For those from the USA who wonder if Thanksgiving will be celebrated onboard

azbirdmom

Good friends of ours are currently enjoying sailing to Queensland on the Grand Princess.  Since the ship is filled with Aussies they were wondering if the MDR would offer turkey today. Well the fine staff on the Grand Princess not only is offering turkey, but they are having a special celebration for their US guests. Well done Princess!

297CEC38-C5AA-4FBA-A27E-05504FCB365D.thumb.jpeg.6433d8721ae2f2ba121c32361a52208e.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

better than they did on the grand for Canadian thanksgiving last month. In fact the patter offered up “Happy Canada Day”. Bit of an insult.  Canada day is 1st July.  Guess it’s not as important as US thanksgiving 

Terry 

• Like 2

FYI -if you see this in time, be sure to speak with the Director of Restaurant Ops, or a head waiter, tonight Be sure to express your interest to have a Thanksgiving dinner for tomorrow.

One year when we sailed on a Canadian Thanksgiving, I heard a passenger express their disappointment on the day after Thanksgiving. The staff stated that they are more than happy to accomodate requests - if given a reasonable amount of time to prepare the special meal. Good Luck! No harm in asking.

1 hour ago, boone2 said:

better than they did on the grand for Canadian thanksgiving last month. In fact the patter offered up “Happy Canada Day”. Bit of an insult.  Canada day is 1st July.  Guess it’s not as important as US thanksgiving 

Terry 

That is an insult. They should do a little bit of work to get it right at least!

Honestly, though IMHO it isn’t nearly as big in Canada as the US.  We all love our nice thanksgiving dinner, but we often don’t even celebrate it on the right day, lol. Lots of us have it on Sunday instead of Monday so we don’t have to go to work the next day. I didn’t realize how huge Thanksgiving was until a relative who lives in the US explained that it’s more important than Christmas down there as far as family get togethers, obligations, etc. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

That is an insult. They should do a little bit of work to get it right at least!

Honestly, though IMHO it isn’t nearly as big in Canada as the US.  We all love our nice thanksgiving dinner, but we often don’t even celebrate it on the right day, lol. Lots of us have it on Sunday instead of Monday so we don’t have to go to work the next day. I didn’t realize how huge Thanksgiving was until a relative who lives in the US explained that it’s more important than Christmas down there as far as family get togethers, obligations, etc. 

it’s definitely the busiest travel season of the year, more so than Christmas. 

Surprising. When we sailed over (US) Thanksgiving we had a better dinner from the buffet than from the MDR. Princess tries but... I really have to wonder where they can find people who can mess up Pumpkin Pie. Seriously. I've made the "same" pie from a number of different squash varieties and it always comes out great and tastes the same. Make a good pie crust (Hint: When making your crust add as little water as possible. Do it a teaspoonful or so at a time until you have achieved dough that will hold together. Stop adding water at that point.) Like I said, make a good crust and then the rest is just cooked squash (or a can of cooked pumpkin) and spices.

I used to think their apple pie was abysmal.  It has since improved.  I don’t get why the pumpkin is Not Quite Right, either - their pastry people generally execute the recipes well, so I blame someone from Sitmar whose recipe has been handed down like family lore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Surprising. When we sailed over (US) Thanksgiving we had a better dinner from the buffet than from the MDR. Princess tries but... I really have to wonder where they can find people who can mess up Pumpkin Pie. Seriously. I've made the "same" pie from a number of different squash varieties and it always comes out great and tastes the same. Make a good pie crust (Hint: When making your crust add as little water as possible. Do it a teaspoonful or so at a time until you have achieved dough that will hold together. Stop adding water at that point.) Like I said, make a good crust and then the rest is just cooked squash (or a can of cooked pumpkin) and spices.

I always order it thinking that someday it'll improve but it goes in the trash every time. It's like they saw it in a picture somewhere without any recipe and tried to create what they though would be OK.

Sad, because it really isn't that hard to make. 

7 hours ago, koreakruiser said:

October 2018 aboard the Emerald Princess, on a Hawaiian cruise RT from Vancouver.

SAM_1589.JPG

SAM_1590.JPG

SAM_1587.JPG

SAM_1588.JPG

Wow! That is impressive. But it does look a lot more like a Canada Day celebration than Thanksgiving. Where are those fall colours? Someone made an effort, but would they have July 4th decorations for American Thanksgiving?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Wow! That is impressive. But it does look a lot more like a Canada Day celebration than Thanksgiving. Where are those fall colours? Someone made an effort, but would they have July 4th decorations for American Thanksgiving?

I agree. I was wondering if Canadians celebrate their Thanksgiving with balloons? 🙂 . It is the effort that counts, right?!

• Like 1

My mom and wife are on the Sapphire now.  Not only did they have a Thanksgiving celebration with all of the trimmings, they also get to have a Christmas theme on the ship.  When they left Kona on Thanksgiving day, the Christmas decorations started going up.

• Like 1