Huatulco, Mexico, in favor of (guess what) yet another sea day.

We understand the need to make changes, but when a total of three ports have been cancelled in favor of sea days, we might expect to be told we will get free internet perhaps, or free drinks, or something to make up for it.  Not a word.

So we will see what happens from here, but we sure are wishing we had not taken this cruise.

I am on the ship too.  During the Medical Emergency my father tested positive for covid on a home test I brought from home. I called the medical center and due to the emergency the medical center did not respond til 4:00 PM.  They came to the room and tested both of us.  My Dad was positive and I was negative.  Since my Dad has mobility issues I get to quarantine with him.  They will be testing me every other day.  They are suppose to bring paxlovid but haven’t showed up with it yet

We knew we were taking a chance of possibly getting covid before we left.

San Diego was one screwed up mess.  It has never taken me 3 hours to board a ship anywhere.

Total disconnect between Hal and the pier.

The one thing I can say is that the crew has been wonderful and busting their butts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

You're not alone, friends of mine just came off the Pacific trip and called it the cruise from hell!

1 hour ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

Why would you deem it necessary to test your father on the cruise with a home test?

Did he have symptoms before you embarked?  

Certainly you must have suspected that he was ill.

Do you really expect the ship to provide anti-Covid medications for your dad?

As to your other mention:

Do you think that everyone observed their Boarding time slots?

A - 11:30AM        287
B - 11:50AM        269
C - 12:10PM        251
D - 12:30PM        265
E - 12:50PM        265
F - 01:10PM        259
G - 01:30PM        273
H - 01:50PM        252
I - 02:10PM        251
J - 02:30PM        185

I do not.  

Most arrive early and suffer the consequences because Holland America prioritizes past guests....the same as hotels and airlines do.....because they deserve it. 

Three days into your 14 night cruise, and you are already complaining?

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Why would you deem it necessary to test your father on the cruise with a home test?

I do not.  

Most arrive early and suffer the consequences because Holland America prioritizes past guests....the same as hotels and airlines do.....because they deserve it. 

David

He did not have symptoms before we left home at all.  I brought home tests with me in case we would come down with covid.  In todays world it is a possibility.  You need to accept that.  We left home on Wed.  Stayed in a hotel that night.  We boarded the zuiderdam on Thursday in San Diego where the pier was one screwed up mess. You waited outside for 1-1/2 and inside for 1-1/2 packed like sardines.

There was such a disconnect between HAL and the pier.  Plus. Til you got inside nobody who worked the pier knew which side was up.

I have boarded San Diego many times and have never seen such a mess.  It was totally 👍 unacceptable.

so. Am sorry that you think it was irresponsible of me before I called the medical department.  It could have been a possibility it was a cold.

• Like 10

Ugh. Sorry to hear things haven't gone the way you had anticipated/hoped on your cruise. Hopefully things will be much better the rest of your trip. 

BTW, are you sure you would even want free HAL internet? I mean, haven't you been 'punished' enough already with the port cancellations? 😁

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

I do not.  

David

I had a boarding time at 12:10.  I showed up at 12:30.  Outside people might have showed up early but you were not allowed in til your time was called.  12:10 was called at 1:30.  It was another 1-1/2 hour in the terminal.  Totally unacceptable.  When I got to the pier Security didn’t even want to see my boarding pass.  Was told I needed a blue ticket.  I asked how do I get a blue ticket.  They said I had to get in my time line.  The time lines we’re not on a chronological order just a screwed up mess.

8 minutes ago, dwc13 said:

Ugh. Sorry to hear things haven't gone the way you had anticipated/hoped on your cruise. Hopefully things will be much better the rest of your trip. 

BTW, are you sure you would even want free HAL internet? I mean, haven't you been 'punished' enough already with the port cancellations? 😁

When you are in isolation and can’t go anywhere you get bored.  I have been through the canal twice. So the port changed didn’t bother me.  I got a good deal.  I booked this as a spa cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

So, as part of your lousy cruise so far, you are lamenting about the number of medical emergencies involving your shipmates/fellow pax, resulting in one of them having to be medically disembarked which, you say took six hours to accomplish by the Mexican authorities?  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 14

Tickets (sometimes blue, red, or whatever that day) are handed out at the end of the lines in San Diego.

This is to prevent line cutting.

All you had to do was fall in according to your arrival time posted on your Boarding Pass.

Get a ticket, and proceed in an orderly fashion.

Don't arrive early, as there is no advantage to do so.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 4

Just now, liketraveling said:

When you are in isolation and can’t go anywhere you get bored.  I have been through the canal twice. So the port changed didn’t bother me.  I got a good deal.  I booked this as a spa cruise.

My previous response was directed at OP. I hadn't yet seen your message when I hit the submit button. 

I hope your father recovers quickly and completely, and you continue to test negative and remain healthy. Perhaps you have some good books downloaded to a tablet and access to on-demand programming to help pass the time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Tickets (sometimes blue, red, or whatever that day) are handed out at the end of the lines in San Diego.

This is to prevent line cutting.

All you had to do was fall in according to your arrival time posted on your Boarding Pass.

Get a ticket, and proceed in an orderly fashion.

Don't arrive early, as there is no advantage to do so.

David

They did hand out tickets til the time was called.  I have cruised out of San Diego many times and it was always organized.

