Cococay Helium balloon and zipline

welshrich

We rode the helium balloon in March and loved it.  It gave us a beautiful view of everything on the island.

Just a warning:  It is often too windy to operate the helium balloon.  We had tried to ride it 4 other visits, but it was always too windy.  When that happens and you have pre-purchased it, they automatically apply the credit to your onboard account.  

My husband has wanted to do their zipline.  But it has also been closed because of wind every time we've been there except the day in March when we rode the helium balloon.  He hadn't purchased the zipline in advance and just didn't feel like doing the zipline that day. 

Edited by D4
  • Like 2

There is a video on YouTube of someone doing the zipline and stating that it was too expensive for what you get / what you see.  

Ziplines are half or less of the cost anywhere else and you actually have a view, not just the water park and the people in it.

2 hours ago, D4 said:

We rode the helium balloon in March and loved it.  It gave us a beautiful view of everything on the island.

Just a warning:  It is often too windy to operate the helium balloon.  We had tried to ride it 4 other visits, but it was always too windy.  When that happens and you have pre-purchased it, they automatically apply the credit to your onboard account.  

My husband has wanted to do their zipline.  But it has also been closed because of wind every time we've been there except the day in March when we rode the helium balloon.  He hadn't purchased the zipline in advance and just didn't feel like doing the zipline that day. 

That’s awesome that you got to ride the balloon. I have been to the updated Coco Cay 18 times. The balloon was operational on 2 of those days. The other days it was closed due to wind like you mentioned.  

• Like 1

We used to have a similar tourist balloon ride here at the Philly zoo.  It is nice to float up in the air and get a bird's eye view lay of the land.  Usually those tethered flights are pretty safe. I think it is very enjoyable for all ages. 

I have also splurged and gone on a REAL balloon ride in New Mexico, which is a lot more complex, expensive and risky.  You have to climb in and out of the basket, watch the pilot inflate/deflate, look for the chase team below, keep your fingers crossed the wind is not crazy, etc. You end up floating for miles.   Again, seeing the world from high up and in slow motion is an incredible experience.  The only thing I can compare it with is parasailing, although that goes by more quickly.

We have gone zip lining a lot-- the most risky was in Mexico (they gave us a stick to hold the line as we zipped over a lake), the hardest was in New Hampshire in the Winter (heavy coats and boots are bulky and add weight when one is trying to slide along), and the most adventurous was in Alaska, because you have to rappel down tall trees as well. Some of those did NOT have seating--you have to hold your body up around the line.

If you have never gone before, you should consider trying it at least, but know that it is a bit safe and comfortable as compared to some other zip lines out there. It is always fun to ZIP along over everybody!

19 hours ago, welshrich said:

Hi, RC have a 50% off deal for these attractions at cococay, has anyone done them and can advise how it was and if you'd do it again?  

Did the balloon and would do it again any time I could. FANTASTIC 360 degree views of CocoCay and the adjacent islands.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 7:09 AM, Diver2014 said:

There are two types of zipline on Coco Cay - one where you sit up in a harness and the other where you lay flat and go head first.  Both were horribly expensive for a few minutes of thrill.

Sounds more like the Labadee zip lines.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, graciekelli said:

Can you tell me if we purchase these now, are we able to cancel and get a refund if we change our minds?  I have never gone ziplining and I might chicken out.

This is the policy for excursions: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-is-the-cancellation-policy-for-excursions-at-perfect-day-at-cococay