This was screwed up.

The disconnect came from Hal and the pier  People were notified two days before by Hal that boarding would not commence til 12:30.  Everyone was expecting to get a new boarding time.  I never got one so had to assume boarding was 12:30.  Well so did everyone else.

The Pier was screwed up because nobody knew which side was up, Hal was for not giving people new boarding times.

when your time was called that was to enter the terminal.  It is another 1-1/2 in line before you get anywhere near boarding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

When my DW asked for Paxlovid it was provided (at a cost). We had insurance and hope it will be reimbursed, but she is worth it either way.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

I do not.  

David

No I did not expect the cruise line to pick up the cost of paxlovid.  We were made aware of the cost.

• Like 3

There have been numerous reports of the slowness at the San Diego port.  I am sorry you were uninformed.  Another reason I rather wait to board until after the lunch crowd boards.   There have been many also reporting that your best course of action is to self-isolate and only call the medical team if you feel you need advanced care.  Cruise ships only have a few medical personnel, they are not floating hospitals - thank goodness. The other alternative is if you are susceptible to a risky case of Covid is not to cruise

I am sorry about your ports being cancelled.  Alt least with HAL your port fees will be returned. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

I just got back from my cruise and took home tests with me.  So did many of my roll call.  I wanted to test if I was the least bit concerned to protect others.  It’s not uncommon at all.  And by the way, I am fully vaccinated with 3 boosters but….

8 hours ago, liketraveling said:

He did not have symptoms before we left home at all.  I brought home tests with me in case we would come down with covid.  In todays world it is a possibility.  You need to accept that.

Completely agree with you.

Sorry you are disappointed in your cruise.  I understand your disappointment on extra sea days but there are reasons for it.  Certainly when there is a medical emergency, I am just grateful it is not myself or one of my loved ones and pray for the person who is being evacuated. 

I wouldn’t dream of complaining it has turned into a Sea day.  It’s beyond anyone’s control.  JMO.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Having learned the hard way (husband came down with COVID on a Celebrity cruise this past October), the doctors on board are reluctant to give Paxlovid to a passenger because you must stop taking your statin drug while you are taking the Paxlovid.  I'm guessing they are fearful of a worse outcome without the statin.  

FYI, we've been on 3 cruises since the beginning of this year.  We ALWAYS took our home testing kits with us.  This last time we needed to use them.  Why wouldn't we want to know?  But a word of advice, if you do use your own kit, DO NOT DISCARD it in the anywhere in the cabin.  Keep it locked up in your luggage.  You never know who's checking your trash...

• Like 5

We have a suggestion for those in high risk categories.  Before you cruise (or travel) ask your own family physician if he/she would advise you to take Paxlovid in the event you tested positive for COVID.  If so, simply explain you will be cruising/traveling and request a prescription.  We carry our own supply (for 2 persons) of Paxlovid along with several home testing kits.  For us, a big advantage of getting Paxlovid at home is that we have a prescription program that pays for the drug.  As very frequent international travelers we carry a pretty decent drug supply to handle most common issues.  

Hank

• Like 6

11 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

I do not.  

David

People will act like children.  If they get turned away enough they’ll maybe learn.  I mentioned this to your colleague and she completely dismissed me.  I boarded on November 12.  You folks let way to many people board at once in boarding group a.  The “jetway” was backed up and soon the escalator was backed up.  There was nowhere to go and people were getting knocked over like bowling pins.  I’m surprised there wasn’t a ton of injuries.  I hope that gets managed better because it could be serious.  Thanks.

I sailed the Zuiderdam on a 7-day just to test it for a 35-day we had previouly booked. I'm so glad I did. I got home and canceled the 35-day. I was in a Neptune Suite and the lounge served exactly the same food all seven days. I spoke to the head honco of the food and beverage department to get an explaination, but instead I got a stern lecture about the food waste on the ship.  What? I didn't feel I was responsible for ALL the food waste, but I guess he thought so. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

You're not alone, friends of mine just came off the Pacific trip and called it the cruise from hell!

Yikes.  I guess I’m glad now we cancelled that cruise.   I know they had some weather issues which are expected.  I was concerned about the lack of entertainment and a few other things but the main reason we cancelled that long cruise was due to medical stuff. 

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

Yikes.  I guess I’m glad now we cancelled that cruise.   I know they had some weather issues which are expected.  I was concerned about the lack of entertainment and a few other things but the main reason we cancelled that long cruise was due to medical stuff. 

Good decision, here are some of their comments and these are people ready to enter the presidents club and never complain:

The ports we did see kept changing dates 
* The food was very poor in taste, quality and selection
* Food supplies ran out after 30 days and so menus were changed to accommodate
* We ran out of Vodka/Drambuie/whiskey/Baileys/Kalua peanuts and a bunch of other things 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sir PMP said:

Good decision, here are some of their comments and these are people ready to enter the presidents club and never complain:

The ports we did see kept changing dates 
* The food was very poor in taste, quality and selection
* Food supplies ran out after 30 days and so menus were changed to accommodate
* We ran out of Vodka/Drambuie/whiskey/Baileys/Kalua peanuts and a bunch of other things 

Thanks for the update.  Makes me re-consider long cruises.  We were booked for the 50 day one from Vancouver.